Gearbox Remembers Late Fan With Touching Borderlands 2 Tribute

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Gearbox Remembers Late Fan With Touching Borderlands 2 Tribute

Never let it be said that developers don't care about their fans.

When Michael John Mamaril passed away of cancer at the far-too-young age of 22, his friend Carlo thought to memorialize his late pal by petitioning developer Gearbox Software to permanently inscribe Mamaril in the annals of gaming history. This wasn't something that Gearbox had to do, nor was Mamarill previously known to the development team, and yet his memory will now live on in every copy of Borderlands 2.

According to a Destructoid report, the developer complied with Carlo's request and recorded a nearly minute and a half-long eulogy to Mr. Mamaril (which you can hear in its entirety at Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-to-honor-late-fan-as-an-npc-in-borderlands-2-215160.phtml]) via Borderlands' most famous character, the wise-cracking robot Claptrap. Likewise, the company has revealed plans to add Mamaril to the upcoming open-world shooter as a non-player character.

Most impressively, this whole story doesn't come to us via a Gearbox PR blast or some cynically opportunistic representative from Borderlands publisher 2K Games. So far no attempt has been made to glorify this act, despite the fact that it's an intensely touching example of a developer going above and beyond the call of duty to pay respects to a fan of its work.

Thus, it seems even more important somehow that we should applaud Gearbox's kind gesture. Way to make the oft-demonized gaming industry look like a caring community, guys. We could all use more of this.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/gearbox-to-honor-late-fan-as-an-npc-in-borderlands-2-215160.phtml]

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I take off my metaphorical hat to Gearbox a 1000 times over for taking their time to do this.

Also my condolences to the Mamaril family.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Don't cry, don't cry...deadly mercs armed with laser cannons and shotgun sniper rifles don't cry...

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Gearbox. Hey, you guys are actually really cool now!

Bungie should feel threatened that their best fan-base relationship is about to go to Gearbox.

Oh, and Gearbox, good job.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
that's pretty cool. I turn 22 pretty soon and I should be happy that I get to live long enough to play borderlands 2.

..."to Michael!"

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Hard to express how impressed I am by Gearbox, not only taking the time to do this, but then to not say a word about it at all (something many PR departments would love to milk for all its worth and then some I imagine).

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
A pat on the back for you Gearbox (or at least to the person who noticed the petition) and my condolences to a one: Mr.Mamaril

N3vans

Apr 14, 2009
Hold the bus, did Sony get in on this too? Or is this just a coincidence :S Either way I like to think it was deliberate.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
mysecondlife said:
that's pretty cool. I turn 22 pretty soon and I should be happy that I get to live long enough to play borderlands 2.

..."to Michael!"
To Michael!

OT: That was really damn classy Gearbox. It's really great to see developers do things for their fans, and not because they have to, but because they want to. This was a nice touch.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
N3vans said:
Hold the bus, did Sony get in on this too? Or is this just a coincidence :S Either way I like to think it was deliberate.

To Michael... (kinda remembered this has well, but somehow my post was not accepted or bugged out)

Aniway. Thank you Gearbox... you now have our hearts. You have united people in marriage, morned for the dead and you were nothing but at our side.

For me, i am forever alligning my heart to a great company...

Still... one more time this has to be said to what couldv been a great gamer and a great friend, considering his buddy went through all of this to get his name heard.

When i see his NPC on Borderlands, i will raise a glass of Wine and honourfully say: "For Michael!!"

Wayne Bridges

Mar 18, 2011
This makes me proud that at least one game company puts something so random but somehow touching into their game. Makes me proud that i'm a big fan of Gearbox.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
That was nice. A really good idea. I hope the family and friends can appreciate the effort in the same way those escapists above me can...

I thought it would have been better if the robot didn't "step out of character" but well maybe someone would be offended by it.