Gearbox Snags Homeworld Rights

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Sigh I would really love to see a homeworld RPG. I don't imagine we are going to get it though as Gearbox seems to only make shooters.

Master_Fubar23

Jun 25, 2009
Yaaaaaay, looking forward to another disaster from gearbox just like Duke and Aliens. Let the good train wreck roll.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Eh... So you are saying this title has a better chance because the people there want to work on it? Duke Nukem would love to speak to you...
fun fact, DNF wasn't made by Gearbox, it was made by 3D rRealms, and released by Gearbox.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
mirage202 said:
I love RTS but i usually find myself Tropico and Anno more than anything these days, think i like the relaxed pace. But saying that TBS have made a big come back since Civ and XCOM and theres a few indie projects developing there own. I doubt it will be long till the same is true for RTS.

SajuukKhar said:
cursedseishi said:
Eh... So you are saying this title has a better chance because the people there want to work on it? Duke Nukem would love to speak to you...
fun fact, DNF wasn't made by Gearbox, it was made by 3D rRealms, and released by Gearbox.
I wouldn't waste your breath, everyone refuses to believe it.

Whatwhat

Feb 23, 2012
OH THE HUMANITY!!
To add insult to the injury Stardock and Paradox Interactive were second and third in the bidding war.

The Gentleman said:
No love for Stardock?
"Starts leaping up and down, screaming something about the awesomeness of Galatic Civilizations and Stardock in general"

Oh well I guess I will have to be happy with more Crusader Kings II dlc and Sins of a Solar Empire expansions if I want to play any real new strategy games that I haven't mastered yet. (maybe Europa Universalis IV shall quench my thirst for world domination for a while when it finally comes out)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is fucking horrible. Considering Relic still exists and is simply owned by Sega, I was really hoping Sega would pick this up.

Gearbox is not a studio that makes games I like. Even Borderlands I'm not entirely fond of. Homeworld was a strategic and complex game, and one of the very few space RTS games that featured fully 3D ship positioning, and if it sounds hard to control Relic somehow made it work. It was a cerebral game, and a tactical challenge that was made fun and rewarding by a great user interface.

Gearbox, on the other hand, makes games that are built to entertain anyone who has two working braincells to bang together (with the possible exception of the first Brothers in Arms). This is compounded by their abysmal user interface history. Gearbox can't even make equipping a gun from a list a smooth experience on the PC (the fucking scroll wheel glitch is STILL IN THE FUCKING GAME) I have the absolute lowest, and I mean lowest, hopes for this once excellent series.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Man, the tech demo for this is going to be AMAZING!

PS: I'm sad that my favourite dev/publisher Paradox didn't get it, though...

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, nah. I have zero faith in Gearbox making this work.

I can't even bring myself to say that I hope I'm wrong. It in all likelihood won't happen.

I don't blame them for Duke Nukem Forever, and I know they've made good games in the past but this... this has me so skeptical.

Bookmark this article, people. If Gearbox does screw it up in the future, we'll know we all called it.

You know what, I'm anticipating a few horrid things here:
1 - It will lack fully 3D ship positioning.
2 - Larger ships will no longer have sub-systems that can be manually targeted.
3 - Fleetwood Mac will get another round.
4 - Add your own!

Death916

Apr 21, 2008
Any news is good news to me concerning Homeworld. I thought it was completely dead as a franchise.

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
Is this worrisome? Yes.

Is it cause for doom and gloom and end of the homeworld muttering? Not yet.

Let us wait and see what comes of this. Keep hope, and we may even be pleasantly surprised.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Falterfire said:
omicron1 said:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.
If Relic gets involved, I will support this so hard. I loved Impossible Creatures to death. (Impossible Creatures is the Relic game everybody loves them for, right?)
Relic also, you know, made both Homeworld games...

Also, Falterfire is simply wrong. Gearbox is in no way associated with Sega besides helping them secure the license for Aliens Colonial Marines. Gearbox is a privately held studio with no publisher.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
/sadface

One the one hand I guess I should be happy that a new homeworld game happens at all. On the other, It's sad that Gearbox probably doesn't have a clue on how to treat the series properly.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
It would be great to see another Homeworld game...a good one anyway. Even if part me would be downright terrified at the thought of facing off against the Kadeshi again. I never actually made it past the Cathedral of Kadesh level.

Still, here's hoping they can make this work.

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
Good bye Homeworld franchise.

Wait! on the maintenance frequency... I'm receiving a signal from the cryo trays in orbit, one of them is suffering a massive malfunction.

ChemicalAlia

Apr 4, 2010
This thread makes me sad, why do I even click on stuff like this? Also, never even heard of homeworld c: