Gearbox Trying to Honor 12 Years of Duke Nukem Pre-Orders

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
odds are they won't be able to do anything, but it'd be awesome to seem em try. At the very least, it would definitely help them receive plenty of goodwill.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It's crazy that Duke Nukem Forever is now in the hands of people who seem to be doing everything right, even going above and beyond the call of duty.

The only way this makes sense, I think, is if pre-orders essentially become manufacturers coupons for games, which Gearbox has to re-imburse to the respective stores. In this case, they would be taking a loss for the sake of customer satisfaction. I think that will take them far.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
A nice gesture, how how're they gonna honor pre-orders if there's no record, and very few (if any) reciepts still kept after so long? If they try going by word-of-mouth alone, everyone'll say they got a pre-order and Gearbox won't be making much money at all.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
Very, very wise PR move here. It's not going to cost much at all since most pre-orders will have been lost, misplaced or otherwise invalidated and it has the benefit of making everyone believe that you truly care about the customer. (That's not to say they don't).

In any case, I wish more studios would be like this. Good on your Gearbox, I might start to seriously consider Duke Nukem now.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
This is actually the classiest move Ive seen from a game company.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
You know, with everyone bitching about Forever I didn't realize they actually made a whole bunch of other Duke games. Weird.

nmaster64

Nov 7, 2007
sweatm said:
What about pre-orders with retails that have gone out of business? My DNF pre-order was back in 1997 with Babbages. (Anyone else remember them?)
Ghengis John said:
Yeah I was going to bring this up, a lot of stores have gone out of business since then or all but disappeared in that time Including some high profile retailers like Game Crazy.
Firia said:
Did babbages go under, or merge with another business? If they merged, I would contact that companies customer service dept. If they went under... swear heavily?
Gamestop is Babbages. Always been the same company. EB Games and FuncoLand merged with GameStop.

They will probably honor good-condition receipts, but otherwise I'd be surprised if the computer systems still contained pre-orders from as far back as a decade ago.

GameCrazy is completely gone, no stores left. The parent company went bankrupt, so it won't be honoring anything.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
The place I pre-order from doesn't charge anything until the game actually ships. A much better model.