Gearbox Wants Female Duke Nukem Game

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
DementedSheep said:
GonzoGamer said:
IamQ said:
So if Duke Nukem is an overy masculine person, will the female constrast, be extremly feminine?
Sure.
Haven't you ever known an extremely feminine girl who was really into herself? They aint too hard to find.

I would play Dutchess Nukem but I think if they really made it like that, the feminists would complain even more. A self centered woman who is never wrong and never has a hair out of place wouldn't exactly appease feminists.
I agree. Part of the problem seems to be allot of the people complaining don't seem to realise (or a ignore in favour of having something to ***** at)that Duke is meant to be an overblown stereotype. If they make the stereotypical female, especially like what they are suggesting where she has an army of men it will just piss allot them off more for making a woman the stereotype despite the fact that it is exactly what Duke is for the men. But you will never have everyone happy, I have heard complaints that Alyx Vance?s jeans where to tight so people can complain about anything.

Personally I am female and naturally I want equal rights for woman so I guess that makes me a feminist. But Duke Nukem does not offend me and I find capture the babe hilarious, as dose my mother and many of my female friends. Some think it?s stupid and immature (which it is) but the only one of my friends who actually finds it offensive and is hung up over the slap is a guy. I suppose if you just looked at a list of features and had never saw the game itself you could misinterpret what it was.

Tom Goldman said:
Gearbox Wants Female Duke Nukem Game
Daisy Nukem, if you will, would likely be completely different than her male counterpart. While the stereotypical male wants to get right into the action and kick some ass, the stereotypical female might have a stable of beefcakes do her fighting for her, until they all get wiped out and she has to step in to take care of business. She'd probably also find a way to be president of the world or something. Any other ideas?
So a caricature of the Femme fatale? Hell yeah I would play that.but don?t call her daisy. Female Duke = Duchess and that sounds much better.
It?s true that you can never please everybody and while we usually witness overblown outrage on the right wing it?s plentiful on the left too. The thing is that the stupid and immature can be very amusing so we shouldn?t shy away from them in our entertainment. It shouldn?t be the only thing we?re entertained with but a silly caricature never hurt anyone, unless you start mixing that with religious fundamentalism.
The fact is that if you?re looking forward to the next Duke game, there?s probably little that would offend you and any sort of outrage is just free publicity. I think Gearbox should go for it. But she should definitely be called Duchess.

le picklez

Jun 16, 2010
evilthecat said:
As you've said yourself, male egotism is different. We live in a world where women get physically and sexually abused by 'egotistical men' to a staggeringly high degree and the reverse is not true.
Really now? Don't you think it might just not be reported because, oh, nobody will believe a guy if he reports a rape or an assault by a woman. Ever.

Keirgo

Mar 19, 2010
There's something I want to interject now.

It's been said several times now that Duke is a 'masculine' fantasy, something that appeals to men. Yet my masculine fantasy, and indeed, one of my main images of being a 'manly man' is Philip Marlow. A man of ethics and honour and who knows how to treat a lady but is yet to find one he can actually be with amongst the various floozies and murderers his work takes him to. Sexually, yes, I enjoy ideas of dominance and submission, but I have never wanted to be someone like Duke in any way (except for the whole jet pack thing...maybe.) I'm sorry if I made Zeveran sound one dimensional (I sadly haven't been able to play the game too much, so was speaking from what I knew of him) but the qualities that I've seen haven't changed. Charismatic and charming, and while yes, as evilthecat said many men (or me at least) find penis' repulsive, they are only marginally more so than the DA2 sex scences.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Easy DLC, just say that half of the men were turned into pigs and the other half need to be rescued. Replace the posters of chicks and dancers with males and I don't think you would lose anything. Scratch that, you would have to remove unrials, a tragic loss.
You can still drink, smoke, never marry, be rich, be egocentric, carry a shotgun, get shot, laugh at murder and be female. I don't remember anyone saying that Mass Effect Female Shepard was not ladylike. Hell Gears of War 3 is doing this basically.

Gaelen Leroe

Sep 7, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Urich Vannon said:
Nanananananah you guys are all missing it... It's RUBY from WET!! She drinks, smokes, and kicks ass; and has guns, a sword, and a foul-mouth!!
Yes, but is she an over-the-top overexaggeration of all things feminine? As far as I remember her sexuality was never a factor and she was basically a video game version of Kill Bill's Beatrix. Duke Nukem is, however, the epitome of all things that have ever been considered masculine.
Eh... I suppose.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
evilthecat said:
Yeah.. I call this missing the point. Or rather deflecting criticism by throwing the media a stick and running away.

Egoism would not necessitate putting women in positions where they have to be rescued and/or smacked, masculinity does that. Saying 'Duke is an egotistical man, there could be a game about an egotistical woman!' is like saying 'I have spray painted a swastika on this wall, but you could spray paint a maltese cross!'

Yes, so? We weren't talking about some fictional game which doesn't exist, Randy. We were talking about your game which does exist and which does contain content which some people quite justifiably find objectionable. As you've said yourself, male egotism is different. We live in a world where women get physically and sexually abused by 'egotistical men' to a staggeringly high degree and the reverse is not true.

There's one very simple way out of this and the complete reluctance to take it is mind boggling and a little disturbing. Just say 'it's a parody'. How the fuck do you think GTA got away with it? Of course, if the game isn't a parody and it's been played dead serious then don't be surprised if that shit doesn't fly in the 21st century. It's a tradeoff.
I have to agree with you. Duke is a mysongnist. Women being portrayed as helpless beings that need a man to save them is that. The fact he only values women as sex objects is that. Even though there is a certain degree of equality because Duke only sees his other fellow males just as low (because they're not him) doesn't change that fact.

Instead of trying to deflect it, they should just flat out say it, claim it, and own it. It doesn't make the Duke game garbage, it is still a parody of it. Everything about Duke is so colorful and over the top it's not meant to be taken serious. Your not suppose to look at Duke and think he's the greatest human being alive or thats how anyone should act. It's all done for laughs and shock value.

Kinda like how you're not suppose to look up to the protagonists in the film Natural Born Killers.

I'm not saying shame on Duke Nukem, God no. I LIKE it for these reasons. but it is what it is.

Bluexstriker

Sep 30, 2010
Eh, I'm late, but I'll say it anyway. The thing is, the Dukes antics can be seen as funny, frat boy humour, but I have a feeling that if you had a female equivalent of Duke, trying to get into every mans pants she can find, she'd probably not be very well recieved. Different standards for different genders. Still, it'd be interesting.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
drdamo said:
Assuming its gonna be another fps, I wonder what her name will be... Jill Killem? Maria Murderem? Katie Krushem? Rose Bulldozem?
Liz Vicious(NSFW)? That name's alredy taken though, and a mod of Sid Vicous though. And doesn't sound like it, but I felt like saying it.
If Duchess Duke was ultra feminine, it could be a strategy game where you control armies of men to fight your enemies.