Gears of war 3 Yey or ney ?

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
Mostly ney because I didn't enjoy GoW2. The multiplayer seemed trite and the single player just wasn't as engaging. I'll probably rent it and split screen it with my friend in one night. I wish they would focus on more characterization/dialogue between Marcus and Dom. I'd rather them be a bit more human. I loved the scene where Dom found Maria. Even though going in the front was stupid and illogical I felt like it was the right way to go. I really wanted to kill the locusts, I felt mad for what Dom had to do and what they did to Maria. I hardly ever feel that emotion in an FPS. I would love not just to see the bromance between Marcus and Dom, but feel it. Considering how it's being shown that the humans are on their last rope I'd love to see Marcus and Dom go out with a bang, but not cliche or cheesy. I keep thinking of the good ending in Infamous 2. Zeke's epitaph left me in tears.

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
Preordered it from Amazon, it comes in the mail tomorrow. I love Gears of War :) nothing wrong with a little overly macho, testosterone driven, gritty brown shooter every now and again, it's the sheer number of them that's the problem. I think GoW is the only one I actually like of this though. You got to hand it to Microsoft: They might not have a lot of exclusives, but the ones they do have can keep you entertained for a long time.

Apr 5, 2008
Yay or nay? I cannot say it better than Professor Wurnstrom (Wuuuuuuuuurnstrom!!!), Bubble Gum Tate or Dr. Schpeak Undschpell.
[/youtube]​

Too much homoerotic machismo for me.

Apr 5, 2008
Yay or nay? I cannot say it better than Professor Wurnstrom (Wuuuuuuuuurnstrom!!!), Bubble Gum Tate or Dr. Schpeak Undschpell.

Too much homoerotic machismo for me.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
ghost whistler said:
kman123 said:
cplsharp said:
kman123 said:
Looks pretty amazing. Always got chills at the 'Brothers to the end' thing. But of course the game is NEVER like the trailers. Shame. Still, I'll be picking it up at the end of the week.
i get the shivers too, and yeh its very true that the game will probably be nothing like the trailers, but we can all hope right :D ?
Reviews state that there is an adequate amount of 'bromance' and some pretty shoehorned in emotional bits. My hopes are still high. If they can hit the level of emotion that Gears Of War 2 did in that on scene with Dom and his wife, I'll be more than satisfied.
God I hope they don't even try. It's a video game, not a hallmark greeting card.
I kind of hope they try. It was great fun watching his wife get shot in the face because he wouldn't fucking shut up about her.

Now Tai. That genuinely made me feel bad for the guy.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
The only reason I'm getting it is for the coop. I have a friend who has not shut the fuck up about the game for like 3 months. I'll get it to play the game with him, sure. And he's one of those people who rarely buys any games whatsoever, so this is one of the few chances to play a new game with him.

Gears has always been a game I found to be hard to enjoy. On one hand, the action is solid, the Locust are pretty tough and there's many different kinds of them, some levels feature some pretty interesting gameplay design, and the campaign coop is highly enjoyable.
On the other hand, the story is almost non-existent and the characters are almost universally unlikeable.

Although it's a decent game "where it matters". I won't bother taking the rest of it seriously, story/characterwise. I'll probably only pay attention to cutscenes or dialogue to marvel at how godawful the characters are.

So it's a reluctant yay for me.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I won't buy it because I don't have a 360, and because Epic decided to stay the PC gamers in the back with the "all PC gamers are pirates" excuse rather than admitting to the real reason...

Mar 30, 2010
Nah. Gears was a bit of mindless fun, but Gears 2 put me off the series after I finished it in an afternoon. On my first playthrough.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Gears and Gears 2 were fun, but not fun enough to buy at full price. Combine that with the fact that I'm really cutting back on my video game spending and time, it's just not worth it. Pretty sure that skyrim is the only game I intend to buy in the future.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
My experience with the Gears of War series...

I watched my friend play the first one for about 15 minutes. The big burly guy took up most of the screen, but the rest of the screen was filled with gray and brown rubble.

The graphics were very sharp, but there wasn't really anything interesting for eyes when the only color I noticed was gray.

The gameplay seemed like a beefed-up, cover-based, Resident Evil 4.

I'm not a huge fan of third-person shooters (I'll take them or leave them, on a case-by-case basis), and nothing about Gears has jumped out at me as something that seemed interesting to play. Also, I feel compelled to wrinkle my nose when Gears comes up as it has contributed to the industry's obsession with cover-based shooting and "gray-brown loads of bloom," as Yahtzee calls it.

Sep 14, 2009
definite yay

love the combat, love third person, and i absolutely LOVEEE the way they do co-op, so i will buy it even though i don't have a 360 anymore..(time to ninja' my brothers off him without him realizing it)

plus beast/horde? you bet your ass i'm gonna have some hella good times with friends playing those.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Yay. Probably going to pick it up some time next week, bit busy this week. It just looks like a little too much fun for me to pass it up. New horde mode just looks like everything I ever wanted from a Gears game.

suxturdman

Jun 19, 2011
cplsharp said:
suxturdman said:
cplsharp said:
personally i'm buying it because the story hasn't let me down so far, and i always feel awkward not finishing a good story ! :D
Really?! I feel like the story in Gears of War 2 was kinda a let down from the sort of non-existing one in the first game. Although after reading all the Gears of War novels that's been released up to date I am super excited for the third game so I am definately picking it up. Especially since they went back to basics with the mp, I loved the beta!
Yeah, gears 2 felt a bit empty, but there was that feeling of futility through both 1 & 2 and i like that feeling in games, knowing that this is a far superior and larger force than your own makes it feel epic in a sense haven't read the novels yet but will be doing =]
'

Now that I can agree with! You really should, some of them can feel a bit long but in the third and fourth one you get to follow Baird around a bit which is awesome ;D

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A bunch of people at work were talking about it and at least 3 of them are going to midnight releases. Personally though, I'm passing it up. I felt lukewarm about Gears and greatly enjoyed Gears 2 but with Gears 2, I waited until I could get the All-Fronts edition (or whatever the complete edition was called) for about $30. So, I'm going to do the same exact thing for Gears 3: once Gears 3 complete is released I'll grab it up.