Geekiest habits that you have.

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
kayisking said:
I always keep a twenty-sided die in my pocket, and use it to make decissions when I don't know what to do.
I use a coin, but I totally understand this, when I'm feeling indecisive I flip the coin. If I then override the coin's decision, then I know that I made the choice I subconsciously wanted to make, and if I don't then it likely didn't matter. (people give me weird looks for that)

Often muttering so people don't hear me when I'm surrounded by not nerds, but I'll frequently refer to things in terms of d20 rules (especially skill checks)

Doc's friend: Hey Doc, blah blah blah blah
Doc: Sorry I failed my listen check, repeat that?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
My sister and I can spend HOURS just discussing what actors we think would be good to play certain characters in hypothetical movies.

...I think that's my dorkiest habit/hobby

Parivir

Jul 20, 2009
I (sadly) have no friends that are anywhere near as geeky as me so I have no one to play D&D with or MTG for that matter and it pisses me off no end, I have tried to get my firends to play D&D and it lasted 4 games, 5 people the first one then 4, 3 and then just 1.
The nearest hobby center I think was 20 miles away but that closed down, the nearest place that sells D&D stuff is a 100 mile round trip with me having no form of transport.
Dispite this I routinely make characters as well as level them, I also run practise drafts for mtg.
Ah devon, the geeks are so very few and far between. :(

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Not quite sure if this qualifies, but: Looking stuff up on Wookiepedia.

I swear I can feel my virginity growing back.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
I make My Little Pony memes, I buy anime statues (only two so far), I quote Red vs Blue regularly, I routinely engage in tabletop RPGs, and I play Firefight on Halo: Reach almost religiously.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
docSpitfire said:
kayisking said:
I always keep a twenty-sided die in my pocket, and use it to make decissions when I don't know what to do.
I use a coin, but I totally understand this, when I'm feeling indecisive I flip the coin. If I then override the coin's decision, then I know that I made the choice I subconsciously wanted to make, and if I don't then it likely didn't matter. (people give me weird looks for that)

Often muttering so people don't hear me when I'm surrounded by not nerds, but I'll frequently refer to things in terms of d20 rules (especially skill checks)

Yeah I've also noticed I do that. I flip the coin and then I think "Oh, I'm gonna do it again." At that point I realize I've already decided in my mind.

Chappy

May 17, 2010
Does playing online MTG count as a habbit? If yes then that.

If no my computer is rarely off or Warhammer take your pick. ^^

Pietho

Nov 6, 2008
For our first Valentines my wife (then girlfriend) and I bought Nerf Guns. The wars been going on for 7 years now.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
docSpitfire said:
kayisking said:

The irony is that I'm not even a D&D player. I would really really really love to learn the game but I sadly don't know anyone that plays.

docSpitfire

Jun 13, 2011
kayisking said:
The irony is that I'm not even a D&D player. I would really really really love to learn the game but I sadly don't know anyone that plays.
you can try a variation on what I did... I learned a little, emphasis on little, and then moved home... pointed at a small handful of friends and said "you would enjoy this, get your head out of your ass, table top gaming is more social/fun than many of the far nerdier things you enjoy and you owe me the chance to prove it" The stigma is the hardest part about recruiting new players.

In your case find someone who's played before and is willing to run the first game (those with patience to GM often have patience to teach those who are new... as both require a lot) and then pick a handful of friends who you think might be interested and get them to 1 session, bribe, lie, call in favors, just get them to sit down and give it an honest chance, and you'll likely convert many. With Split-screen coop dying out, it's one of the most social nerd activities out there. I just got back from my weekly session... I started learning to play 2 years ago, and today I just wrapped up the last session in a 4 month long campaign (once a week) that I've been GMing...

Also one thing that can impede a group from starting is cost but here are a couple cash savers.
1) for your first session, either borrow dice or buy them at a game/hobby/math/whatev store (Seattle folks, Math-n-Stuff on Roosevelt is a personal recommendation) you can usually find bins or whatev where each dice is like a quarter or something, don't buy a matching set you'll pay twice as much. Grab a handful of 20's, and hand full of 10s (make sure the 10's are not all the same color or have a couple with 00-90 marked instead of 0-9) a few 8's (which can pull double duty as 4's if you're really cheap) and then loot some sixes from any board games you have around the house.

2) Unless you have a friend who has all the 4e books and insists on playing that edition (this isn't about which is better etc. edition wise) play 3.5e... The reason is that http://www.d20srd.org/ is a free and legal website with all the 3.5 core books (the 3 you need to play) since they make old editions rules public domain.

3) Don't use minis, use coins, extra dice, whatever, minis are expensive. Also if you parties fighting 6 goblins, having 6 dice turned to a different number helps confusion.
"I hit the goblin"
"which one"
"the one near me"
"you're surrounded"
"the one to my left"
"from the direction your mini is pointing?"
"no I'm supposed to be facing this way" *turn mini*
"oh ok"

can become
"I hit goblin #3"

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
docSpitfire said:
kayisking said:
you can try a variation on what I did... I learned a little, emphasis on little, and then moved home... pointed at a small handful of friends and said "you would enjoy this, get your head out of your ass, table top gaming is more social/fun than many of the far nerdier things you enjoy and you owe me the chance to prove it" The stigma is the hardest part about recruiting new players.

In your case find someone who's played before and is willing to run the first game (those with patience to GM often have patience to teach those who are new... as both require a lot) and then pick a handful of friends who you think might be interested and get them to 1 session, bribe, lie, call in favors, just get them to sit down and give it an honest chance, and you'll likely convert many. With Split-screen coop dying out, it's one of the most social nerd activities out there. I just got back from my weekly session... I started learning to play 2 years ago, and today I just wrapped up the last session in a 4 month long campaign (once a week) that I've been GMing...

Also one thing that can impede a group from starting is cost but here are a couple cash savers.
1) for your first session, either borrow dice or buy them at a game/hobby/math/whatev store (Seattle folks, Math-n-Stuff on Roosevelt is a personal recommendation) you can usually find bins or whatev where each dice is like a quarter or something, don't buy a matching set you'll pay twice as much. Grab a handful of 20's, and hand full of 10s (make sure the 10's are not all the same color or have a couple with 00-90 marked instead of 0-9) a few 8's (which can pull double duty as 4's if you're really cheap) and then loot some sixes from any board games you have around the house.

2) Unless you have a friend who has all the 4e books and insists on playing that edition (this isn't about which is better etc. edition wise) play 3.5e... The reason is that http://www.d20srd.org/ is a free and legal website with all the 3.5 core books (the 3 you need to play) since they make old editions rules public domain.

3) Don't use minis, use coins, extra dice, whatever, minis are expensive. Also if you parties fighting 6 goblins, having 6 dice turned to a different number helps confusion.
"I hit the goblin"
"which one"
"the one near me"
"you're surrounded"
"the one to my left"
"from the direction your mini is pointing?"
"no I'm supposed to be facing this way" *turn mini*
"oh ok"

can become
"I hit goblin #3"
It sounds like a blast, but I don't have that many friends and I doubt I could learn it by myself. I really need to find somebody who already plays.

jack583

Oct 26, 2010
it's not a habbit, but i have an online girlfreind, we do plan to meet in real life though

though a habbit of mine is to turn my computer on first thing in the morning

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
When i wake up I automatically have computer and x-box running.
I spend more time reading up strategies and thinking about games then i do playing them.
I left my girlfriend when cataclysm came out...and i don't really want to go into detail on that one

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Flutterguy said:
When i wake up I automatically have computer and x-box running.
I spend more time reading up strategies and thinking about games then i do playing them.
I left my girlfriend when cataclysm came out...and i don't really want to go into detail on that one
Wow, I also do the reading thing. It's ridiculous, specially with Starcraft 2, I watched so many replays and crap, I hardly even played. And when I did play I won very often though, so I guess it paid off? I'm in diamond league, but I already stopped playing.

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
All of my Youtube subscriptions are for Let's Players, I read D&D books for fun, and I sometimes sketch stick figures having epic battles with each other in my binder.