Gene Simmons Declares War on Anonymous

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Is there any way that both can lose? Please?
What are you talking about? It's a war on the internet. It's well past the "Pissing in an Ocean of Piss" allegory. It's more like the Water Cycle, but with Urine.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
So saying that every college kid that used the service when it first came out as well as the people who created it right when it first came out would have amounted to what? tops 2 thousand?
'tops 2 thousand'? Please at least try to keep your hyperbole under control (it was considerably more than 2,000).

Metallica named 335,435 people for uploading their music to Napster (so you could assume an order of magnitude more downloaded).

BTW.

My response was to you saying that Simmons had not provoked this attack, when clearly his statements a few weeks ago precipitated annon's actions (and Simmons further comments are designed to keep the publicity rolling in...)

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
Wael Kash said:
Besides which, who gives a shit about KISS? When was the last time they made a hit? or a Flop? or anything outside of a bullshit gimmicky reality TV show?
KISS were always about bullshit gimickry. What do you think all that makeup and 'satan's service' stuff was about? Just because it's 'classic' (ie. old) doesn't mean it's not crappy glam rock with a good publicity team. And I was a teen when they were the Big Thing in the 80's, and I thought they were crappy glam rock then, too. I don't want their music, free or not.

Personally, I think I must be out of the loop. I thought these guys faded to obscurity years ago. I admire Simmons' arrogance though, undeserved as it is for someone who's sole saleable quality seems to be the length of his toungue. Give 'em heaps, anon. The guy's clearly a buffoon.

I do think merely shutting down a site is kind of a lame 'attack'. So they reboot or whatever, and it's back to normal. BFD. Either take it down permanently or take it down daily, but stop with this half-arsed fucking about.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I doubt he'll win, he'll give in eventually, but he'll do the most damage out of anyone that has faced anonymous combined. People making youtube videos insulting them is nothing, I think he may snag a couple guys but anonymous is bigger than a couple guys...

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
captain underpants said:
TechNoFear said:
It is why Gene keeps baiting annon, he wants the publicity (as it sells more KISS crap).
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure even more people will be pirating it.
Not KISS music (as Simmons clearly knows royalties will not keep him rich), KISS merch/collectables (T-Shirts, posters, etc).

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
Imat said:
And again, that's kinda why I hate them. As the article says, these guys think they're somehow above the law.
Sometimes, when a law is unecessary, or stupid or whatever, you need to work outside the law in order to change it, especially when you're an anarchist - work according to a new law, as it were. Consider it practice for when things do change, if they do.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
TechNoFear said:
captain underpants said:
TechNoFear said:
It is why Gene keeps baiting annon, he wants the publicity (as it sells more KISS crap).
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure even more people will be pirating it.
Not KISS music (as Simmons clearly knows royalties will not keep him rich), KISS merch/collectables (T-Shirts, posters, etc).
Ah, right. Stupid of me to think it was about the music, really.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
captain underpants said:
Give 'em heaps, anon. The guy's clearly a buffoon.
It is a pity that annon's actions have not only prolonged Simmons moment in the media spotlight but given him a chance to play the victim (who now fights back against his attackers).

Hopefully the media spotlight will shine equally as brightly on the total ineffectiveness of Simmons bluster (that no one is caught, let alone successfully prosecuted, for the attack on his web site).

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
TechNoFear said:
captain underpants said:
Give 'em heaps, anon. The guy's clearly a buffoon.
It is a pity that annon's actions have not only prolonged Simmons moment in the media spotlight but given him a chance to play the victim (who now fights back against his attackers).

Hopefully the media spotlight will shine equally as brightly on the total ineffectiveness of Simmons bluster (that no one is caught, let alone successfully prosecuted, for the attack on his web site).
Whatever happens, it's looking to be one hell of a show. Unless Simmons realises what an ass he's made of himself and withdraws, but what are the chances of that happening?

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
boo hoo, Gene Simmons and all the other music moguls don't get their royalties to pay off their million dollar houses. Piss off pal...

ThePerfectionist

Apr 5, 2010
FieryTrainwreck said:
JakobLogan said:
First he had a story about a leaking boat (a decent analogy for making his point IMO)
This seems like a throwaway point in this thread, but it's really the heart of the matter.

I don't believe the standard music model, as represented by Gene Simmons and the organizations allied with him, is a boat. A boat, as an object, is really quite beyond reproach. It serves a very specific and valid function. That it should leak is not a given symptom of its nature; leaking is not integral to its existence as a boat.

The boat of our modern day music industry, as presented by Simmons and his ilk, leaks necessarily - because it is not sound. They attempt to make it sound through force of will and litigation, but that does not make it a boat.

For the boat to function as an appropriate analogy for this industry, these leaks would have to be fixable aberrations rather than revealing, systemic flaws.

In other words, I believe the existence of leaks, in this case, means we're not in a boat. It's more like a collection of shoddy, hastily-assembled planks that is quickly coming undone beneath us, as it should. People like Simmons are desperately trying to hold it all together because it generates abnormally lavish lifestyles for them. Despite their cries and legal manipulations, that is not a valid reason to maintain an outlandish system.
It's nice to see that someone is actually focusing on something that might get somewhere rather than the endless back and forth that this thread has degenerated into. I can't really comment because I don't know what analogy Gene made, and I'm long since out of date with the state of the music industry, but your post was so full of actual relevance it deserved a quote anyway.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Heh. I think I'd call this a win-win, whoever loses. But if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on Anonymous. There's a significant number of people out there with decent software to cover their footprints, and despite what Simmons might like to think, the heavy-hitters of law enforcement have better things to do with their time than research DoS attacks on the web sites of washed-up rock icons.

Gene Simmons is a colossal tool. And not just for suggesting everyone get sue-happy, tie everything up with ISP subpoenas, and throw nine-year-olds in the slammer. Do a web search on Gene Simmons' appearance on Fresh Air if you doubt it.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
TechNoFear said:
Krion_Vark said:
So saying that every college kid that used the service when it first came out as well as the people who created it right when it first came out would have amounted to what? tops 2 thousand?
'tops 2 thousand'? Please at least try to keep your hyperbole under control (it was considerably more than 2,000).

Metallica named 335,435 people for uploading their music to Napster (so you could assume an order of magnitude more downloaded).

BTW.

My response was to you saying that Simmons had not provoked this attack, when clearly his statements a few weeks ago precipitated annon's actions (and Simmons further comments are designed to keep the publicity rolling in...)
So saying how things could have been handled warranted an attack? And you are supporting this. So if you had a site and said something 4Chan did not like and they attacked your site you wouldn't be pissed and want to take them down? Seriously Anon has decided to go after someone who has A LOT of resources and money he is not going to go down without a fight.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Paksenarrion said:
lacktheknack said:
What are you talking about? It's a war on the internet. It's well past the "Pissing in an Ocean of Piss" allegory. It's more like the Water Cycle, but with Urine.
I'd like to think that it's more of a Urine Drinking Cycle, where you can harmlessly go back and forth three times before it gets just plain unhealthy. I'm guessing what I'm saying here is that both sides are probably going back and forth a couple times before things get REALLY ugly. Right now, it's just a challenge against each other. The ball's in Anon's court now, but the volleys will definitely be powerful near the end of the match.

Sorry for the twin analogies there, but I suppose both are valid in this situation. If it's going to be a long battle, prepare for near internet war zones to pop up.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Magnatek said:
Paksenarrion said:
lacktheknack said:
I'd like to think that it's more of a Urine Drinking Cycle, where you can harmlessly go back and forth three times before it gets just plain unhealthy. I'm guessing what I'm saying here is that both sides are probably going back and forth a couple times before things get REALLY ugly. Right now, it's just a challenge against each other. The ball's in Anon's court now, but the volleys will definitely be powerful near the end of the match.

Sorry for the twin analogies there, but I suppose both are valid in this situation. If it's going to be a long battle, prepare for near internet war zones to pop up.
It's going to be raining urine on the internet. Like that last fight scene in the last Matrix movie. Except instead of rain, it's urine.