Gene Simmons Declares War on Anonymous

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gene Simmons Declares War on Anonymous

Kiss bassist and Family Jewels man Gene Simmons is going toe-to-toe with the hordes of Anonymous after his personal website was brought down earlier this week as part of Operation Payback.

Whether it's as the fire-breathing, blood-yakking demon from Kiss or the preening, vaguely buffoonish latter-day Ward Cleaver on building successful entertainment brands [http://www.aetv.com/gene-simmons-family-jewels/index.jsp] that the music industry should protect itself from downloaders by suing the pants off anyone and everyone who dares snag a song off the internet, he got the notice of a lot of people who don't exactly share his point of view.

"Make sure your brand is protected, be litigious, sue anybody - take their homes, their cars, don't let anybody cross that line," he said at the time. "The music industry was asleep at the wheel and didn't have the balls to go and sue every fresh-faced, freckle-faced college kid who downloaded a clip, so now we're left with hundreds of people without jobs."

Not long after, Anonymous came a-knockin', hammering Simmons' site into oblivion as part of high-profile law firm [http://torrentfreak.com/4chan-to-ddos-riaa-next-is-this-the-protest-of-the-future-100919/] involved in anti-piracy litigation. The site was eventually brought back online, giving Simmons the opportunity to let Anonymous know that he's in no mood to place nice.

"Some of you may have heard a few popcorn farts re: our sites being threatened by hackers," he wrote. "Our legal team and the FBI have been on the case and we have found a few, shall we say 'adventurous' young people, who feel they are above the law. And, as stated in my MIPCOM speech, we will sue their pants off. First, they will be punished. Second, they might find their little butts in jail, right next to someone who's been there for years and is looking for a new girl friend."

"We will soon be printing their names and pictures," he continued. "We will find you. You cannot hide. Stay tuned."

That's what genesimmons.com [http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/gene_simmons_threatens_anonymous_responds_to_ddos.php] are currently being redirected to the Pirate Bay, with occasional side-trips to a cybersquatter search site.

So who's going to win in this epic clash of the titans? Gene Simmons is a huge Type-A personality and a very shrewd businessman, but baiting Anonymous doesn't strike me as a particularly smart idea for anyone. Whatever happens, I expect plenty of fireworks and amusement along the way. Whoever loses, as the saying goes, we win.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Good luck to him. I am getting sick of this "Don't mess with Anonymous" fear that so many people seem to feel.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Oh, this will be fun ;D. Gene Simmons has basically taken on the Devil's Spawn with this. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top... :p

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Oh wow, war on anonymous? This has resulted in disaster for anyone who resisted so I can't see how this could possibly backfire on him.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
finally... someone's sticking up to these internet terrorists.

and im glad its Gene Simmons \m/ YEAH! ROCKERS DON'T TAKE THIS SHIT!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well so much for liking simmons, he sounds like a pretty big dick

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
I give him a week, tops. You can screw with some of the people in all of the societies, or all of the people in some of the societies, but you can't screw with Anonymous. It'd be like trying to win a fistfight with everything West of Thailand.

Heh. I hope they give it to him straight.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Arec Balrin said:
Legion said:
Good luck to him. I am getting sick of this "Don't mess with Anonymous" fear that so many people seem to feel.
You name makes this ironic.
Anonymous didn't invent the word, nor motto. They borrowed it as I did, so I disagree.

The fact that the name and phrase is from The Bible, and Anonymous are generally seen as an Atheist group, now that's irony.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Gene Simmons doesn't take shit. We all know this. He's too big to fuck with. You don't dare fuck with him. If he says he's gonna do something, he's going to do it.

Bring out the pop corn, this is gonna be AWESOME!

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
That is without a doubt oen of the weirddest titles of a thread ever.

Anyway, awesome.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Finally, about time someone had the courage to stand up against these people.

Succeeds or not(and I kind of doubt he will) at least he doing something about it.

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
In this particular case I'm gonna side with Anonymous. Gene Simmons sounds like a giant tool. Sue every kid who ever downloaded a song? You, sir, are an idiot, and you had this coming for making such an ass-backwards ignorant statement.

BigEaZyE

Sep 10, 2008
Worgen said:
well so much for liking simmons, he sounds like a pretty big dick
Ya, he's a total dick for vowing to go after people who are engaged in illegal activities, including attacking his own site. He should learn that these crimes don't hurt anybody, and that poor college kids can't afford to buy music so should be given it for free.

Oh wait...

El Gostro

Aug 25, 2009
I can t help but picture Picard on facepaint battling borg tribbles.

Has anyone beaten anonymous?

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
You mess with anon, its going to be messy.

They are legion, they do not forgive and they do not forget. Expect us them

OT: I think its pretty stupid to be honest, Gene Simmons is not going to stop the hackers and at the same time, anon isn't going to turn Simmons into the new Jessi slaughter. A waste of time better spent trolling Justin Bieber fans if you ask me.

lemby117 said:
Who is this anonymous?
I'm 12, what is this?

Anonymous is basically the Ubermencht (I think thats how you spell it) that consists of the users of 4chan, a pretty malicious bunch, one that I personally wouldn't like to be threatening over the net.