General Fallout 4 rant thread (Spoilers aplenty)

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Been a while, Ill try to respond to as many as I can ;)

Elfgore said:
Favorite Weapon- I got a special place for the Righteous Authority laser rifle. That epic sound, that pretty good damage, and high ammo count. I'm in love.
Gah I totally forgot about that gun when making OP but yeah that was one of the best uniques I found in the game, even the name is friggin epic: have a taste of my RIGHTEOUS AUTHORITY you super mutant freak!

Otherwise for BoS...I guess in their base form they are kinda lawful evil since they are focused purely on their own selfish goals, and they had no qualms stomping out civilians if they came in between.
It's not quite the case for the BoS of fo4 though, thing is they still have some of Lyons in them even if its not obvious. More then any other faction, the BoS are patrolling the wasteland and actively fighting super mutants and raiders all over the map, in a sincere attempt to secure it for the locals of the commonwealth.

That is something the old BoS would NEVER have done. They might have their old intolerant tendencies back but they even then they are softer around the edges then they used to be (ex: the fact that Elder Maxon can be influenced in regard to Danse's storyline, if it was old BoS, he would have been inflexible), so at very least I'd say there are lawful neutral now. Honestly as long as you're not a synth or mutant, then the BoS are a friendly bunch still, they are still accepting recruits from the wasteland after all, which is part of Lyons legacy since the old BoS would never have done that either, only grudgingly accepting the pc from fo1 under exceptional circumstances, whereas in fo4 they literally welcome you with open arms.

IceForce said:
Alright, an update: (Spoilers!)
Anyway, I'm happy with the ending that I got. Synth mass-production and forced-servitude has now ceased, and the existing synths have been freed.

Oh, and I also... err, 'adopted' uhh 'Shaun', the kid. Blowing up the Institute and taking that kid as my son feels... remarkably weird. I swear this game is messing with my head...
Heh the railroad ending surprises me. I thought they would take over the institute via some sort of synth uprising rather then blow it up entirely... But no matter what they would ensure synth production continues.
Guess I might end up siding with them in a future playthrough after all.

Omg Shaun..I should have added that as a bonus question. The first time I met the shaun kid I felt like the institute was fucking with my pc. When I was on my way out after priming the institute reactor to explode and was told there was this kid that wanted to come along.. It was like the final insult from the institute, and my pc reacted with total hostility "You're NOT shaun, shutup shutup shutup!". Truth be told i half expected this kid to kill me in my sleep years down the line as part of the institutes revenge. Anyways since shooting the kid here and there wasnt an option, I just left the kid at the doomed institute.
*piper disliked that*
Well screw you piper, ive been through a lot with my kid and this is kinda a sore spot for my pc.

SlumlordThanatos said:
I'm not sure if the Minutemen are a faction that you can side with in the endgame; if they are, I should probably start building settlements (ick).
Minutemen are a faction all right, even if they are less interesting and fleshed out then the others.
You'll need at least 8 settlements if I could recall+other settlement development quests you have to do on the way if you want to reach the end game with them.
The silver lining is they do seem to get some fun late game quests where you have to defend the castle against the other factions, finally giving you a reason to restore the castle and make it into an impenetrable citadel.

Otherwise fair enough, Ive actually only found curie this morning xD I passed by that vault but only got the quest leading me to curie on my most recent visit mostly cos i still couldnt believe there was a vault that did not have some sort of screwed up science experiment as its primary purpose. Turns out my suspicions were right!

WolfThomas said:
Its under misc items to build can place it anywhere. There is also a door mat that changes the fast travel location.
Eugh no wonder I wasnt finding it.. Tyvm for the tips, esp the door mat! Now i can spawn directly on top of my doom tower.

God said:
Faction? considering my character and who I like to play based on what I've heard I would probably go brotherhood or institute mostly because I want to exterminate life and keep the chaos going. But if neither one holds that then I go with myself.
Im afraid game doesnt allow you to rp a true lone wolf :/ You'll always roll with a faction and be forced to be somewhat sociable and civilized..At least so the fools will think, mwahaha!

Institute is the faction you want imo, they are basically a ticking bomb in their default form, so with your pc as their boss... The world is doomed :D

Veldie said:
I sided with the Institute honestly they are not as evil as they are talked about if as any as any other faction.

I was roleplay in a mother desperate for her family and wanting to get her son back no matter who she had to take down
Aw at the rping, it does make all the interactions with your son more interesting if you play along with it so totally approve ^^ I played that as my characters motivation as well but once he found Shaun..It was nothing like he expected and game turned into some greek tragedy where the father was forced to slay the wayward son in order to save the world (at least thats how it was from my angle). Glad that at least your story had a bittersweet ending (since im guessing Shaun still dies no matter what..but you kept the new kid Shaun Im guessing).

Regarding the institute.. Evil is such a big word, Id prefer misguided. The thing with the institute is they mean well, at least in theory but living in their ivory tower means they cocoon themselves in their delusions, thinking they are somehow helping humanity even as they mess with FEV for no real reason other then scientific curiosity, or mass producing a race of -I cant even call them robots because by generation 3 they are practically human- synths and giving them sentience then treating them like crap and sowing the seeds for when a synth revolution wasn't just likely, but inevitable.

Still it's not like the other factions don't have their downsides.
Except the minutemen, they are too boring to have any negatives.

Hum since im replying to multiple people and post is getting super lengthy..Making this into 2 parts, hopefully that doesnt run against forum etiquette.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Frankster said:
Im afraid game doesnt allow you to rp a true lone wolf :/ You'll always roll with a faction and be forced to be somewhat sociable and civilized.
Yeah, there's no Yes Man quest line this time.

I'm actually looking forward to all the threads we're going to get. This forum has hosted countless pages of discussion regarding choosing between NCR/Legion/House/YesMan in FONV, and Imperials/Stormcloaks in Skyrim. I can't wait to see what FO4 factions people chose and their reasons for it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ikasury said:
once i stop trolling around for parts to sup up my powerarmor i will be heading in to see this institute and their shenanigans... they're supposed to be worse then the 'Kill the Mutant, Burn the Heretic, Purge the Unclean' BoS right? i suddenly really miss Lyons :.(

wonder what Buzz will think of me noming on people/ghouls/supermutants... you'd figure that'd just make the BoS shoot you on sight right? :D
Worst is in the eye of the beholder I guess, depending on your values. The main problem with the institute is they basically have their fingers in all sorts of potentially very nasty and dangerous pies, all of it pretty much for their own curiosity and the lulz, under a vague pretense that this is all for the benefit of "humanity" even though every time they talk about those living topside, it's always with a sneer or utter repulsion.

Basically the institute is exactly who the BoS warn about when they say that tech in the wrong hands can not be allowed to doom humanity all over again. But to Beth's credit, they made it so the institute isn't totally irredeemable and indeed after hearing nothing but horror stories about them, its weird when you actually walk around and talk to the random scientists and inhabitants and find out they ain't monsters after all, heck they reminded me a lot of vault dwellers due to their isolation. Anyways you'll see when you get there, maybe you'll disagree with me and find an angle I didnt think of ;)

As for Buzz and cannibalism, sadly the space man will think you are a sad, strange little man and he shall pity you :/

Also related, it turns out that Danse/Buzz is actually the most meme friendly of the companions despite (or maybe because of) having next to little sense of humor and being very much a lost space man.

You can Danse if you want to. You can leave the synths behind.
Cause those synths don't Danse and if they don't Danse then they aint no friends of mine.

Edit: just found this one!

JemothSkarii said:
Plus there was one mission that was super fun:
Them BoS final missions were kickass weren't they? Well when you weren't forced to build parts for Liberty prime..
Flushing the sewers of those guerilla rats certainly was thematic.

That said, storming the institute was super fun too, they were like the opposite of the railroad, rather then fighting viciously like cornered animals most folk of the institute cower and hide amongst their pristine surroundings , leaving the fighting to their synth protectors.

But yeah when compared to previous fallout games, feel fo4 had far better final missions.

undeadsuitor said:
You would think a faction of scientists would be delighted at the possibility of true AI.

But no, they literally go out of their way to be dicks about it. I mean, if you strove to make machines as life like as possible, why is self awareness a bad thing?
This is where I feel the lack of in game rping really works against the story. You really can't argue with any institute scientist or Shaun over this and are forced to meekly accept their views if you roll with them.
This should been an [INT] test where you could either make some scientists wonder if there isn't a ghost in the machine/synth, or merely point that their treatment of synths will inevitably cause problems later down the line.

There's that one institute scientist who is pleased to meet you exactly because you're a source of fresh ideas that would challenge the status quo...Yet you're never given the option to do so, only to follow Shauns directives.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
WolfThomas said:
Frankster said:
WolfThomas said:
There is a bell that will summon them all if that makes it easier.
And where is this bell? Somewhere near the default workshop in each settlement I wager. Would certainly make things a little more convenient even if I'd still prefer a menu or an rts style overhead view.
Its under misc items to build can place it anywhere. There is also a door mat that changes the fast travel location.
Is there a trick to getting the bell to work?

I built it, but I'm lucky if it gets maybe 2 of the settlers to actually come over. There's often some "ghost" people that I can never find despite the settlement number saying they're present.

Unrelated - Whats with the Xbox ad spam in the captchas, yeesh. It even tells you you're wrong if oyu say it has no appeal.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
The Institute is the only faction that has accomplished... Well... Anything in the 200 years since the bombs fell, so they're the obvious choice for best faction to me. The Brotherhood of Steel just wants to hoard and destroy technology out of fear, and while I kind of like the Railroad, they admit themselves that they don't have any particular long term goals or strategies other than blowing up The Institute.

As for companions, I stuck with Cait for the first half of the game mainly so that she could open the locks I couldn't yet, and X6-88 for the rest, for obvious reasons. My favourite gun was just an upgraded combat rifle that served me well through the entire game. I wanted to switch to the institute laser rifles later, but they're so huge and unwieldy that they block half the screen while you're using them, which just pissed me off.

Edit: Oh... And the Minutemen are just... There, I guess. They coexist with the Institute perfectly well apparently, so whatever. I might someday build them up if I can be bothered to do all those boring radiant quests. They work for me, and therefore the Institute, so they're alright I suppose.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Lunncal said:
They don't coexist as well as you think. The Minutemen, being the boyscouts of the wasteland, also fight for synths rights which puts them at a moral crossing to the Institute. There's also the thing about the Institute treating the wasteland above like the homeless surrounding a Whole Foods, and that they're pretty much going to get rid of everyone when "the time comes"
Do they actually fight for Synth rights, though? That does sound like the kind of thing they'd do, but the leader of the Railroad wanted me to stop working with the Minutemen specifically because they would apparently destroy any synths they came across out of fear or hatred[footnote]This was moments before she found out that it wasn't the Minutemen I was working for after all, of course...[/footnote].

Either way, the Minutemen in my game seem to just match my relationship with the factions. When I turned on the Brotherhood and the Railroad they started getting into huge battles with both of them on my behalf, but I've yet to see them come into conflict with the Institute at all.

Also I think the Institute position on the people of the commonwealth is simply one of extreme indifference, they're happy to simply ignore them as long as they don't get in the way. Trying to wipe them all out would just be a pointless waste of effort, especially since they believe that they'll probably die off eventually anyway.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Seth Carter said:
WolfThomas said:
Frankster said:
WolfThomas said:
There is a bell that will summon them all if that makes it easier.
And where is this bell? Somewhere near the default workshop in each settlement I wager. Would certainly make things a little more convenient even if I'd still prefer a menu or an rts style overhead view.
Is there a trick to getting the bell to work?

I built it, but I'm lucky if it gets maybe 2 of the settlers to actually come over. There's often some "ghost" people that I can never find despite the settlement number saying they're present.

Unrelated - Whats with the Xbox ad spam in the captchas, yeesh. It even tells you you're wrong if oyu say it has no appeal.
I don't know. I've only got ~12 people and it seems to work fine. I put it in an open area. Not sure if that helps.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Lunncal said:
Wait really? I was General of the Minutemen and working for the Railroad, and when the time came for the final assault on the Institute Desdemona specifically requested that I go round up the Minutemen to fight them. Something like "if you want to defeat the Institute you need an army, and the Minutemen are our best bet."

And yeah, I suppose it is extreme indifference. Though their repeated synth infiltration into the leaderships of all the governments kind puts them in a nefarious light if they just want to ignore them. But maybe it's just self preservation.
I wasn't sure if I'd remembered it wrong so I went back to an old save to make sure, the conversation about the Minutemen goes like this:

Des: Please, work with us instead of the Minutemen.

Me: You think the Minutemen won't help the synths?

Des: The Minutemen are a reflection of the character of the Commonwealth people. And time and time again, that character has proven to be rotten. The synths are tangible receptacles of their hatred of the Institute. Order them to help, and they'd mutiny.

I thought it was odd at the time myself. Maybe she changes her mind later if you side with her, considering they're used in the attack on the Institute? I don't really know, she wasn't in much of a condition to talk to me after that... >.>

Anyway, the thing you have to bear in mind with the Institute's motives is that their original plan was to reach out and help the people of the Commonwealth. It ended poorly, apparently due to "mutual mistrust", and only then did they decide to retreat from the surface altogether. Ever since then they've been hated and feared by the outside world, and yet despite this they've not really retaliated against it in any significant way, preferring to stay in their own private utopia and build for the future. When they do have to interact with the surface at all, they do so with the utmost secrecy, attempting to not let their presence be known at all.

It's only when whole factions gear up to try and destroy them that they respond in kind, and even then the common people are mostly left alone.

The Institute is the only faction that actually desires to improve the world, and advance technology not just back to pre-war levels, but beyond it. They want to turn the world into a utopia for mankind, and more importantly they're perfectly capable of doing it, as evidenced by the technological utopia they've already built for themselves underground.

The Brotherhood on the other hand actively opposes any kind of technological advancement at all, apparently preferring to keep the world in the hellish state it's already in. The Railroad has some nice ideals, and I actually agree that the synths are deserving of autonomy, but in practice all they're going to do is destroy the one group who has made any kind of progress towards improving the world in over 200 years.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I say to hell with the future of humanity, do whats right now. I dont really care about whether its Ghouls, synths or humans in charge in a thousand years. There are still people around despite everything and If even a nuclear appcalypse cant wipe us out we will be fine and rebuild the world eventually. Heck look at NCR and Caesars Legion. Did a pretty good job securing the future of humanity.

Basing your morality on such theoretical and lofty things as the future of the human race leads to fucked up shit like the Brotherhoods genocide and the institutes'for the greater good' willingness to kill wastelanders and kidnap them for experiments (the FEV subjects in the institute were wastelanders, and one of the dead supermants even has a teddy bear with it indicating to me it was a child)

So instead of longthinking morality I would rather do the right thing now and help the railroad. I still felt like a piece of shit for all the institute civilian casualties and betraying my son though. but it was the best choice of a bad situation I think. That moment where you had to secure the teleporter room by killing the helpless technicians...

Bethesda did so much better than the black and white choices of Fallout 3 though! Its not just evil enclave vs good brotherhood this time!

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Faction: First playthrough: Institute - unlike the BoS that is entirely dependent of pre-war technology, The Institute is actively creating new post-war technology to provide a better life for all, not just a specific unmutated species. Sure, their FEV experimentation was unethical, but that's been stopped for a long time before you built your way in.

Second playthrough: BoS - Despite Elder Hitler, I wanted to see how they planned to breach the Institute. Seeing LP make a devastating return to form was the best moment of the whole game. Not even the Behemoths between the airport and CIT were even able to make a scratch on that thing.

Favorite companion: Nick (I always think "Riviera" when I hear that name). He is easily the most likable person in the whole Commonwealth.

Most hated companion: Codsworth. "Look, this thing can say your name!" - it got annoying after the first 20 times

Favorite Gun: Gatling Laser. Who needs power armor when a few seconds is all it takes for your enemy to be reduced to a conveniently lootable pile of ash.

Settlement building: Meh. I've got some things going at Sanctuary and the Red Rocket stop. But not much beyond that.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
- Initially sided with the Railroad, but once I got the chance to side with the Institute I did so. Their base was way cooler and more luxurious than anything you could find in the wasteland, plus the idea of siding with evil seemed the more interesting route. Although, once I actually got there I found they weren't really what I would call evil. Their treatment of the synths is rather questionable, but then again, which other faction that has any power in the wasteland doesn't have questionable views/practices of their own? Plus, humanity and the Earth itself is completely fucked at this point, and it isn't going to magically become un-fucked by having various factions squabble over the irradiated ground. While the Institute may not be the best short term solution to humanities problems, their advancements are a far better long term solution than anything the other factions could hope for.

- As for companions, I didn't really have a favourite, but I stuck with Dogmeat most of the time.

- I mainly used a highly modified combat rifle chambered for .308 rounds. Very lethal and accurate, plus the ammo was fairly plentiful. When I eventually did begin to run low I simply switched back to .45 rounds, of which I had over a thousand, giving my my stocks of .308 rounds time to replenish.
A laser sniper rifle was also good.

- As for settlement building, not very. I fixed up Sanctuary hills to my liking, but most of the stuff I actually wanted was gated behind Charisma perks, and most of the rest of it served no real purpose. I tried building a house only to be shocked by the lack of useful pieces. Seriously Bethedsa? You use modular level design anyway, so how hard could it really be to throw in more of your kits?

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
truckspond said:
Most hated companion: Codsworth. "Look, this thing can say your name!" - it got annoying after the first 20 times
This is something I never really understood about this game and its hype. Why did the world seem to collectively piss their pants with joy when they found out one of the NPCs has a gimmicky list of pre-recorded names? It was even mentioned in many of the reviews as if it was a selling point, for some reason. I'm not sure why this was supposed to excite me. You pick one of the names on the list, or roll the dice and hope yours in on the list, then you talk to Codsworth and clap your hands when it picks the correct audio file. "He he, it say the name what which I picked, yay!"

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Frankster said:
-Which faction did you side with and why?
Brotherhood of Steel, for several reasons.

1. The have the coolest stuff.
2. Danse is pretty neat.
3. It quickly became obvious that they were zealots who wanted me to kill everyone else. And since I loathed everyone, that worked for me.

Frankster said:
-Favorite companion? Most hated companion?
Curie. I just liked her. She was also the first companion I used that seemed to understand personal space, so she rarely got in my way, unlike Dogmeat.

Most hated: Dogmeat. Get out of my way, you furry bastard.

Frankster said:
-Favorite gun?
The Deliverer (Special 10mm pistol). Absolute murder fest with that thing. Gauss Rifle after that - One hit and their down.

Frankster said:
-How involved were you with the settlement building process?
I built what I needed to make the quest go away. Easily the worst part of this game.

Lunncal said:
undeadsuitor said:
Lunncal said:
They don't coexist as well as you think. The Minutemen, being the boyscouts of the wasteland, also fight for synths rights which puts them at a moral crossing to the Institute. There's also the thing about the Institute treating the wasteland above like the homeless surrounding a Whole Foods, and that they're pretty much going to get rid of everyone when "the time comes"
Do they actually fight for Synth rights, though? That does sound like the kind of thing they'd do, but the leader of the Railroad wanted me to stop working with the Minutemen specifically because they would apparently destroy any synths they came across out of fear or hatred[footnote]This was moments before she found out that it wasn't the Minutemen I was working for after all, of course...[/footnote].

Either way, the Minutemen in my game seem to just match my relationship with the factions. When I turned on the Brotherhood and the Railroad they started getting into huge battles with both of them on my behalf, but I've yet to see them come into conflict with the Institute at all.

Also I think the Institute position on the people of the commonwealth is simply one of extreme indifference, they're happy to simply ignore them as long as they don't get in the way. Trying to wipe them all out would just be a pointless waste of effort, especially since they believe that they'll probably die off eventually anyway.
The Minutemen just roll with whatever you choose to do. If you go BoS, they fight the Institute and will try to help out the Vertibird troops if their in the vicinity, and they'll fight the Synths.

Also, the Institute views the people above as practically subhumans. They openly admit to replacing people when you first go down, without batting an eye, and they will take any resources they need from the Wasteland without asking for permission (Its just luck that theres not much they need from the surface).

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Faction: Kinda in a tight spot between the BoS and Railroad; already decided that the Institute needs to go. In an attempt to better humanity, the scientists have apparently sacrificed theirs. Plus, I'm not a fan of treating sentient life as property, especially if it involves humanoids. Kinda leads to the whole "created will turn on their creators" trope that's being played out harder than the top 40 songs on any radio frequency one would tune in to. But that's just my thoughts on the Institute.

Favorite companion: Between Piper and Curie I have a hard time choosing.
- Least favorite: Dogmeat. As unquestioning as his loyalty is, more often than not, he has gotten in my way and gotten me killed on numerous occasions.

Favorite gun: I typically carried 3-4 guns on me at all times:
- Silenced violent .308 combat rifle (+25% damage and limb damage, but has more recoil). Recoil's irrelevant with all the best mods decreasing it, plus I usually prefer to go stealthy. I call it "Silent Violent".

- Explosive combat shotgun (bullets explode on impact doing 15 points of AoE damage). The first legendary weapon I got early in the game Silenced it later on. Survival difficulty is nothing since I could effectively shoot in the general direction of the enemy and they would be giblets. Kinda like this:

One more thing. Explosive shotguns/auto weapons are pretty good at stripping power armor and crippling limbs to uselessness. I hate seeing how pathetic a deathclaw looks crawling on the ground from a broken leg, but I prefer its claws to not rake my insides out.

- Automatic bleeding laser rifle. It also burns, so it does some wicked damage over time when enough shots land. Great for reducing the health of large targets with high resistances.

Most settlements I've built are like superfortresses, with tons of heavy laser turrets lining whatever battlements I've set up, alongside outfitting the settlers with heavy combat armor and automatic laser rifles (kinda cheated on arming the settlers), giving the settlements a Warhammer 40k vibe to it. Totally wish the guards were able to wear power armor, I'd most definitely have them wielding either explosive miniguns or extended rippers.

Elvis1835

Dec 20, 2015
*****WARNING THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS ON THIS POST******* -I chose the Brotherhood of Steel because I felt like they were the only solution to the Commonwealth's problems. Most Civilians hate Synths and are paranoid of the Institute, I also think that as Elder Maxson said it is technology gone too far. And people say why Maxson wanted Danse killed without question is wrong but the truth is he WAS a threat. The Institute could at any time relay to him and say his Synth code which could EASILY make him snap and go crazy on the Brotherhood. The Railroad say they care about helping Synths have new lives and escaping the Institute but listen to this: If they destroy the Institute in the quest then there won't be ANY synths left to help because there wont be any production of them, their group would become helpless after that and to the people of the commonwealth. Atleast the Brotherhood have aims after it's destroyed such as wiping out Ferals and Mutants. Things that help the commonwealth and not stupid Synths. Minutemen are out of the question because they are pretty annoying.

-I usually roll with MacCready because he's got a really good shot. He's a nice guy and his special perk gives maximum VATS headshot accuracy from any range. Whether this is a glitch or not it's OP. He can also give you Fusion Cores and Mini Nukes. Nick is exceptionally ok and so is Codsworth. Everyone else is pretty boring.

-At the moment I'm running melee weapons and it's REALLY FUN but I like to run revolvers because they are pretty sweet, especially with Kellogg's Pistol and MacCready's headshot perk.

I don't really care for settlement building I just think it's a lot of effort and time wasting and I don't care for the Minutemen much. I have one little area setup in Graygarden. Mostly because it is all run by Mr. Handys and I love them but if you don't want to build a lot Covenant is the place for you.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
IceForce said:
Elfgore said:
Faction- First play-through is currently with the Brotherhood of Steel, which I'm starting to regret. Bethesda decided to drop the goody-goody-two-shoes thing from Fallout 3 and make them pretty damn repulsive at times. Their pure, utter hatred of Synths and without even questioning why, having you kill one of their best soldiers because he happens to be one. Not to mention, they now have two stashes of nuclear weapons and they've rebuilt their ultimate weapon once again. I'm starting to get worried.
Yeah, I'm kinda glad I gave the BoS the big middle finger in this game. The BoS are actually supposed to be assholes, it's just that Bethesda screwed up their portrayal in FO3, (the Outcasts in that game are a lot closer to what the 'true' Brotherhood is like, or indeed also the way they're portrayed in FONV too).
They didn't "screw up" shit, the fact the Brotherhood is so different in 3 is explained very well through terminals and talking to the Elder and his main scribe. It's a major faction plot point in 4 the reshift to their standard MO, and it's heavily implied through terminals scattered around the Prydwen that it had to do with Sarah Lyons' death affecting young Maxson.

The Outcast's mere existance should have been the hint that Bethesda was deliberate and calculating in their portrayal of the BoS (and if that doesn't do it, several of Broken Steel's random encounters with some less than Lyons-esque members of the Brotherhood might have clued in), and not a mistake or an error like "screwing up" implies.

OT:

Faction: Sided with the Minutemen because none of the factions seems to be capable of providing the citizens of the Commonwealth a good future. The Brotherhood is downright feudal with its treatment of the inhabitants of the lands it controls, not giving a solitary shit about the state of the people as long as they aren't juggling neutrino bombs. Some may value the "independance" they provide, but for me, when you combine it with the strip-mining and hoarding of useful technology for the people and their violent hatred of non-humans makes it a no-go for me. I don't want to kill them, much less the children on board, but I sure as hell don't want them in charge.
The Institute is too shifty for my tastes. Straight up murdering people and replacing them with Synths (at least too confirmed reports with the Warwick Homestead, with the planned assassination of the family, including kids, and Art) for no discernible gain, singlehandely unleashing the super mutants to the Commonwealth (and these seem to be able to reproduce on their own somehow, considering the FEV project was discontinued a while ago and there are almost more Mutants than humans in Boston. No way The Institute kidnapped half the population), and subhuman treatment of the beings they create and continue creating even though they appear to be developing sapience (The discussion if they do or don't is irrelevant, the existence of the possibility should be enough for a more in-depth study, it's not like they're needing these many Gen 3) makes me completely unable to cooperate with them. I know in the end you become director, but it's like being the president of the USA. You're technically in charge, but if the hypothetical congress (here represented by the Head Researchers) have a bone to pick with your ideas, tough luck. And yes, you could assassinate them and replace them, but that sort of shit tends to lead to civil war, and that means no stability for Boston.

The Railroad is made by good people, who unfortunately have almost no leadership and economical management experience and zero interest in doing so. There's no point going Railroad if going Minutemen leads to the same results without the afforementioned dead children the Railroad path entails (seriously, you can choose to evacuate the Institute, but have no choice in crashing that airship, woth no survivors?).

The Minutemen have good chances of evolving into a government like the NCR, and have the people's safety in mind, which makes them my choice.

Favorite Weapon: Plasma Flamer. That thing kills everything foolish enough to get close, with awesome visual effects to booth.

Settlements: With Alternate Settlements, SSeX, Homemaker and OCDecorator, plus a few mods to increase settlement population cap and size, and I've been making some pre-war like settlements. The Castle has a 5 story tower installed plus robot guards and a total of 782 defense from all the turrets I spread across the walls, powered by Fusion Reactors at the top floor of the Tower. Sanctuary Hills was scrapped of most pre-war houses and rebuilt from the ground up, with Flak Towers guarding from possible air assaults. Starlight Drive-In is the center of commerce and provisions of the Commonwealth, and as such it's 100% trade based, with actual stores instead of those barracks (mod to add counters that act like stores themselves). And most other settlements are optimized as either farms or water mines, with a few acting as cities.

I haven't even finished the goddamned game. The modded settlement expriwnce is too fun.