General Fallout 4 rant thread (Spoilers aplenty)

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Caramel Frappe said:
No one in the game comes close though, than Preston Garvey [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Preston_Garvey] when it comes to hatred. Stop giving me quests when I simply want to talk to you. No, STOP trying to cram me with pointless "fetch this" missions when I want to trade you lazy, ignorant piece of trash. Can't even help yourself against a small group of raiders but you send me to kill off 50+ raiders at a base just to get some farmers to join your group. No wonder everyone working under you has died, you failure of a Minutemen wannabe.
Oh god. I hate Preston Garvey.

> "I've just received word that a settlement needs our help."
HOW!? HOW DID YOU "RECEIVE WORD"?? YOU'VE BEEN FOLLOWING TWO STEPS BEHIND ME THE ENTIRE TIME.

>turns in billionth bullshit Minuteman quest
> "As usual, I've got something else for you to do."
No. No more. Enough of this. Fuck you Preston Garvey, if you didn't have plot armor I'd be putting a bullet in your head right about now.

I agree with you completely about Curie, though.

>loots dead body
> "Shouldn't we be putting those items in evidence bags for the police?"

Never change, Curie. Never change.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Yey nice to see this thread still kickin'.

Have been doing a quick new playthrough of FO4 with some mods (nothing too fancy yet alas), mostly focusing on rushing the main storyline on the institute side to get their perspective aswell as making Red Rocket Garage into my own personal doom fortress (challenge being the build area is kinda small, but that was no problem, just ended up making a badass tower of Babel stretching all the way to the sky, with its floors brimming with turrets for the poor random mutant patrols that somehow make their way up here every now and then).

I said I'd stick to the institute and so I did but bloody hell it was hard... I was barely aware of half the crap they got up to in the game in my last playthrough mainly due to sticking close to the BoS after discovering the FEV lab but turns out they are just even more messed up then I realized.

Highlights of new game included:
-Discovering to my horror that them tales of institute replacing people with synths is actually true and normal.
I honestly thought the stories were exaggeration and the shock of people discovering friends they have know their entire lives were synths from the start but nope, turns out they really do take people (for an undisclosed fate since no one from the institute would explain this to me, sorely making me miss the old skol RPG conversation systems where you had to type words in and npcs would react to it if it was in their library) and replace them.

valium said:
my decision to leave came after finding a terminal with the experiment where they kidnapped a farmer, tortured him for information, put a synth in his place, planted some strange shit on his farm, then killed everyone when the experiment was finished.
o0 The rabbit hole goes ever deeper. Bloody hell how can anyone side with these guys once you've sifted through their history? They have 0 redeeming qualities and EVERY horror story told about the institute was 100% true it seems.

So they don't just take people but outright torture them too? Friggin sick bastards, and they have the nerve to keep justifying their actions with BS statements like "its for humanity" or "think of how many lives we are saving".

-Discovering the Institute is actually a lot like the BoS when it comes to tech hoarding... Heck even worst.
Institute sees tech it wants, it goes in and KILLS EVERYONE in epic bloodbath leaving nothing but horror in their wake, all to prevent technological advancement for surface dwellers and prevent them from being a united force.
In order words, the institute actively works to keeping the wasteland lawless and in anarchy.

TLDR there's an area called University Point that seemed to be the HQ of a previous attempt of common wealth goverment, it also housed super reactor tech from before the war, which scientists were in the process of uncovering.
Institute gets a wind of it, and well TLDR end up butchering the entire community.

-Despite all this, stuck with the institute since that was the point of this playthrough, my companions got epically pissed at me after the end of game in a way that they certainly weren't when I went the BoS route.

So yeah in conclusion, I gave it a try, but I'm now convinced more then ever Institute are irredeemable as an entity even if you have individually good scientists in the lot.

Next playthrough I'll go the railroad route.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Frankster said:
Highlights of new game included:
-Discovering to my horror that them tales of institute replacing people with synths is actually true and normal.
I honestly thought the stories were exaggeration and the shock of people discovering friends they have know their entire lives were synths from the start but nope, turns out they really do take people (for an undisclosed fate since no one from the institute would explain this to me, sorely making me miss the old skol RPG conversation systems where you had to type words in and npcs would react to it if it was in their library) and replace them.
Oh yeah, they send you on a mission (Warwick Homestead, I believe) where the Institute guy (who gives you the quest) is completely open about the fact that they replaced a HUSBAND and FATHER of two kids, with a synth replacement.
To complete the quest 'the Institute way', one has to talk down some other guy brandishing a gun who has figured out the truth behind this particular synth replacement, and you tell him he's wrong (even though he's 100% right).

Frankster said:
o0 The rabbit hole goes ever deeper. Bloody hell how can anyone side with these guys once you've sifted through their history? They have 0 redeeming qualities and EVERY horror story told about the institute was 100% true it seems.
There's possibly just one redeeming quality, (depending on how you want to regard it), and that is at the end of the Institute quest line you actually get to LEAD the Institute. So at least you MIGHT have the ability to change the Institute's ways from within (although this isn't reflected in-game, obviously).

You mentioned companions hating you for siding with the Institute, but I feel I should mention something that gets written by Piper after you beat the game for the Institute, because it plays nicely into my 'lead the Institute' point above.

Publick Occurrences issue: said:
But perhaps the most compelling reason not to give up hope just yet is the fact that, if my sources are correct - and I know they are - the Institute is now under direct influence of someone many of us have already met - the Vault Dweller. That lonely figure who came into our settlement searching for a missing child, and clearly found something else entirely. And maybe, just maybe, the Institute is all the better for it.
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fear_the_Future%3F

So yeah, make of that what you will. At least it's not entirely doom and gloom.

Frankster said:
Next playthrough I'll go the railroad route.
The Railroad questline is my favorite. The thing I would suggest though is NOT joining the BoS when doing a Railroad playthough.
You can do Danse's first mission (to ArcJet Systems) but afterwards when he returns to the Cambridge police station and asks you to join the BoS properly ("No more mercenary work." etc, etc) turn him down.

Without spoilering too much, joining the BoS makes the Railroad questline a LOT harder later on.
To put it another way, the Railroad likes to use undercover/guerilla tactics (which is why I like them so much), so it's better that the BoS doesn't know you and doesn't know your face.

Nicha11

Apr 17, 2009
I was a little conflicted between factions until I learnt that I would inherit leadership of the Institute as soon as my (elderly and sickly son) passed away, well that was easy.

The Minutemen are a non faction. My only affection for the BOS stemmed from them giving me power armour, the insane genocidal crusade was fairly off putting (no, you don't get to kill Nick Valentine). The railroad were alright, but had no endgame plan. The fact that they couldn't wait for me to reform the institute after becoming its leader was frustrating, so it's either or is it?
30+ landmines sorted out that hippie colony right quick.

I'm fairly sure my character will now be able to lead and reform the Institute as its undisputed leader, restoring tech and progress to the world above (as opposed to building giant death blimps).

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
valium said:
I am with james on this. bethesda didnt screw up on the BoS in FO3.

it was stated in previous games that elders who try to do things differently, or have "radical ideas" are sent away, most likely to die or at least exist far enough away to not effect the rest of the BoS.

tactics had several elders being sent off into the midwest.
The Midwest brotherhood was made up of Exiles and did institute some pretty radical changes in recruiting tribals and non-humans. But in many ways they kept the BoS party line and were pretty unpleasant. General Barnaky is very anti-non-human and could get along well with Arthur Maxxon. After some criminals at Quincy poisoned Brotherhood members and stole their gear, the BoS after killing them crucified their bodies outside Quincy along with local guards who failed in their duties and interned families of the criminals.

Really the only reason they even recruited non-humans was out of necessity and they had the good fortune that the Midwest Mutants, Ghouls and Deathclaws could even be recruited. West coast super mutants are smarter than east and able to follow orders, there were no feral ghouls in Fallout 1 2 and tactics and the Deathclaws were intelligent enough to speak and ally with the order.

I think if Maxson encountered them, he'd be leery at first but actually jump at the army being handed to him.

The East Coast Brotherthood comes off as Xenophobic but really on the East Coast any Deathclaw, Mutant, Ghouls or obvious Synth is 9 out of 10 times going to try and kill you. People like Fawkes and Nick Valentine are rare exceptions.

But I agree heaps. This BoS is not OOC at all.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
-Which faction did you side with and why?

The Minutemen/Railroad combo. I'd already joined the Minutemen, as most first runs do I reckon. The BOS was offputting, and my guy was agiility based, so power armor was kind of meh anyways. Railroad also gives you the armored clothing mod, for some diversity in character look.

-Favorite companion? Most hated companion?
Hancock, who tended not to engage targets from ten million miles away, drawing everyone down on my sneaky ways. He also had one of the more interesting moralities, for the "good" guys. Nick was fun too, though a bit of a nuisance to keep alive due to equipment restrictions.

Strong, for all that I love his gusto, was just frustratingly annoying in terms of likes/dislikes. I still don't know what he actually does like, but finally maxed him just by time together. Piper seemed jarringly out of place if I took her as an actual companion, as she seems to just readily abandon her career, home, and sister to go adventuring around the Wasteland, and is one of the worst in a fight when it comes down to it. Her aid of giving you irradiated candy was just utterly garbage too.

-Favorite gun?
A modded Pipe Bolt-Action Pistol with exploding bullets. So a .50 cal one-handed sniper rocket launcher, prettymuch.

For more general utility, Righteous Authority modded to a pistol form for VATS spamming, or a 10mm that had Staggering bullets.

-How involved were you with the settlement building process?
-I did up Sanctuary, Red Rocket, and Starlight (where I put the Relay), and the Castle to some extent (less then was advisable for the assault on it). Other then that, I mostly kept basic farms/artillery placements. And a few specialty setups to store companions in (like putting Strong in Hangman's Alley)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
IceForce said:
There's possibly just one redeeming quality, (depending on how you want to regard it), and that is at the end of the Institute quest line you actually get to LEAD the Institute. So at least you MIGHT have the ability to change the Institute's ways from within (although this isn't reflected in-game, obviously).
It's this sort of thinking that makes me think the BoS isn't too bad an ending. If the Sole-Surivor can become a BoS Sentinel (basically an independent commander) and be charismatic enough to advise Arthur Maxson, he can counter act some of the more toxic idealogy (e.g. Spare Danse) there and perhaps facilitate a union between them and the Minuteman.

I like BoS because despite their beliefs they're actually putting boots on the ground and helping the commonwealth by wiping out mutants.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Minor Rant - Okay, the Irish-American dominance I can sort of get how potentially thats still a thing, but how have the Bobrovs kept their Russian accents intact over 200 years. Its even weirder considering Jun Long doesn't have a noticeable accent, so its not like they just arbitrarily stuck racial/national tics in. There doesn't seem to be enough mass of Russians/Asians to keep their culture intact very well, given that they would've been rare in the Cold War society USA to begin with.

Major Rant -
What is the Institute's end game with synths? The obvious answer is singularity, as they're designing immortal machine-people bodies, and already can transfer memories into them (Nick), if imperfectly (although Amari seems to be able to do that fairly well, so the could recruit her, forcibly if necessary). Its an obvious solution to Father's dying to simply synth-clone him (and uh, more or less they do, though not in that sense), to say nothing of other aging scientists, or even having backup copies for rogue scientists before they went rogue.

However, they make these superhuman immortal sentient robots to..... clean the windows? And are clearly downcast on them as just robots. Have they somehow not heard of Amari's setup? Was Nick's creation a secret later suppressed by the "synths aren't people" regime? Even still, the extremes they go to to make the human synths seems well beyond whats necessary for a servant populace, unless they're just easily creeped out by robo-doll faces.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
well i have officially found my favourite gun.. an assault rifle modded with suppressor and the wounding trait. its so powerful nothing can stand against it, hell an automatic 10mm pistol with wounding can take down a behemoth fast let alone this monster

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Seth Carter said:
Major Rant -
What is the Institute's end game with synths? The obvious answer is singularity, as they're designing immortal machine-people bodies, and already can transfer memories into them (Nick), if imperfectly (although Amari seems to be able to do that fairly well, so the could recruit her, forcibly if necessary). Its an obvious solution to Father's dying to simply synth-clone him (and uh, more or less they do, though not in that sense), to say nothing of other aging scientists, or even having backup copies for rogue scientists before they went rogue.

However, they make these superhuman immortal sentient robots to..... clean the windows? And are clearly downcast on them as just robots. Have they somehow not heard of Amari's setup? Was Nick's creation a secret later suppressed by the "synths aren't people" regime? Even still, the extremes they go to to make the human synths seems well beyond whats necessary for a servant populace, unless they're just easily creeped out by robo-doll faces.
This is in line with my major gripe regarding the main plot, that the Institute comes off as half-baked and wish-washy. Father keeps insisting they want to do good and we are supposed to see "the other side" of the Institute that isn't FEV experimentation, abducting and replacing people and playing Kingmaker for the world above by killing anyone who doesn't do what the Institute wants. So why are we never told why the abductions are important? Why are we never given the chance to hear a justification for all the shit that the Institute does? Instead we are treated to the "Shaun is father"-reveal and then the writer seems to expect us to just like the Institute because our son has turned into a semi-benevolent, racists dictator who is always kind and considerate to the PC.

It seriously feels as if two different groups wrote the Institute, one which focused on all its' nasty sides and one which only focused on the good and the two never talked to one another, at all. So the Institute comes of as Schizophrenic, at ones both arguing for non-intervention in the world above and at the same time committing loads of atrocities in their attempts to intervene with the world. And that's not even mentioning the problems with their synth production, which is never properly explained and just turns into a huge plot hole. Why give your machines consciousness if you only want them to be machines? Why make a Gen 3 take care of your garden when an ancient Mr. Handy is just as good (if not better) at it and doesn't have a reactive AI that gives it sapience?

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
-Which faction did you side with and why?

I did the Brotherhood. The facts of the matter is that in the world of fallout. You're either brotherhood, or you're a potential threat to the human race. Maxon is just one man in an organisation that has had many leaders, but they all followed the same core principles.

The Brotherhood places more importance on their mission than any other organisation. They want to save mankind from synths, mutants, and ghouls, and this is not because they hate either variant of man, but because to consider them humans is dangerous.
These expressions of life are evolutionary dead ends for mankind. Ghouls and Mutants can't reproduce, and Synths mass produced in greater numbers will inevitably come to view mankind as a threat to their existence that they must end.
This means that neither mutation, synthetic intelligence, or FEV are good for mankind. The only reason I didn't tell Dance to kill himself was because I wanted his character perk, and because I can justify letting the one synth that is my friend continue to help me.

A lot of People I've talked to speak as if the Railroad didn't have the potential to go way off the rails once they've "freed all the synths from the institute." They are a powder keg, and whatever happens in the aftermath of following them will be a mess exploding on everyone else's faces. They're just too weak at that moment of meeting them to show how truly insane they are. The next obvious move from a railroad perspective is going to be enforcing their dogma on everyone, and to force the commonwealth and every citizen in it to accept synths as part of humanity. You think they won't turn gestapo on their fellow man when over half their ranks become comprised of reprogrammed synths? You think they won't take over diamond city and try to make changes not everyone inside of it will agree with? You think they will hesitate with removing people in power that disagree with them?

The only reason we can argue over this is because right now there is no consequence shown for our choices. There isn't a slideshow at the end that tells people how things shake up.

-Favorite companion? Most hated companion?

My favorite is Cait (picks locks for you). She's really easy to placate, always there for me, and she has a wonderful quest.
Most hated Companion: Preston. He's just really annoying and bland.

-Favorite gun?

My favorite gun is a rocket launcher with the lucky perk (same as righteous authority) which doubles the damage on crits. My most used guns are a tossup between Spray and Pray (subgun with explosive damage), Spray and die (assault rifle with explosive damage), and Legendary killer (Laser rifle with wounding)

-How involved were you with the settlement building process? I built so many bases that I ran out of wood.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Madkipz said:
I did the Brotherhood. The facts of the matter is that in the world of fallout. You're either brotherhood, or you're a potential threat to the human race. Maxon is just one man in an organisation that has had many leaders, but they all followed the same core principles.
I agree. I'm digging the BoS hard this game. Unlike some factions they're actually helping the people of the Commonwealth by eradicating radiers and mutants. Nothing like the sound of a vertibird and the stomping of Powerarmor.

The Raildroad have nice ideals but really what is their endgame? If the inistute, their mortal enemy, is destroyed there are no more synths to smuggle and then what?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
WolfThomas said:
Madkipz said:
I agree. I'm digging the BoS hard this game. Unlike some factions they're actually helping the people of the Commonwealth by eradicating radiers and mutants. Nothing like the sound of a vertibird and the stomping of Powerarmor.
Ehhh, I dunno you guys. I get that they're probably the most 'trustworthy' military force with a presence in the Commonwealth, but they still come across as a bit xenophobic for my tastes.

Especially highlighted with the whole Danse affair, where with a sufficiently high Charisma stat, Maxson gets kinda rattled.
"Danse, you simply should not exist. I'm done debating this." Hardly a compelling argument, I must say.

There's also what Dr Li tells you too, with regards to the aftermath of Fallout 3. After the Enclave was defeated, the BoS decided to retain control over the water purifier, rather than have it owned by the wasteland community (which was actually your Father's original plan, -- Fallout 3 Father, that is. He wanted it to be a gift to the community, NOT have it controlled by a military force).
BoS weren't really needed in the Capital Wasteland anymore, but they decided to continue their military occupation of it anyway, (at least until most of them boarded the Prydwen for the Commonwealth).

ERaptor

Oct 4, 2010
Okay, this is gonna be ranty as all hell, and I had people call me a Monster for actually thinking that way. Feel free to challenge my viewpoint tough, I actually like the discussion that usually arises from it.

I sided with the BoS. At first, it was because Power Armor. Yeah, point at me and laugh, but that was the collest feature in the entire game for me, and the BoS just felt like a natural escalation. I didnt give a rat's behind about the story at first. It's one of those cases where "You have family and you will now care, because we say so."-Stories, so I absolutely did not care about finding my son at all.

Then I got to the point where the Synth-businesses starts creeping in. Okay F4, I'm hooked. Let's see what you're gonna do with the premise. Not a whole lot, as it turns out. But the basic "What's the right thing to do." seemed to work, at least initially. So I looked back at my faction choice, after progressing some more, seeing the BoS-Leader, and actually meeting the other factions.

And now, brace yourselves, I personally feel like the "right" thing to do, that is, the one where you do thebest thing for the surviving humans, is siding with the BoS. Before anyone points it out, yes I know the game tries it's HARDEST to basically portray them as the Third Reich (They have a ZEPPELIN for f*cks sake), but fundamentally, I completely agree that Synth's HAVE to be destroyed.

Where F4 fails, in my opinion, is actually trying to portray the difficulty and actual meaning of this choice. Are you willing to give Synths a chance, even tough there's a very real possiblity of them turning into Murderbots basically out of nowhere? Even tough you have no proof that they actually feel, think, live like humans do? Or are you adamant that it is too dangerous and thus the Institue has to be stopped?

But the game does NONE of that. It just plonks down the BoS as the obvious bad guys, and guilt trips you NON STOP for siding with them. Heck, the game didnt even recognize some of the stuff I did. When I first met the Institute leader, and it turned out he was my son, I gunned the guy down where he stood, after it became appearant that this whole "Let's kidnap people for weird robot experiments"-thing was actually their plan. Part of me was thinking that the Institute may have been taken over by Synths, but hearing the guy give some half-assed "We are totally sending murderrobots to the surface to your BENEFIT"-explanation, there was no question that I would end it right there.

Cue nobody actually caring that I killed the dude. Noone. Not ONE line of dialog. Did they seriously think I was just gonna walk back out there and let Murderrobot-President continue with his cr*p?

To me there was no question that the Synths had to be blown up. And towards the end, I didnt care that the game tried very hard to portray me as the villain. I like F4 as a game, but the story is one of it's weakest parts, in my opinion.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
IceForce said:
Ehhh, I dunno you guys. I get that they're probably the most 'trustworthy' military force with a presence in the Commonwealth, but they still come across as a bit xenophobic for my tastes.

Especially highlighted with the whole Danse affair, where with a sufficiently high Charisma stat, Maxson gets kinda rattled.
"Danse, you simply should not exist. I'm done debating this." Hardly a compelling argument, I must say.

There's also what Dr Li tells you too, with regards to the aftermath of Fallout 3. After the Enclave was defeated, the BoS decided to retain control over the water purifier, rather than have it owned by the wasteland community (which was actually your Father's original plan, -- Fallout 3 Father, that is. He wanted it to be a gift to the community, NOT have it controlled by a military force).
BoS weren't really needed in the Capital Wasteland anymore, but they decided to continue their military occupation of it anyway, (at least until most of them boarded the Prydwen for the Commonwealth).
I can understand the Xenaphobic comment. But lets look at who they are against. East Coast Super-mutants, who except for 3 are universally aggressive and monstrous. Ghouls who in the East ferals seems to outnumber smart ones by tenfold. And Synths. Who they know little about and most of the Commonwealth are paranoid about. And despite all this you can bring Hancock and Nick Valentine onto the Prydwyn and no one orders their execution. They're rational in some regards.

The thing is Maxson is right about Danse. If he was identified by the institute and fed the right codes he could cripple the BoS. And Maxson does let you spare Danse if your Charisma is high. Albeit via exile. After the institue is destroyed though I wish I could bring him back into the fold.

The Capital Wasteland was a ruin with barely any functional society and yet the BoS managed to create an industry and build an airship. We also find via the doctor and Danse they recruit from the populace.

Normally I don't go for a group with such overt fascist tones (I'm usually hardcore NCR "against all tyrants" but I genuinely think they're for the best option for the East Coast. And with my character in a position of leadership (practically second in command) I can steer them in the right direction.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The Institute seem to want to restore the world to what it was like before the war, but I am reminded of this (from the New Vegas: Old World Blues finale);

− Doctor Mobius: There is an expression in the Wasteland: "Old World Blues."
− Doctor Klein: It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is.
− Doctor Dala: They stare into the what-was, eyes like pilot lights, guttering and spent, as the realities of their world continue on around them.
− Doctor O: Science is a long, steady progression into the future. What may seem a sudden event often isn't felt for years, even centuries, to come.

For me, this says the The Old World had it's chance, it's time is past. Trying to restore it won't fix anything. I don't think Institute is meant to be the 'canon' path in this game.

My Fav companion; Curie. Transplanting her mind from her robot "Mr Handy" body in to a blank Synth was one of the best moments in the game for me. Aside from the USS Constitution quest line.

My Fav Weapon: Big Boy with the MIRV mod. I had to put a jetpack on my power armour, and engaged the super jump before firing it. The mini nuke barrage had a habit of coming back at me.

Settlements; All mine have atleast 12 people, 20 food and 20 water. Defense of about 50 or so with Minutemen artillery in all of them, with enough decorations and vendor stalls to keep them at or about 70% happiness.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
Still on my first playthrough as I only bought F4 during the Christmas sale, so I can't answer on the faction choice yet - I'm still at the flirting stage with all of them.

Best companion - I was going to stick with Dogmeat for my first playthrough, but then I met Curie who is utterly adorkable. Best Bethesda companion ever (so far!), although she did start to seriously annoy me whilst I was doing the quests to fix up the USS Constitution. "Za boat. It is on za building. Zat is ze USS Constitution. Mon dieu." was really cute the first time I heard it. The 117th time I heard it, not so much!

Favorite gun - a Legendary dropped a .38 pipe rifle with the Two-shot ability very early on, which came in really handy as I was swimming in unused .38 ammo, whilst running out of many other types, and it was damaging enough to be a good default gun choice. Now I'm level 30-odd I've tricked it out, it's silenced, it fires .45 ammo, and it's still really really useful - I can switch to a .50cal sniper rifle or my 2-shot OP combat shotgun as needed, but this little pipegun is still doing sterling service, taking out most humans with a single sneaky headshot (well technically double not single, but a double-tap with one click is automatically cool!), and still pretty accurate and damaging if I need to hip-shoot a charging foe. I should probly name it some time!

Settlements - nice idea but needs some serious modding! I build each one up just enough to let me send a supply route out - so I can link all of my workbenches to make for shorter trips to dump my stuff. The defend settlement missions are bugged as all hell though. "Setstage WorkshopSynthInfiltrator02 100" - the console command to fix the Synth attack missions not completing when they should is what I've had to use for every single Synth attack so far. The raider ones complete fine, but the Synth ones need console jiggery-pokery or they always fail!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Apparently it's quite easy using console command (and hopefully soon mods) to create a perfect ending to the game. The Brotherhood apparently still make you Sentinel if you destroy the Railroad but use Minutemen in the last mission. But if you use the console you can trigger this promotion with appropriate dialogue after finishing with the Minutemen and not destroying the Railroad.

This means with the Minutemen ending, all three non-institute factions can coexist. It also makes sense. If the Minutemen sound the evacuate the Commonwealth is flooded with Synth and escaped scientists, meaning the Railroad has something left to do, settling and protecting them from the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood in turn remain to salvage tech.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
WolfThomas said:
This means with the Minutemen ending, all three non-institute factions can coexist.
That happens anyway as I discovered myself, even without the use of console commands. The Minuteman ending is the only ending that keeps everyone happy (except the Institute, obviously). I'm guessing Bethesda means for that to be the 'canon' ending, probably.

But you're right. About half-way through the Minuteman questline, the entire BoS questline fails. However (and this is unique to the Minutemen), this does NOT turn the BoS hostile like it does when working for any of the other factions.

I nailed down exactly what script is being fired. Normally, when you piss off the BoS, a script called "BoSKickOut" fires and auto-fails all their quests and turns them hostile. But when working with the Minutemen instead, a different script fires called "BoSKickOutSoft", which fails their quests but does NOT turn them hostile.

The beauty of "BoSKickOutSoft" is that you can still come and go from the Prydwen as you please. But you're right in that the script fires before you get promoted to Sentinel, effectively locking you out of that title (without the use of console commands, of course).