General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Oh boy Pro consoles that will be hard to get.
Funny enough, I still seen more Series Xs, then PS5s. My local Best Buy still has plenty in stock. And these are the physical ones mind you. I wonder if it's going to cost $100 more for these Pro versions. If that's the case, I might as well just play the waiting game again.

Reactions: gorfias

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Funny enough, I still seen more Series Xs, then PS5s. My local Best Buy still has plenty in stock. And these are the physical ones mind you. I wonder if it's going to cost $100 more for these Pro versions. If that's the case, I might as well just play the waiting game again.
Why is that funny? Xbox has no games so nobody wants it. Pretty telling tbh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why is that funny?
Because irony funny. Not exactly haha funny, but people are not wrong for feeling that type of funny.
Xbox has no games so nobody wants it. Pretty telling tbh.
Telling me something we all already know. The only thing it's good for is backwards compatibility from 3 generations. That is something not to scoff at. At least Microsoft bothers with game preservation and knows how important it is. Unlike a certain, "Nobody plays old games!", Jim Ryan & Sony. Before you start, I know the PS5 is backwards compatible; that's not the point. My point is Sony's hypocritical stance on claiming games are art, but were more than happy to shut down the PSN and PlayStation 3 store and be so cold and vindictive about it. They only backed off because they had gotten so much heavy backlash from all gamers, game critics, and other professionals across the board. Even Microsoft called them out on their bullshit.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Why is that funny? Xbox has no games so nobody wants it. Pretty telling tbh.
The big reason to get an XBOX is because it's backwards compatible so you can play games at least as far back to the 360.

So basically the only way to play RDR unless you have a working PS3. No I will not shut up about this.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The big reason to get an XBOX is because it's backwards compatible so you can play games at least as far back to the 360.

So basically the only way to play RDR unless you have a working PS3. No I will not shut up about this.
The same applies for a lot of games stuck in the 360 or OG Xbox era. Unless you got a working ps3, or are using an emulator, there is no way to get Asura's Wrath, nor Killer Is Dead's DLC. Thankfully, the latter is available on Steam. There there's no other way to play Guardian Heroes except on the Xbox digital store. Because Sega for some reason doesn't want to port it to other consoles. You can't even play it on 360 anymore. You have to at least have an Xbox One in order to purchase or redownload.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Undead Nightmare will be available on the PS streaming service tier thing.

, there is no way to get Asura's Wrath,
Asura's Wrath is on the new playstation service. So get that and you can play it.

Look I get that game preservation is important to a degree but let's face facts. You can't play Atari 2600 games legitly on modern hardware. Pretty much all cartridge based games only work if you have the cartridge and the console that ran them still in prestine working order.

While some old old old games get digitally put onto Steam or Nintendo's shops, the vast majority of games are lost to people. Emulation is the only option and it's not legal so it can't fairly be considered.

Updating code to run on new hardware is expensive and I find it a hard sell to convince executives it's worth the investment to preserve as many games as possible so that 7 people can play Perfect Dark Zero.

If you wanted to be able to play your old games forever, keep them and the system that runs them. Problem solved for a while at least.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Asura's Wrath is on the new playstation service. So get that and you can play it.

Look I get that game preservation is important to a degree but let's face facts. You can't play Atari 2600 games legitly on modern hardware. Pretty much all cartridge based games only work if you have the cartridge and the console that ran them still in prestine working order.

While some old old old games get digitally put onto Steam or Nintendo's shops, the vast majority of games are lost to people. Emulation is the only option and it's not legal so it can't fairly be considered.

Updating code to run on new hardware is expensive and I find it a hard sell to convince executives it's worth the investment to preserve as many games as possible so that 7 people can play Perfect Dark Zero.

If you wanted to be able to play your old games forever, keep them and the system that runs them. Problem solved for a while at least.
Problem is some games can be emulated and some can't. Atari games can be emulated on a watch. Some PS3 games.....still can't be properly emulated.

And technically emulation is legal, it's the manner of software ownership that gets tricky.

Though personally my take is that if companies can't be bothered to make their older games playable on modern hardware they have no cause to complain when people use other ways to play it. They're not making money on those games until they make them available on the new hardware.

I'm willing to pay if it's made available but if I have to hunt down a 10+ year old game console to play it because nothing current supports it.....

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

PC and Xbox say no, it’s not that difficult. It’s a Sony-specific problem because they loved making exotic hardware requiring coding efforts that made Gaben talk about sweating blood and shit (well, just blood at least). I’d say it’s fair game for emulation of any title that Sony isn’t going to have available as a digital download. Hardware doesn’t last forever and physical media is often only at collector’s prices online now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Thank you for the heads up. I have no need for it, cuz I already reinstall the game on my Xbox One X and was able to redownload all the DLC since I had paid for it already.
I don't care. If it was done before it can be done again. Keep in mind that those top executives at Microsoft, wanted to quit the console business entirely. Phil Spencer was able to convince them not to do that. That took a lot of effort and I praise the man for that and thank him. There are still plenty of people that want to go back and play old games, because they either lost them, traded them in at some point, or never experienced them before. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, and Microsoft can more than afford it. It ain't that expensive, it's just that companies have gotten lazy with it or rely on just remastering. There's a reason why so many PS3 games got ported to the ps4, other consoles, or on Steam for a reason. There's no need for a pathetic excuse of "too expensive" when they can more than afford it. Microsoft's got plenty of money.
True, but not everyone is going to do that. Life happens and you don't know what everyone's circumstances were. Some had a choice in a matter, and others didn't. Wow I'll gladly keep my own consoles, there are some I traded in for a good reason. I don't have my Wii U anymore, because I knew the Switch would have most of the Wii U games on it, or on other 8th generation consoles and PC. I kept my original Wii, because there are plenty of games I like and it acts as a second gamecube, in case my other GameCube dies. My GameCube I got at launch, still works. I keep my 3ds, because there are plenty of games I have for that I still play from time to time. Or I use it for backwards compatibility on DS games. One of my favorite games on the system, Code Of Princess, is the only version with the English dub. If you get the steam version or switch version, it only comes with Japanese and English subs. For whatever reason, they can't get the English dub again and the dub is awesome. It's way too enjoyable entertaining. The only upside to the switch version is that they revamped the combat to play better. Plus, the 3DS version I have is a pre-ordered copy that came with the soundtrack CD in an art book. No way I'm giving that up.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Though personally my take is that if companies can't be bothered to make their older games playable on modern hardware they have no cause to complain when people use other ways to play it.
Honestly i think this is the best way to go about it. Allow for emulation for any title not brought onto the modern marketplace and as they gradually update and add games then emulation must remove them.

This is how everyone wins tbh.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

The list I posted is the priliminary list and does not feature every game. But it looks like Dino Crisis might be one of the classics added, which is cool.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So apparently they are abandoning Red Engine after one expansion for CP2077 as they switch to UE5.

IDK, I think it's kinda sad. They have bene trying their hardest to bring everything that were promised and then some in expansions. Considering how great HoS and BaW were in W3, I really hope this expansion will be a banger

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
IDK, I think it's kinda sad. They have bene trying their hardest to bring everything that were promised and then some in expansions. Considering how great HoS and BaW were in W3, I really hope this expansion will be a banger
Maybe they'll combine the planned xpacs.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Another State of Play next week
This is the 3rd or 4th Sony showcase this year. How many showcases has Microsoft had so far since January? It's getting fucking sad at this point right? Microsoft makes me sad. Even Nintendo has done 2 or 3 Directs thusfar. I can't fathom how you spend all this money and have nothing to show for it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Another State of Play next week
This is the 3rd or 4th Sony showcase this year. How many showcases has Microsoft had so far since January? It's getting fucking sad at this point right? Microsoft makes me sad. Even Nintendo has done 2 or 3 Directs thusfar. I can't fathom how you spend all this money and have nothing to show for it.
What makes it funny is that even if it's sad, Microsoft is doing better than Sony right now because of how the hardware side of things has shaped out.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is the 3rd or 4th Sony showcase this year.
Ragnarok is coming....

CAN YOU FEEL IT?!
How many showcases has Microsoft had so far since January? It's getting fucking sad at this point right? Microsoft makes me sad. Even Nintendo has done 2 or 3 Directs thusfar. I can't fathom how you spend all this money and have nothing to show for it.
You just got to believe! You've got to beeellieeevvv-uuuuhhh-waahahaha! Why can't you believe?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren