General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So Overwatch 2 reveal event happened today.

Let me preface by saying it's not even worth the effort to look it up on youtube. To sum it up:
  • It's gonna be free to play
  • Lootboxes are being dropped
  • .... At the cost of the game adapting live-service/season pass model.
  • The PVE/story content will be part of seasonal content, indicating always online to play the story
  • ....And that pve won't even come until next year (the game is set to release this fall)
  • NEw hero every other season
  • Any stuff you unlocked in OW1 will be carried over
  • One new mode, and six new maps at the launch
  • And other PR stuff you heard thousands of times on other live-service games
Boy, they just love waving those red flags, don't they?
I wish they would wave a white flag.

I don't know what the fuck they're thinking with this game. It's just an expansion set of Overwatch 1 not a sequel.

This game screams to me that nobody had any game concepts or direction to take the project and they just decided to modify the original game to call it a sequel. All the talent, or at least all the creative talent at Blizzard is gone. It's clear that the people they have left do not know how to make games anymore. They can code and they have fantastic art teams, but when it comes to the mechanics that make a game what it is, they have nobody left to do that.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
FF7 25th Anniversary event happening right now.

FF7: Ever Crisis looking great.
Crisis Core Reunion looks amazing! I am ready cry all over again.

Part 2!!!!! OMFGSDAFSDFDSGTDGdEWDWEd HOLY SHTIDSFDSFDSGDFSG I am breathing so hard right now

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
OK.....So....umm....

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is now confirmed to be three parts.

Part two is called REbirth and will be out winter 2023.

Oh and the are remastering Crisis Core, out this winter.

And that full phone remake game is also coming to beta this year with a release last year.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
OK.....So....umm....

And that full phone remake game is also coming to beta this year with a release last year.
Kinda sucks that Rebirth is a PS5 exclusive (at least from my understanding?), but it makes sense. I wonder what part 3 will be called? Re-build? Re-wind? Re-turn? Re-vengence?

Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Kinda sucks that Rebirth is a PS5 exclusive (at least from my understanding?), but it makes sense. I wonder what part 3 will be called? Re-build? Re-wind? Re-turn? Re-vengence?
I mean by the time part three comes out it'll be 2028 so.....if you dont have a ps5 by then I dunno what to tell ya.

It is interesting though. I knew that each part would not take nearly as long to develop as the first part considering the reuseable systems, and assets. And since part 1 is already on Ps5 hardware, they don't even have to worry about ports.

So you figure it's a two or three year dev cycle between parts and that's totally fair. Especially since there is plenty of Final Fantasy content between then and now apparently.

We have Crisis Core at the end of the year. FF16 will be June-ish, and then Part two that following winter. So a big project every six months is pretty fucking sweet. Top that off with probably seeing some news about FF14's next expansion by then as well.

Also this.
I like this. It like Normura has learned his lesson and has become more effcient as a dev. Looks like they are already working on Part three while the bulk of the team finishes Part two over the next 18 months. As Two finishes, that team will move onto part three which might even speed that Part up for it's release window.

EDIT. Holy fuck! what the hell does this mean Nomura! 1655419017783.png

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Also they''ve finally begun working on a Dragon's Dogma 2 after a decade. They've announced that they are going to start making a game...so.....that's a bit early.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And by the time part 3 gets announced, it'll be 4 parts, because why not ride this money train?

Anyway, if you'd ask me, pt2 will be everything until Forgotten City, so basically equivalent to the end of disc 1 of og FFVII. Pt3 more or less parallel until Sister Ray in Midgar. Tho they could split that up into two parts too.

Final part will literally be just Northern Crater and only Northern Crater.

/s

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Anyway, if you'd ask me, pt2 will be everything until Forgotten City, so basically til the end of disc 1 of og FFVII. Pt3 until Sister Ray in Midgar. Tho they could split that up into two parts too.
I was watching Maximillion_Dood and he had a good theory.

Part two will go up until the attack on Junon Harbor. Because during that attack the party gets scattered and you spend the next part of the game gathering the group back up and looking for Cloud. So the perfect way to start Part three would be you controlling Tifa as she hunts to get the group back together and find Cloud.

It's just a theory, but he's been right on about a most of his predictions and it sounds like a good idea to me that would fit in and make sense.

Of course that depends on how much they change....because it's heavily implied and this aint gonna be your OG FF7 anymore.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also let me just say that I am very plesantly surprised to see a Remastering of Crisis Core finally coming out. That game is great and it is impossible to play in any legit fashion, so now that FF7 is big again, it's very cool that they are bringing it out.

And that Ever Crisis Phone game also looks way too good to be a phone game and I hope it gets a console or pc release as well.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I was watching Maximillion_Dood and he had a good theory.

Part two will go up until the attack on Junon Harbor. Because during that attack the party gets scattered and you spend the next part of the game gathering the group back up and looking for Cloud. So the perfect way to start Part three would be you controlling Tifa as she hunts to get the group back together and find Cloud.

It's just a theory, but he's been right on about a most of his predictions and it sounds like a good idea to me that would fit in and make sense.

Of course that depends on how much they change....because it's heavily implied and this aint gonna be your OG FF7 anymore.
Eh yeah, I'm just taking the piss. Tho I do really want the final part to be just Northern Crater. Like, dragged out into a mtx-laden grindfest costing 100$ up front, a massive fuck you from Squenix to their fanbase, because they know they'll get away with it.

Remastering of Crisis Core finally coming out. That game is great and it is impossible to play in any legit fashion.
It is? How? It's not that expensive to get a PSP copy, nor is it hard getting a PSP you can install cfw on to dump it. I would know, because I have.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It is? How? It's not that expensive to get a PSP copy, nor is it hard getting a PSP you can install cfw on to dump it. I would know, because I have.
Maybe for you.

But for me and other people it's not possible. And it never was put onto the digital VITA store. So if you can find the PSP UMD and a working PSP then great, but the game alone is like $100 bucks from ebay sellers, let alone the cost of a PSP that actually works.

EDIT: Holy shit they dropped to $10 bucks!? Ok then....well fuck me

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

Also they''ve finally begun working on a Dragon's Dogma 2 after a decade. They've announced that they are going to start making a game...so.....that's a bit early.

Hey it worked out great announcing a title card for *checks notes* Elden Ring, Cyberpunk ,FF7:R, Starfield, Elder SCrolls 6, Fallout 5, Diablo 4,.... I could probably find more. I feel like RDR2 was one too but I never bother enough with Rockstar to care.

I'm actually not sure who was the patient zero in the whole thing.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm actually not sure who was the patient zero in the whole thing.
Metroid Prime 4?

Frankly, I find the whole "title card" model stupid. I mean, even looking at the games you mentioned, Elder Scrolls 6 was known to be in development years before it was officially released, and even ES6's announcement was "this exists, BTW."

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Metroid Prime 4?

Frankly, I find the whole "title card" model stupid. I mean, even looking at the games you mentioned, Elder Scrolls 6 was known to be in development years before it was officially released, and even ES6's announcement was "this exists, BTW."
Nah, when Elder Scrolls 6 was announced (as a footnote at the end of whichever show it was, the one they revealed Fallout 76 and Todd Howard looked like even more of a clueless moron rambling about multiplayer things, highlights include "personal worlds" instead of "servers" ), it was just a title card over obvious stock footage or maybe some kind of terrain generator they have (it wasn't even HD, pixelled up AF).

Starfield was announced at the same time to my recollection too, but at least they could say "hey we're making a sci-fi game and the teams actually started some sort of work since we finished (lol) FO76

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Gotta say, it's pretty crazy that even after well over a dozen main FF games, only one of them (and nowhere near the "first" mind you), is revered enough to warrant an anniversary dedication, let alone a four part reimagining of it. The whole things seems rather unprecedented.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Nah, when Elder Scrolls 6 was announced (as a footnote at the end of whichever show it was, the one they revealed Fallout 76 and Todd Howard looked like even more of a clueless moron rambling about multiplayer things, highlights include "personal worlds" instead of "servers" ), it was just a title card over obvious stock footage or maybe some kind of terrain generator they have (it wasn't even HD, pixelled up AF).
...which is my point?

ES6 was confirmed to be in development in 2016, and got its trailer in 2018. And by "trailer," I mean, well, you explained it above.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I like how they kinda flipped the script on the Horizon games. Also, triceratops barrel rolls at 4:50 lol. Although, I hope there’s good justification for slaughtering the most awesome creatures in history.
What justification could there be?

Exoprimal, based on everything I've seen so far, is stupid. Not silly, stupid. No matter what justification I can think of for slaughtering the dinos, it's still stupid. As in:

-If the breaches are natural, does the timeline get altered?

-If the dinosaurs are acting on their own accord, why are they acting the way they do? Based on everything we know about dinosaurs, they shouldn't be acting like this (raptors shouldn't swarm and work with T-rexes for instance...yes, joke about Jurassic World if you want, that at least justified it to an extent).

-If the dinosaurs are being controlled by some malign force, why? This explanation is a bit better than the others, and might account for why the dinos are so resilient to this kind of firepower, but I can't help but wonder if there'd be better ways to launch a bio-weapon attack.

Replace the dinosaurs with monsters, and we're in silly territory. But as dinosaurs? We're in stupid territory. :(

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
OK.....So....umm....

Once again, SE can go fuck themselves. Congrats, you're paying a total of $180-200+ for a remake of a $50.00 game split in to three parts. You can all have fun with the game, if you wish.