Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Gotta say, it's pretty crazy that even after well over a dozen main FF games, only one of them (and nowhere near the "first" mind you), is revered enough to warrant an anniversary dedication, let alone a four part reimagining of it. The whole things seems rather unprecedented.

6 and 9 are more or less equally revered. I'm just guessing they can't the original writers or whatever onboard (9 was supposed to be getting a cartoon or something a year or so back? that kind of fell off the radar).

Or they are actively locked onto what I'll call nu-Squyare vs the golden era Squaresoft. FF7/8/10/13/15 are all off the same writer and the guy currently helming it is the main character designer. You might notice thats the trend for convulted messes of over-expositioned stories and having seventy--thousand belts on each character, respectively.

(I was actually surprised the original FF7 writer had anything to do with the spinoffs, given Sephiroph's non-role in the original game and the fetishization of him in all the others, but whatever, lean into your fanservice market I guess)

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Pretty stokes about that. Dragon dogma had a bunch of cool idea but was obviously cut short in development, so hopefully this time it'll get properly developed. Although a lot of the interesting idea where a bit on the janky side, I fear they'll try to buff those out and end up with a very generic open world game.

Also obligatory

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty stokes about that. Dragon dogma had a bunch of cool idea but was obviously cut short in development, so hopefully this time it'll get properly developed. Although a lot of the interesting idea where a bit on the janky side, I fear they'll try to buff those out and end up with a very generic open world game.

Also obligatory
It's Hideaki Itsuno, you will all be fine. The man is consistent, though a dumb idea or gameplay mechanic goes in to his head every now and then.

Reactions: meiam

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The main jank in Dragons Dogma (the moment to moment anyways, the kind of filler-in sidequests aside) seemed to be that about 30% of the movesets seemed to base around what was probably meant to be multiplayer, but got cut back to the AI pawns who had no strategic capacity to actually do any of the combo moves.

Whether that ends up be actual people pawns summoned to your world in the second, or at least the AI becomes directable or something would be interesting to know.

Also having the world be overly static and the rather grindy upgrade system.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The main jank in Dragons Dogma (the moment to moment anyways, the kind of filler-in sidequests aside) seemed to be that about 30% of the movesets seemed to base around what was probably meant to be multiplayer, but got cut back to the AI pawns who had no strategic capacity to actually do any of the combo moves.

Whether that ends up be actual people pawns summoned to your world in the second, or at least the AI becomes directable or something would be interesting to know.

Also having the world be overly static and the rather grindy upgrade system.
There were other stuff. Like I loved that night/cave were really freaking dark, but I know most people hate that so I imagine they'll just crank up that dumb blue filter in response. I liked that there was no fast travel and they tried to do some stuff to make travelling interesting (like pawn filling the road), but again I know people traveling in open world game, and they eventually just gave the player a ton of fast travel crystal in dark arisen. The weird ass love interest system where you could end up with just random NPC being designated as your love interest. Just a bunch of nice fun little touch that individually didn't really work but helped make the game unique.

Some of the jank I do wish get removed, like not being able to change your moveset in the wild combined with very limited number of ability you could have active at once.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Gotta say, it's pretty crazy that even after well over a dozen main FF games, only one of them (and nowhere near the "first" mind you), is revered enough to warrant an anniversary dedication, let alone a four part reimagining of it. The whole things seems rather unprecedented.
Would prefer they reimagine 4 or 6 instead since those games would benefit more from being fleshed out. 4 in particular would work better with this episodic model since there's so much party changing in it. You'd get variety and would justify a lack of carry over between episodes.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Once again, SE can go fuck themselves. Congrats, you're paying a total of $180-200+ for a remake of a $50.00 game split in to three parts. You can all have fun with the game, if you wish.
Your jadedness knows no bounds it seems.

This would be a valid statement if FF7Remake was a shit game made for milking bucks, if it was garbage I would be right there with you. But it isn't and the project is drastically different from the original both in scope and in actual story. So your mockery makes no sense here and just comes out of ignorance and blind vindictiveness.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Your jadedness knows no bounds it seems.

This would be a valid statement if FF7Remake was a shit game made for milking bucks, if it was garbage I would be right there with you. But it isn't and the project is drastically different from the original both in scope and in actual story. So your mockery makes no sense here and just comes out of ignorance and blind vindictiveness.
Doesn't matter if it was or was not. It's still a scam, and you know it. We've been through this already. That's the problem with most of the FF7 fans. I know they are good ones out there, but a lot of them keep falling for the same crap. They'll cry and complain about the most trivial things, but will act like they're getting the BBDs on the remake of a game that was split in the three parts and we charge at premium or more depending on the addition they choose to buy. I'm glad SE is done with NFTS, but it still doesn't excuse the other crap, nor am I backing down. You all deserve better, but not if it's the same mistake you're going to make over and over again. Besides, if there's anyone that's more jaded, it's you. I'm just pointing out what's actually wrong here and bother to look at the big picture. 2028 is a long way away, and there are so many other games that will have my attention. Not worth the wait. Life fucking happens. I'll be getting FF16 (DMC5 combat designer!) and maybe the new Valkyrie Profile game, but that's all you'll hear from me when it comes to SE games. I want nothing to do with them otherwise.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I checked out the steam page for FF7 Remake

If you go to the discussion section, people are complaining on two things: the $70 price tag and performance issue just like EGS version

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Only furthering proving my point. Thank you, @FakeSympathy
The sad thing is, I REALLY want the game. I really do. But that $70 price mark is too much for me. I realize pricing doesn't speak for the quality of the game, and I understand this is what PS5 owners are paying so SE is trying to make it fair, so why not make it like $40? It's not a new game, but a re-release. Other than graphical enhancements, I don't see any major QoL changes or some additional contents. Skyrim SE and AE costs $40 and $50 respectively, and they are just a graphically enhanced version of the original 2011 game.

Other popular ps4 titles that have been released on PC are all $50 as well; GoW, Days Gone, HZD. So I don't see why shouldn't this one also be at that price.

It pains me, because I really liked FF7R on ps4. Too bad I don't have either anymore can't play that anymore.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Wait, what happened to your PS4?
The disc drive somehow gave out, and wouldn't read any physical disk. It was past the point of warrantly, I don't feel like getting a replacement or taking it to a repair shop (kinda tight on money right now), and no one was interested in taking it off of me. So now it's just sitting there in a paper bag, in my closet, catching dust with 7 phyiscal games, including FF7R.

I am still happy that I have my gaming pc, and I would be lying if I said I've spent times equally on both, but it really sucks because ps4 felt like a getaway

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The sad thing is, I REALLY want the game. I really do. But that $70 price mark is too much for me. I realize pricing doesn't speak for the quality of the game, and I understand this is what PS5 owners are paying so SE is trying to make it fair, so why not make it like $40? It's not a new game, but a re-release. Other than graphical enhancements, I don't see any major QoL changes or some additional contents. Skyrim SE and AE costs $40 and $50 respectively, and they are just a graphically enhanced version of the original 2011 game.

Other popular ps4 titles that have been released on PC are all $50 as well; GoW, Days Gone, HZD. So I don't see why shouldn't this one also be at that price.

It pains me, because I really liked FF7R on ps4. Too bad I don't have either anymore.
What’s frustrating is Square releasing better versions of the game after it’s barely been out. Like the Intergrade thing, is free for people who’ve “bought” the PS+ version of FF7 Remake, but apparently not for anyone who shelled out for the physical collector’s edition.

They won’t be getting anymore of my $ until this whole bloody thing is out and preferably a PS+ deal, since they’ve shown that’s the preferred way to get it from a consumer standpoint.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The disc drive somehow gave out, and wouldn't read any physical disk. It was past the point of warrantly, I don't feel like getting a replacement or taking it to a repair shop (kinda tight on money right now), and no one was interested in taking it off of me. So now it's just sitting there in a paper bag, in my closet, catching dust with 7 phyiscal games, including FF7R.

I am still happy that I have my gaming pc, and I would be lying if I said I've spent times equally on both, but it really sucks because ps4 felt like a getaway
Do you have a UbreakIfix in your area or state? They have a home technology plan you can sign up for, and you only have to pay $26 a month? You can cancel it anytime. Instead of paying 100 plus dollars up front for repair. It's how I was able to get my PS4 cleaned. Once it got cleaned and I gave it a couple weeks, I canceled early on. But like I said you could cancel the moment they finish repairing your PS4. Just make sure to save the brochure so you can follow the proper instructions.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I checked out the steam page for FF7 Remake

If you go to the discussion section, people are complaining on two things: the $70 price tag and performance issue just like EGS version
That looks like $50 to me. Buy it on sale. The PS5 version is still full price at every store unless they put it on sale.

People act like you can just get the game for $12 on Playstation right now and it's not true. Right now the Steam version is the cheapest version atm by $20.

I don't understand the argument about the price, I really don't. It would make sense if the game was cheaper on the console but it's not so there is no unfair demand imo.

It's still a scam, and you know it
Explain to me how it's a scam when the Remake was a 45 hour full RPG with a begining, middle, and end? And was one of the best games of the year, if not THE best game of the year?

I really don't understand your bias sometimes. I get that you just hate every AAA-studio except Capcom as far as I can tell, but that doesn't mean everything AAA-studios do is bad.

I want nothing to do with them otherwise.
That's you but clearly I don't feel scammed or strung along because the products I'm getting out of the project are good. You are calling something a scam with an outside perspective of someone with no stake in the argument. So when someone who is a fan, and who's played the game (10 times), is telling you that it wasn't a partial game, nor a scam, why do you still sit back and call it bullshit? You have no justification for calling it that other than personal bias.

And yet for calling Square scummy and franchise milkers you sound awfully interest in the milked franchise of Final Fantasy 16 and Valkyrie Profile. So you are clearly willing to drop you hatred when something appeals to you. Which is hypocritical as fuck don't you think? Don't answer that, I'm not interested in hearing your excuses for why the company sucks but it's okay to buy something because you want it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Explain to me how it's a scam when the Remake was a 45 hour full RPG with a begining, middle, and end? And was one of the best games of the year, if not THE best game of the year?
So? Doesn't make it any less a scam. I suppose to see when you make the Yuffie DLC only available for next-gen's consoles.

I really don't understand your bias sometimes.
Everyone's biased. You're just trying to break it down to Black and White or not looking at the bigger picture.

I get that you just hate every AAA-studio except Capcom as far as
Ha! As much as I like capcom, they still have their issues. They just finally learned to try and actually get their heads out of their asses. I'm still tough with them when necessary, and I don't give them an inch. I'm just glad I got people in charge now to actually want to have fun and make some freaking sense.

can tell, but that doesn't mean everything AAA-studios do is bad.
True, but most of it is. We've been down this already. You're just repeating yourself at this point.

That's you but clearly I don't feel scammed or strung along because the products I'm getting out of the project are good. You are calling something a scam with an outside perspective of someone with no stake in the argument. So when someone who is a fan, and who's played the game (10 times), is telling you that it wasn't a partial game, nor a scam, why do you still sit back and call it bullshit? You have no justification for calling it that other than personal bias.
Look at that, somebody justifying their purchase out of persecution and desperation. More power to you. Weren't you the same person that was also panicking, flailing, and throwing a fit about SE when it came to those nfts? How the president of company considered us lesser than people for daring to have fun with actual games and not make it a chore or a "daily job"? These are the same people that screwed up with FF15. The same people with the go big or go home attitude. A problem that's been playing them since the original release of FF7.

And yet for calling Square scummy and franchise milkers you sound awfully interest in the milked franchise of Final Fantasy 16 and Valkyrie Profile. So you are clearly willing to drop you hatred when something appeals to you. Which is hypocritical as fuck don't you think? Don't answer that, I'm not interested in hearing your excuses for why the company sucks but it's okay to buy something because you want it.
FF16 I only care because of the combat designer. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even bother. VP I said maybe. Emphasis on maybe. SE is nothing more than a means to an end, and I can barely dignify them to even call them that. You and Sony and Nintendo are becoming means to an end at this point. It's not really hypocritical. Either I get their products or I don't. Now they start going back on their word and start doing the nfts or scummy DLC stuff, I won't buy it. It's as simple as that. Your problem is that you're a slave to their whims and their memes. Not completely, but you are partially. Isn't that right Mr."pay to win acceptance".?

You'll never be truly free with that attitude. You can do whatever you wish and justify how you want; I don't give a damn. Remember, you always have a choice. So don't come crying to me or anyone else on this thread, when they find another way to screw you over, or they do something you don't like.

And before you start another large rant...