General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Funny how he plays that but says "real" video games are the source of all evils in society today. fucking boomers
My parents are boomers too, and they your dad is full of shit, and they would call him that too. I guess he never bothered reading those articles that already stated a million times that video games don't cause sexism, rape, or violence? Or does he consider that fake news? Sounds like we have another case of someone from an older generation passing on playing problems a younger generation didn't ask for. Also sounds like a person that's afraid and insecure of being called a gamer, and tries to pass it off as "I'm not like those other gamers!".

I rarely ever met someone like that. A person that plays just casual mobile or desktop games, and be insecure or look down on people for playing games on consoles and PC. It's still disgusting and toxic attitude either way. Not playing "gamers games", doesn't make you any better or worse than everyone else.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I rarely ever met someone like that. A person that plays just casual mobile or desktop games, and be insecure or look down on people for playing games on consoles and PC. It's still disgusting and toxic attitude either way. Not playing "gamers games", doesn't make you any better or worse than everyone else.
I think the stigma with "real gamers" when they hear that someone only plays mobile games is that the "real Gamer" sees this person as part of the problems that have infected the industry. Let's face it us "real gamers" are not buying microtransactions, we aren't stuffing GTA with shark cards, we aren't Fortnite dancing, we aren actively and powerfully against that kind of thing. So when we see someone that says "Oh I only play a few games on the phone." It instantly triggers us like, "YOU!! You're one of the fuckers ruining everything for all of us!" Because if someone only plays mobile games then you know they are feeding that toxic ecosystem that inherently infects everything else.

So the attitude is toxic for sure, but what other defense do "real gamers" have. It's not like you are going to sit and have a conversation with this person as to why buying extra lives in candy crush is actively destroying gaming for everyone. Nobody would listen because the people playing mobile games don't actual care. To them there is no consideration about the money, or the quality of the piece of shit they are playing, they just want to get through level 397. As a result the only impact one might have on this person and in gaming as a whole is to shame the mobile player.

The thing is there is a right way and a wrong way of playing mobile games. People who put minecraft on their tablet so their kid will shut the fuck up while the adult eat dinner or whatever is fine. There is nothing wrong with minecraft on the mobile system because it's the same as the console in the fact that you buy it and you have minecraft whatever. It's an entirely different thing to give that same kid fortnight, or angry birds, or even candy crush, because everything about those games wants you to spend money, they exist for you to spend endless money on them and parents really should be educated on this becuase it's predatory and the kid isn't going to know any better, they just want the dinosaur skin or whatever, and the parent even with self control might buy it for a birthday or being well-behaved or whatever and that's wrong. Not because it's bad to buy a gift or reward the child but because the draw of sinking money into these games never ends. And by the time you catch yourself you've bought enough fucking skins, or extra turns, or whatever to outright pay for a Playstation 5 at scalper prices and you've nothing to show for it but a game that will never stop asking you for more money.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the stigma with "real gamers" when they hear that someone only plays mobile games is that the "real Gamer" sees this person as part of the problems that have infected the industry
I never once held that attitude, even as the mobile market got worse. When it was doing fine at the start, I was more than happy to see more open avenues for games. Of course, none of us ever knew how worse or manipulative it would get as time went on.
So the attitude is toxic for sure, but what other defense do "real gamers" have. It's not like you are going to sit and have a conversation with this person as to why buying extra lives in candy crush is actively destroying gaming for everyone. Nobody would listen because the people playing mobile games don't actual care. To them there is no consideration about the money, or the quality of the piece of shit they are playing, they just want to get through level 397. As a result the only impact one might have on this person and in gaming as a whole is to shame the mobile player.
While there are truths to that, so many people started to realize how much money they lost or how much of someone else's money they spend, and screwed up and got them in the bankruptcy or huge debt. Then they'll start to listen. I've actually been able to convince people to at least look at what they're buying, or play something else less manipulative and toxic. Can't get every person, but it's nice to still help out.

Speaking of casual gamers, I remember a few weeks ago at a GameStop I met a guy who was planning to get the next NBA 2K game. I was just browsing stuff, and he was apparently trading in his son's games, cuz he didn't play them anymore (it was just him that came to the store). We ended up chatting, and he started making complaints on how there are less and less features when he's looking through the pre-order sheets of the new NBA 2K game. I asked him "Where where have you been since 2012 and 2013? They've been doing this for about 10 years now." He also kind of back pedal and try to make it defense, because Michael Jordan is on the cover. We got into a minor argument, but I told him I'd if you want, but I ain't paying that piece of crap. Especially with Michael Jordan on the cover. I don't hate the guy, but I particularly don't care for for him either. The same man that was complaining about the price, and them taking away certain features from the last game, is the same guy that said "I don't game like that (in an almost defensive tone)!". When we were mentioning what games we were waiting on (I showed him the picture of the new God of War game on the pre-order sheet). I didn't press it, but I did tell him, that's okay. Not everybody plays the same game as everybody else. I certainly don't have a problem with it. It's like he's almost afraid that someone was going to judge him for it, even though his son plays games. Maybe not the same type of games he plays, but NBA 2K is a game casual gamers and hardcore gamers play. You you would think he would realize that. He looked only slightly younger than me, so who knows.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Speaking of casual gamers, I remember a few weeks ago at a GameStop I met a guy who was planning to get the next NBA 2K game. I was just browsing stuff, and he was apparently trading in his son's games, cuz he didn't play them anymore (it was just him that came to the store). We ended up chatting, and he started making complaints on how there are less and less features when he's looking through the pre-order sheets of the new NBA 2K game. I asked him "Where where have you been since 2012 and 2013? They've been doing this for about 10 years now." He also kind of back pedal and try to make it defense, because Michael Jordan is on the cover. We got into a minor argument, but I told him I'd if you want, but I ain't paying that piece of crap. Especially with Michael Jordan on the cover. I don't hate the guy, but I particularly don't care for for him either. The same man that was complaining about the price, and them taking away certain features from the last game, is the same guy that said "I don't game like that (in an almost defensive tone)". When we were mention what games we were waiting on (I showed him the picture of the new God of War game on the pre-order sheet). I didn't press it, but I did tell him, that's okay. Not everybody plays the same game as everybody else. I certainly don't have a problem with it. It's like he's almost afraid that someone was going to judge him for it, even though his son plays games. Maybe not the same type of games he plays, but NBA 2K is a game casual gamers and hardcore gamers play. You you would think you would realize that. He looked only slightly younger than me, so who knows.
It is crazy the lengths of the degrees that this hobby of gaming goes.

You know how I game, and how much my ear is to the ground of the industry as a whole. Hell being on this site is a huge step up from what would be the average. I'm aware of every major release, every console, every platform announcement, company purchases, mergers, I'm deep into this shit.

Yet my warehouse guy just bragged about getting a new Xbox Series X and how great the new Call of Duty looks. When you ask him what he games, he will tell you he plays CoD, Halo, and Madden, nothing else. Doesn't know shit about shit when it comes to other games. Doesn't even know shit about the games he DOES play. All he knows is he likes Call of Duty and that's it.

I think Gaming must be the only Hobby that is perfectly okay for people not to know shit about it. Think about that. Can you name any other hobby where people don't get invested into learning about it? Surfers are always looking at different boards, always trying to find better ways to catch better waves. Musician's are always learning new songs, new techniques, learning about gear and set ups. I can't think of any hobby that someone can have while at the same time being so disinterested in it.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
It is crazy the lengths of the degrees that this hobby of gaming goes.

You know how I game, and how much my ear is to the ground of the industry as a whole. Hell being on this site is a huge step up from what would be the average. I'm aware of every major release, every console, every platform announcement, company purchases, mergers, I'm deep into this shit.

Yet my warehouse guy just bragged about getting a new Xbox Series X and how great the new Call of Duty looks. When you ask him what he games, he will tell you he plays CoD, Halo, and Madden, nothing else. Doesn't know shit about shit when it comes to other games. Doesn't even know shit about the games he DOES play. All he knows is he likes Call of Duty and that's it.

I think Gaming must be the only Hobby that is perfectly okay for people not to know shit about it. Think about that. Can you name any other hobby where people don't get invested into learning about it? Surfers are always looking at different boards, always trying to find better ways to catch better waves. Musician's are always learning new songs, new techniques, learning about gear and set ups. I can't think of any hobby that someone can have while at the same time being so disinterested in it.
Listening to music. There are definitely people out there who listen to one genre of music and THAT'S IT.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's nothing new. Back in my first year college in 2007, there were four guys that lived across from my unit in the dorms, and all most of them ever played was Halo, COD, or Madden. Most of them were cool, though I didn't appreciate one of them calling Viewtiful Joe "gay". He happened to see me playing the game one day, and I told him don't disrespect the Joe Man! He ain't Master Chief, but I give zero fucks. He wisely backed off. I didn't notice that he always got uncomfortable with anything Japanese or anime related, so he definitely has some negative biases and insecurities. I never knew if he considered anime all hentai, or "kiddie", but I hope they do later on got to wake up call and life to be respectful of what people like and play. All for them unfortunately had some type of negative frat boy stereotype you would instantly recognize.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think the stigma with "real gamers" when they hear that someone only plays mobile games is that the "real Gamer" sees this person as part of the problems that have infected the industry. Let's face it us "real gamers" are not buying microtransactions, we aren't stuffing GTA with shark cards, we aren't Fortnite dancing, we aren actively and powerfully against that kind of thing. So when we see someone that says "Oh I only play a few games on the phone." It instantly triggers us like, "YOU!! You're one of the fuckers ruining everything for all of us!" Because if someone only plays mobile games then you know they are feeding that toxic ecosystem that inherently infects everything else.

The thing is there is a right way and a wrong way of playing mobile games. People who put minecraft on their tablet so their kid will shut the fuck up while the adult eat dinner or whatever is fine. There is nothing wrong with minecraft on the mobile system because it's the same as the console in the fact that you buy it and you have minecraft whatever. It's an entirely different thing to give that same kid fortnight, or angry birds, or even candy crush, because everything about those games wants you to spend money, they exist for you to spend endless money on them and parents really should be educated on this becuase it's predatory and the kid isn't going to know any better, they just want the dinosaur skin or whatever, and the parent even with self control might buy it for a birthday or being well-behaved or whatever and that's wrong. Not because it's bad to buy a gift or reward the child but because the draw of sinking money into these games never ends. And by the time you catch yourself you've bought enough fucking skins, or extra turns, or whatever to outright pay for a Playstation 5 at scalper prices and you've nothing to show for it but a game that will never stop asking you for more money.

And the icing on the cake is they don’t understand a goddamn thing about what you just said, but their opinion still trumps everyone else’s due to the superiority complex that’s often inherited/passed down/etc.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ha!

Why?! If this is another character goes into the real world scenario, I'm instantly not even going to bother with a sigh.

There goes Unity.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Then let's add my dad and his minesweeper addiction. Funny how he plays that but says "real" video games are the source of all evils in society today. fucking boomers.

That's sad, but only because mobile games are evil. God imagine a world where the mobile market wasn't all shovelware dogshit or greedy money sucking holes? Stadia or OnLive could have been amazing if they worked on a mobile network and could be run on phones. Playing full fledged games through your cell phone while eatting at a restaurant or waiting for the bus would be insane.
Then corps ban phones in the workspace to prevent gaming on company time.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Then let's add my dad and his minesweeper addiction. Funny how he plays that but says "real" video games are the source of all evils in society today. fucking boomers.

That's sad, but only because mobile games are evil. God imagine a world where the mobile market wasn't all shovelware dogshit or greedy money sucking holes? Stadia or OnLive could have been amazing if they worked on a mobile network and could be run on phones. Playing full fledged games through your cell phone while eatting at a restaurant or waiting for the bus would be insane.
Did you really just scoff at your dad saying "proper" games are evil, then immediately say mobile games are evil?

Classic.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Boomers were telling us Gen-Xers that back in the day. We were all going to end up going outside and start walking to the right while beating up everyone we came across, and America would turn into one of those dystopian hellholes that '80s action movies would send the lone vigilante into. Anyone from my generation who says that now is an utter hypocrite.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Boomers were telling us Gen-Xers that back in the day. We were all going to end up going outside and start walking to the right while beating up everyone we came across, and America would turn into one of those dystopian hellholes that '80s action movies would send the lone vigilante into. Anyone from my generation who says that now is an utter hypocrite.
Now i kinda wanna make a retro platformer where you only run to the left and only the left.