General Gaming News.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Interview about cult of the lamb and possibility of it perhaps helping inoculate younens against future indoctrination, hosted by ex cult members

We cover conspiracy theories, spiritual abuse, and religious and right-wing extremism. We cover showmen and charismatics suffering from King Victim Complex. Last week we had to study a goddam assassination attempt.

But sometimes we get to peek into the worlds that younger people are making within our cursed digital environments, and we realize they might be laughing at some of the problems that fill us olds with despair right out of existence.

Gaming journalist and Master of Divinity Riley MacLeod joins Matthew to talk about whether the hit indie game Cult of the Lamb might be all the inoculation against cultic dynamics that generation Alpha ever needs.

Show Notes

Riley MacLeod - Aftermath

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Great, now we'll never get the plot payoff for the Chevy Tahoe! I'll never sleep soundly again!
Man, just looking at that still, you really have to wonder why they dropped the ball so bad. The practical effects in season 1 were stellar, and even some of the Covenant stuff wasn't bad. Their decision to focus on Chief as a person really feels like they thought Halo was a silly little video game for kids, so they had it make it all mature.

Personally all they had to do was make Halo, but grimmer. Actually capture the horror of the human race having to fight a technologically superior foe. None of the stupid "the Forerunners were behind everything" bullshit that Halo has always struggled with in the first place.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's an upload from the official Sonic YouTube page from 5 days ago that is a comparison video with SA2 Shadow stages and Generations stages.

New Action Game

Last edited:
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
There will be Olympic games in e-sports, starting 2025.

In Saudi Arabia in 2025, then held every second year between the Summer and Winter games.

I don't care about e-sports, and I feel the Olympic games as a brand get diluted if an event is held every year.
There's an event called Asian Games, where countries that are in Asia compete in various sporting events. In 2022, they added e-sports category, featuring DOTA 2, League of Legends, Street Fighter V, EA FC Online, PUBG Mobile, and bunch of other games.

The PUBG Mobile generated huge controversies, because instead of shooting at other players the participants were forced to run a shooting range course. Apparently Chinese government had a hand in this, for the purpose of "An event about peace and sportsmanship, not violence"

It's so weird, because both DOTA 2 and LoL are about killing off other team and get the objectives. Korea dominated the LOL as usual, and some Chinese community got salty over it

Reactions: Bedinsis

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden

The Actor's guild are striking again, this time to get more decent compensation (salaries have not kept up with inflation) and to stop them from scraping their acting in video games for AI. 98 % of the members was in favor of the strike when it was authorized last september.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

The Actor's guild are striking again, this time to get more decent compensation (salaries have not kept up with inflation) and to stop them from scraping their acting in video games for AI. 98 % of the members was in favor of the strike when it was authorized last september.
I have a feeling this strike was piggybacked by that Activision union a day earlier:

Best of luck to all protestors and union members! But I wonder who they can direct the demands to, especially after the merger w/ MS?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I have a feeling this strike was piggybacked by that Activision union a day earlier:
Huh. I guess Microsoft kept their word.

It lead me to find out that Microsoft has promised to not interfere with workers unionizing
Unless they've signed a binding agreement that will lead to ruinous fines if they break it, I don't believe them for an instant.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This is the kind of situation in which I don't at all mind being proven wrong.
To be clear, me quoting you was not me going "nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you made the wrong call~~", it was me thinking you might appreciate to get an update on this.

In particular since I consider being suspicious of big companies a healthy attitude.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Didn't know it was happening in the first place, but this could actually be a good thing. Over-budgetting anything rarely leads to good products
You have a point, but the grandeur of Rapture added loads to the ignominy of its fall. I'm not sure Netflix is capable of coming up with something equivalent.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
You have a point, but the grandeur of Rapture added loads to the ignominy of its fall. I'm not sure Netflix is capable of coming up with something equivalent.
Maybe they could still pull off the grandeur if the original idea was just to throw moar cgi into it, but part of the cuts involved scaling back on that and let practical effects do most of the of the heavy lifting.

Reactions: BrawlMan