General Gaming News.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
From what I'm reading is pretty clear that just wanted her out and get a bigger name like Jennifer Hales.
I'm probably one Hale's biggest fanbois, but she doesn't seem like she can do the sort of voice Bayonetta uses. Like the closest I've ever heard her to Bayonetta is her stint as Felicia Hardy on Spider-Man TAS. But even then, Bayonetta is levels above Black Cat again.

Reactions: BrawlMan

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
From what I'm reading is pretty clear that just wanted her out and get a bigger name like Jennifer Hales.
I’d like to think Jennifer was oblivious to the whole thing, and she accepted the role thinking the original VA left on a good terms.

She is also staying quiet on twitter, probably due to the NDA

It also appears that Kamiya’s account doesn’t exist anymore lol

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I’d like to think Jennifer was oblivious to the whole thing, and she accepted the role thinking the original VA left on a good terms.

I feel sorry for her she stepped on a landmine not realizing what was going down.

I am curious how many people involved in this game knew the full situation, Hell my biggest question is if Nintendo knew or atleast how much they knew? because if they didn't know or atleat did not pay attention to the deal closely enough this could destroy Platinums relationship with Nintendo.

not because of moral reasons but because Nintendo does not like bad PR especially with replacing the voice actor costing more money anyway.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Probably, given how the original actress waited until the game was about to launch to come out about it. Jennifer likely had no idea about any of this, she like just got a call from the agency or studio and offered the gig and took it like any other job.

It's hard to say, because we don't know what an average voice actor makes for a game. I would assume $4000 isn't THAT low per job to be honest, these people aren't movie stars and aren't getting Millions per game. Go into the studio read lines and whatever.

I mean the guy who's been Goku for 20 fucking years, only has a net worth of 3 mill. Which means he's probably only making a couple grand per episode of DBZ, maybe more for films.

Laura Bailey is worth 1 mill, and she's been in fucking EVERYTHING under the sun. These actors are not paid much per project.

$4000 might be low for a staring role in a game, but I'm betting Hale didn't make much more than that.

According to this a 4-hour recording session will pay about $900 dollars, even to people like Troy Baker. I'm sure that price goes up with Mo-cap and such but how many sessions do you think a game needs to get all the voices for a single actor done? Five, maybe 6? So $6000 or less for the whole game?

Reactions: FakeSympathy

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Probably, given how the original actress waited until the game was about to launch to come out about it. Jennifer likely had no idea about any of this, she like just got a call from the agency or studio and offered the gig and took it like any other job.

It's hard to say, because we don't know what an average voice actor makes for a game. I would assume $4000 isn't THAT low per job to be honest, these people aren't movie stars and aren't getting Millions per game. Go into the studio read lines and whatever.

I mean the guy who's been Goku for 20 fucking years, only has a net worth of 3 mill. Which means he's probably only making a couple grand per episode of DBZ, maybe more for films.

Laura Bailey is worth 1 mill, and she's been in fucking EVERYTHING under the sun. These actors are not paid much per project.

$4000 might be low for a staring role in a game, but I'm betting Hale didn't make much more than that.

According to this a 4-hour recording session will pay about $900 dollars, even to people like Troy Baker. I'm sure that price goes up with Mo-cap and such but how many sessions do you think a game needs to get all the voices for a single actor done? Five, maybe 6? So $6000 or less for the whole game?
I get the feeling ol Troy boy is too much of a diva to ever settle for that amount, let alone his pleb contemporaries.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I get the feeling ol Troy boy is too much of a diva to ever settle for that amount, let alone his pleb contemporaries.
He doesn't have a choice. 900 plus 10% is the union standard. Now Troy might get bonuses or residuals based on game sales on the back end. But his direct compensation has to fall in line with the union rate.

Also remember Troy is a Diva but he is a fantastic actor, and the good actors get more parts than they can feasibly do.

Let me ask you guys something, what has this Bayonetta Actress done besides Bayonetta? I'm sure some stuff, but I have never heard of her before so she is a small fish in the VO pond.

There are a lot of details about her pay offer that remain in the dark. How many sessions did it take to record Bay 3? If it was 5 or less then $4000 is about market standard. So what exactly is the problem, she doesn't say.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

G4TV has shutdown in a shocking surprise to no one after several months of insane rants. And of course G4TV didn't tell their staff this news as TheCompletionist replies to this tweet as this is how he found out he lost his job.

So if ya'll don't remember Frosk went on a "gamers are all sexist" rant, and basically shit on the entire audience. Viewship then vanished and for month G4 desperately tried to bring viewers back. Frosk was already not liked by viewers because she always spoke bullshit about gaming which made it clear to everyone who watched that she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about, and yet nobody ever corrected her on the show, much less have her correct herself in a follow up news show. Nerds generally don't enjoy watching people get basic shit wrong especially on a news program. Frosk would be confused about what games were coming to which consoles, what games were exclusives, and even spoke about waiting for games that had already been released months prior. Her rant merely sealed the deal where she came across as a total twatbag, and is likely why nobody corrected her on the show because she would cry sexism or some shit.

If you go back and watch the rant, a lot of people think it was scripted, but the people on the couch with her just kind of shit uncomfortably as it seems like they didn't know what was happening.

A few weeks ago they fired a bunch of staff and Frosk made a tweet saying "I survived bitches", which just shows how great of a person she is in publicly celebrating that she didn't get fired while probably several of her friends did. Two days after she made that tweet, she was fired.

Now a couple weeks later and it's obvious that G4TV was unwilling and unable to make content that people wanted to watch so bye-bye yet again.

Maye instead of shitting on your audience you could have just hired a hot chick on the show and make sure she got a script that would allow her not to sound like an idiot when she spoke. You know, like they used to.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

G4TV has shutdown in a shocking surprise to no one after several months of insane rants. And of course G4TV didn't tell their staff this news as TheCompletionist replies to this tweet as this is how he found out he lost his job.

So if ya'll don't remember Frosk went on a "gamers are all sexist" rant, and basically shit on the entire audience. Viewship then vanished and for month G4 desperately tried to bring viewers back. Frosk was already not liked by viewers because she always spoke bullshit about gaming which made it clear to everyone who watched that she didn't know what the fuck she was talking about, and yet nobody ever corrected her on the show, much less have her correct herself in a follow up news show. Nerds generally don't enjoy watching people get basic shit wrong especially on a news program. Frosk would be confused about what games were coming to which consoles, what games were exclusives, and even spoke about waiting for games that had already been released months prior. Her rant merely sealed the deal where she came across as a total twatbag, and is likely why nobody corrected her on the show because she would cry sexism or some shit.

If you go back and watch the rant, a lot of people think it was scripted, but the people on the couch with her just kind of shit uncomfortably as it seems like they didn't know what was happening.

A few weeks ago they fired a bunch of staff and Frosk made a tweet saying "I survived bitches", which just shows how great of a person she is in publicly celebrating that she didn't get fired while probably several of her friends did. Two days after she made that tweet, she was fired.

Now a couple weeks later and it's obvious that G4TV was unwilling and unable to make content that people wanted to watch so bye-bye yet again.

Maye instead of shitting on your audience you could have just hired a hot chick on the show and make sure she got a script that would allow her not to sound like an idiot when she spoke. You know, like they used to.
TBH, maybe there was an attempt write their content exactly as they used to do all those years ago, but they probably couldn't because youtube has been really stingy on what contents are allowed, as well as Twitch.

I still can't believe Adam Sessler shilled out to Frosk's behavior; The dude used to be hilarious and probably would have said something witty if he saw Frosk's rant back then. Hell, I think he still had it back when he was part of Rev 3 Games (dead channel from 7 years ago). I just don't understand why or how he changed

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Or, crazy idea, get someone who knows their arse from their elbow when it comes to gaming in the first place.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
TBH, maybe there was an attempt write their content exactly as they used to do all those years ago, but they probably couldn't because youtube has been really stingy on what contents are allowed, as well as Twitch.
Fucking what? Twitch let's girls chill in Hottubs and bikini's now.

I still can't believe Adam Sessler shilled out to Frosk's behavior; The dude used to be hilarious and probably would have said something witty if he saw Frosk's rant back then. Hell, I think he still had it back when he was part of Rev 3 Games (dead channel from 7 years ago). I just don't understand why or how he changed
I mean I don't wanna say the phrase, "Go woke, go Bro..." Because it's stereotypical, and a lot of people still don't believe it's actually a thing. But it is shocking at how often it seems to happen.

Also the funny thing about the sexism rant. Like a couple days later, they had Amouranth in a bikini jumping into a ball pit so....way to stick to you morals or whatever.

Bottom line is when you let virtue signaling dominate your content, nobody is going to watch that shit. There is nothing wrong with having beliefs and wanting to share those ideas and beliefs to your audience. But your priority should ALWAYS entertain first. Because you can have your message within your enjoyable content, but it's almost like people are afraid of being creative these days, Saint's Row being the key example of that.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  1. Not much better. Still dishonest, but in a different way. There's a reason why X-Play/G4 does not exist again. Most of the good people left, moved on to better things, web shows on YT do a much better job, and plenty of content not stuck to one station or channel. Not to mention, all of the good shows G4 got rid of, because of "common denominator/the average Joe does not get technology".
  2. I would take Kate Botello (Tech TV and Extended Play days. Before the merger with G4) any day over Morgan Webb. Kate wasn't perfect, but even knew her shit and was pretty cool overall. I don't know where she is now, but when she left, I heard things were going fine for her. That was in 2003. Botello is slightly older than Webb, but I always found her more attracting despite not looking as "hot". Webb I never hated, but I exactly did not care much for her.
I would say sad to see them go, I stopped missing them around 2009. Sessler, I lost respect for, but I would not wish him on losing another job. Dude can't take a break, and it's been pretty clear he's gotten tired of working this industry.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Or, crazy idea, get someone who knows their arse from their elbow when it comes to gaming in the first place.
True, there is nothing to say they even needed a girl on the show in the first place. Supposedly Frosk was a big League of Legends player and was supposed to handle E-sports type content, but I don't think that ever happened and she just ended up on other shows with shit she knew nothing about.

However let's not pretend that Olivia Munn was awesome in several ways to watch on Attack of the Show. And I wish we could pretend that being sexy is evil, and we need to enjoy watching for our brains or something. Sex sells, sex has always sold, sex will continue to sell no matter how much people wanna pretend it's a big naughty thing.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not much better. Still dishonest, but in a different way. There's a reason why X-Play/G4 does not exist again. Most of the good people left, moved on to better things, web shows on YT do a much better job, and plenty of content not stuck to one station or channel.
Yeah but people don't give a shit if the hot girl is lying about stuff. They just wanna watch and have her not say shit that makes no sense. That's literally all they had to do.

Munn was my personal favorite and she left to become a real actress on quite a few big movies and she's great in most stuff. The fact that she's beautiful, but also funny, and willing to joke about all sorts of things made her incredibly likable.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah but people don't give a shit if the hot girl is lying about stuff. They just wanna watch and have her not say shit that makes no sense. That's literally all they had to do.
Depends on who you're talking about. Even fans (and later older/disgruntled ex-fans) of got sick and tired of Webb, and some of the hot girls who were going on an obviously bad script. Sessler and some of the other male hosts and co-hosts did not make them much better, but they tried. That and most of the skits sucked during the mid to late 2000s. By the 2008-2011, X-Play was literally trying and got rid of the skits, and went back to focusing on reviews and previews. Some of the "sharp wit" remained, but they were putting in some effort. Only to lose people like Sessler and Webb later on, went back to unfunny skits that were even worse, and by this point, whoever was left wanted to move on to something better.

Last edited: