General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But I hear what you say: EA the publisher won't change. And to some degree I agree, but there is one aspect they do care about: the bottom line. If a competitor comes along and takes a big chunk out of their userbase then they get less income and that I suspect will prompt a response. If there is some radical new innovative idea with Life By You then they probably will make some version of that in one of their expansions; if there's not but it is still a success then they'll either have to accept less revenue or step up their game.
So yeah, as I said ideally it is good enough that it makes EA step up their game.
Good to know, but EA stepping up their game pretty much means nothing for me at this point. Regardless, if they did it right or not, because there are many others that are already doing it better, or stuff that the game further than whatever EA could imagine or do. What doesn't help with that their output of games is nowhere the amount it used to be back in the day or even parts of the early 2010s. I'll give credit to the in-house developers, but they can only do so much with what they're given.

well, the part of not paying back parents was news.
Yep. Still important to remember though. Ea wasn't the only one guilty of this of course. Epic had a big hand of this too. Along with Activision and Ubisoft.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Don't worry, the modders will fix it and add boobs.
I know its mostly a joke, but at the same time its a joke deeply rooted in reality. I don't know if its a lack of proper tool things, but I was pretty disappointed at mod selection for skyrim when I looked a few months ago. I think Skyrim is a fun game, but severely held back by gameplay issues that mostly stem from the fact that the player can at anytime chuck 50 potions (or cheese wheels) and be back to full health. I think this is a fairly obvious problem, so I was hoping to find a mod that would remove this and rebalance the game around this, but I've found nothing to that effect. I did find thousands of mod that do largely insignificant graphic changes (why are there so many water mod? You barely interact with water?!), and millions of add boobs mod but barely any that affect gameplay, and even then most where just adding spells.

For contrast, I also play total war warhammer, my big complain in that game is that you can have unlimited amount of high tier unit in army, which makes all end game army samey since most race have one high tier units that make everything else irrelevant, but not only is there a mod to fix just that, that mod is also integrated in others mods that do massive gameplay changes and really help keep it fresh.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I know its mostly a joke, but at the same time its a joke deeply rooted in reality. I don't know if its a lack of proper tool things, but I was pretty disappointed at mod selection for skyrim when I looked a few months ago. I think Skyrim is a fun game, but severely held back by gameplay issues that mostly stem from the fact that the player can at anytime chuck 50 potions (or cheese wheels) and be back to full health. I think this is a fairly obvious problem, so I was hoping to find a mod that would remove this and rebalance the game around this, but I've found nothing to that effect. I did find thousands of mod that do largely insignificant graphic changes (why are there so many water mod? You barely interact with water?!), and millions of add boobs mod but barely any that affect gameplay, and even then most where just adding spells.

For contrast, I also play total war warhammer, my big complain in that game is that you can have unlimited amount of high tier unit in army, which makes all end game army samey since most race have one high tier units that make everything else irrelevant, but not only is there a mod to fix just that, that mod is also integrated in others mods that do massive gameplay changes and really help keep it fresh.

Yeah, my mod list was shall we say, "extensive", and there were a few mods that made a bit of a difference to gameplay. The vampire overhaul (which really did improve vampires actually, it was like night and day...*cough*), hardcore survival mode (hunger, thirst, sleep etc I think this one stopped food giving you HP), skill tree rework (which among other things added a few combo options to combat, it was an improvement but not radically different), magic rework (admittedly mostly new spells & spell effects but it did make a difference to the viability of mages), the cold/weather survival mod.

But yeah... not that I looked for one but I don't recall seeing one that stops the ability to pause and go through your backpack at any time. It seems like the sort of thing someone might have made. Or maybe something that makes potions only act as an equipable item like spells. Number of times I died fucking around trying to equip a healing spell...

Given how it's made from Creation Engine 2, I'm sure modders will have a field day making Thomas the Tank Engine spaceships with boobs
Fixed that for you.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

If you listen carefully, you can hear sweet little lies faintly playing in the background
1. Zero gameplay.
2. Missing release dates is practically de rigeur these days.

Anyone who actually believes this trailer probably still thinks that Ubisoft's NFTs are going to be big.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Yeah, my mod list was shall we say, "extensive", and there were a few mods that made a bit of a difference to gameplay. The vampire overhaul (which really did improve vampires actually, it was like night and day...*cough*), hardcore survival mode (hunger, thirst, sleep etc I think this one stopped food giving you HP), skill tree rework (which among other things added a few combo options to combat, it was an improvement but not radically different), magic rework (admittedly mostly new spells & spell effects but it did make a difference to the viability of mages), the cold/weather survival mod.

But yeah... not that I looked for one but I don't recall seeing one that stops the ability to pause and go through your backpack at any time. It seems like the sort of thing someone might have made. Or maybe something that makes potions only act as an equipable item like spells. Number of times I died fucking around trying to equip a healing spell...
The hardcore survival mod is the only one that I could see getting close to what I want from mod (hoping it also reduce carry capacity so you can't carry 10 tons of food and water, which would trivialize that aspect), the revamp skill tree seems interesting, but this is something that would be great as part of an overhaul that would rebalance the various encounter, but without that it's just giving the player more power for the same content, which mean pretty quickly I'll just be obsenely overpowered, as if I needed that more.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just stop playing as a stealth archer. :)
I know that's the joke, but first time I played I did so as a sword and board, and that's where its absolutely obvious how broken the system is, I could use my shield to block hit, but I had so many potion that at some point, without ever really realizing it, I stopped blocking because as soon as I would get low on health I'd just pause and chug a few potion. Blocking wasn't even worth the effort since health was, for all intent and purpose, infinite.

But this does affect stealth archer in an indirect way, because in order to make the game harder, higher difficulty just increase enemy health and damage to ridiculous level since the only way to make the player character in danger is to have enough health that fight will be prolonged so long that the player will need to drink all their potion and could potentially run. But this mean that at a certain difficulty level, stealth archer headshoot won't kill enemy in a single hit, which will alert all the enemies immediately, ruining the whole "night assassin" things.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I know that's the joke, but first time I played I did so as a sword and board, and that's where its absolutely obvious how broken the system is, I could use my shield to block hit, but I had so many potion that at some point, without ever really realizing it, I stopped blocking because as soon as I would get low on health I'd just pause and chug a few potion. Blocking wasn't even worth the effort since health was, for all intent and purpose, infinite.
Potions? Oh yeah, they're a thing... I just build up my armour and block skills and forget all about potions. Just put on some heavy armour, grab a shield, get that heal spell ready and go annoy some giants.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
The hardcore survival mod is the only one that I could see getting close to what I want from mod (hoping it also reduce carry capacity so you can't carry 10 tons of food and water, which would trivialize that aspect), the revamp skill tree seems interesting, but this is something that would be great as part of an overhaul that would rebalance the various encounter, but without that it's just giving the player more power for the same content, which mean pretty quickly I'll just be obsenely overpowered, as if I needed that more.
Well, I'm not saying it is a game changer at all, it's still Skyrim but it's not just cool shit to make you more op.
It's been a while since I played but for example weapon skill damage bonus went up in 10s rather than 20s and was capped at 50 rather than 100, stealth damage bonus for archery was reduced to 25% then 50 max IIRC, various other bits, but you could get more situational and combo based bonuses as you go up the tree.
It felt like it added utility rather than just making your numbers go up.
Again, still Skyrim but I could feel the difference.

Reactions: meiam