General Gaming News.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
While Microsoft is getting all the heat, EA CEO also has been spweing some nonsense. I mean what else is new?
Having only read the title, I can see how developers are looking forward to using generative AI in games development.

Need to populate a landscape with certain bushes? Have an algorithm draw up a few possible combinations and then pick whichever looks best and adjust where needed.

Need to design a character? Have an AI generate a couple of possible designs and have it alter bits and pieces of it you don't like and finally make some finishing edits yourself.

If used right, generative AI can really help out in asset creation and deployment.

The bit about ads though... Fuck that.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Having only read the title, I can see how developers are looking forward to using generative AI in games development.

Need to populate a landscape with certain bushes? Have an algorithm draw up a few possible combinations and then pick whichever looks best and adjust where needed.

Need to design a character? Have an AI generate a couple of possible designs and have it alter bits and pieces of it you don't like and finally make some finishing edits yourself.

If used right, generative AI can really help out in asset creation and deployment.

The bit about ads though... Fuck that.
Okay, the use of AI for back-end work, algorithm, and coding? Totally viable. I mean my workplace encourages the use of in-house AI for coding-related works.

But for any creative/artistic work, I still think human minds are needed; Some of the work done by AI quite frankly looks generic from all the stuff I've came across

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Okay, the use of AI for back-end work, algorithm, and coding? Totally viable. I mean my workplace encourages the use of in-house AI for coding-related works.

But for any creative/artistic work, I still think human minds are needed; Some of the work done by AI quite frankly looks generic from all the stuff I've came across
Ehh, there's so much generic stuff coming out of human mind, I think its no different really. The best human is better than the best AI, but even a mildly curated AI output will probably far outperform your run of the mill human, if its doesn't already do.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
But these days, all of Spencer's directions seem to fail hard:
  • Releasing games both on Xbox and PC market ON RELEASE is kinda stupid, because why would anyone buy it on both platforms at launch? Sony understands this, and release their games on PS consoles first, and then on PC while later.
    • The rare exclusives that do get released usually are mediocre. I.E. Starfield
  • Acquiring as many studios as much as possible without considering the return; I.E. the Major purchase of both Bethesda and A/B
  • Over-reliance on game pass; It should be a supplementary feature, not the main gimmick
  • Multiple Xbox Console versions, which I believe makes it hard for developers to make their games work for all of the consoles
But the biggest issue IMO is how he gave up after Redfall; I am never gonna let this one down, and no one should either. Admitting Xbox is falling behind? That's good part, and he acknowledged the loss. Not even gonna consider supporting new exclusives? That's the crappy part. I mean FFS, PS and Switch both are steadily releasing exclusives; why not for Xbox? If you guys are at the last place, might as well as save your faces with some exclusives
I think it was the Bellular News channel that said "This year Microsoft has released more first-party studios than first-party titles".

I'm placing this all firmly at the feet of the ActiBlizzKing acquisition. Investors want big payoffs right now, and anything that isn't going to make line go up like a rocketship is considered dead weight to be shed. Add to that the fact that Microsoft is even more stagnant than Sony (which is an amazing achievement all in itself) and nobody in MS's C-suites seems to be getting any sort of coherent messaging, and you get this absolute clown show where an executive talks about needing small studios making award-winning games ONE FUCKING DAY after his company closes a small studio that made an award-winning game.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010

I agree that human minds are needed for creative / artistic work, we might disagree on the level of involvement though.

I feel that when one uses generative AI there should always be artistic human curation of the art created to ensure a certain vision and unity with the stuff around it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I agree that human minds are needed for creative / artistic work, we might disagree on the level of involvement though.

I feel that when one uses generative AI there should always be artistic human curation of the art created to ensure a certain vision and unity with the stuff around it.
When it comes to using AI. I prefer to just be on super minor stuff or something negligible. Anything more than that and I tend to have issues or notice something is off. For repeating certain backgrounds and textures I get. Especially if you're in an open forest environment or something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
@Dirty Hipsters & @CriticalGaming, behold, SIFU combined with WET!

Reminds me more of Max Payne 3 combined with the Batman Arkham games.

The problem is that the 3rd person gunplay looks less refined than Max Payne 3, and the combat animations don't look as weighty or impactful as the Arkham animations.

I like what they're going for, but without actually having put hands on it, just from the footage it looks kind of floaty. The big thing is that they're obviously trying to prevent any kind of animation snapping, so that moves look like they naturally lead into each other, but because of this it looks like they're adding a lot of frames of animation in between moves which makes it seem overall less responsive.

Having not played SIFU I don't know if it animated the same way, but just looking at it, I may not enjoy the feeling of playing this unless they really tighten up the animations.

Reactions: Gyrobot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reminds me more of Max Payne 3 combined with the Batman Arkham games.

The problem is that the 3rd person gunplay looks less refined than Max Payne 3, and the combat animations don't look as weighty or impactful as the Arkham animations.

I like what they're going for, but without actually having put hands on it, just from the footage it looks kind of floaty. The big thing is that they're obviously trying to prevent any kind of animation snapping, so that moves look like they naturally lead into each other, but because of this it looks like they're adding a lot of frames of animation in between moves which makes it seem overall less responsive.

Having not played SIFU I don't know if it animated the same way, but just looking at it, I may not enjoy the feeling of playing this unless they really tighten up the animations.
It says early footage, probably Alpha, so obviously more needs to be done. I am still gonna keep a look out for it. It's something interesting and different. We really don't have many gun-kata games. We got plenty of diving or jumping off the wall gun-fu John Woo style games, but not too many gun-kata. Wait and see approach, but I am excited.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
A piece of news I found out on Twitter, that surprised me a bit:

Bear in mind, 1981-2016 includes the years that the Wii was a super hit.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'm guessing that's because the Wii had a fairly low attach rate. Lots of folks bought a Wii for Wii Sports or Wii Fit or something, and pretty much nothing else. Whereas Switch owners seem to be buying a lot more games, considering there's some 20 first party games with sales over 10 mil units and about 50 more with sales over 1 mil. Also the additional revenue streams they didnt have in the Wii days, like Mario Kart passes, Pokemon Go, Amiibos, NSO, the Mario movie and its merch. Those help too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
A piece of news I found out on Twitter, that surprised me a bit:

Wonder if its would still be the same inflation adjusted? I also wonder how much of that is pure gaming versus other venture: movie, theme park, pokemon card etc.