General Gaming News.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
"I wonder if Ubisoft just did a shitty job researching Japan, or if people are just way more knowledgeable about Japanese culture than most other cultures.
Honestly, even i recognized a couple of the mistakes and i am not Japanese, nor an expert or particularly interested in Japan or paid to work on a Japan related project.

It is utter disregard and laziness that these things happened. If i were desiging assets for something i don't know anything about, i would at least invest 5 minutes for a superficial google search. And this could have avoided 80% of the known issues.

And yes, as that is the most popular era for media regarding Japans history and they chose Jasuke, a retainer of the most iconic figures in Japanese history as their main protagonist, people are more likely to recognize inconsistancies.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yet Ubisoft was able to get ancient China right in one of the 2.5D spin-off games from the XBLA era. Ubisoft, or those at the top do not fucking care when it comes to Japan at least.
Well, the article did cite a bunch of mismanagement going on as well. I wonder if the pandemic boosted the careers of people who either needed more time or didn't deserve to get boosted at all.

In my tech company, we just had a round of layoffs and the word going around was that it seems to be mainly our head of sales' fault. Guy was "performing" like crazy during the pandemic though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Honestly, even i recognized a couple of the mistakes and i am not Japanese, nor an expert or particularly interested in Japan or paid to work on a Japan related project.

It is utter disregard and laziness that these things happened. If i were desiging assets for something i don't know anything about, i would at least invest 5 minutes for a superficial google search. And this could have avoided 80% of the known issues.

And yes, as that is the most popular era for media regarding Japans history and they chose Jasuke, a retainer of the most iconic figures in Japanese history as their main protagonist, people are more likely to recognize inconsistancies.
Curious, what kind of mistakes did you make? I've largely checked out of this whole shebang, so while I am vaguely aware that is an issue, I haven't seen any myself.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Curious, what kind of mistakes did you make? I've largely checked out of this whole shebang, so while I am vaguely aware that is an issue, I haven't seen any myself.
Things that should have been obvious to everyone is the promotion figurine featuring both Oda and Toyotomi family crests at the same time or the quadratic tatami mats in the trailer. You don't need an expert for that.

Many other things like the wrong era seiza, the Chinese architecture, the wrong kanji in promotion articles, the upside down crest in the trailer, using a One Piece sword instead of a historical one for the main character, the half tori gate inspired by the monument for nuclear bombing, that is all stuff that might not be as easy to recognize, but could have been avoided by the designer doing minimum work like the above mentioned google search.

Only for things like them using something that looks like a sepukku assistance as a fatal in combat maneuver, you would need an expert to know that it is actually really offensive, not just a bit silly.
-----------
On the whole , so far only promotional material and trailers exist. The actual game is not even out and trailers should be fine tuned for publicity. We have seen so little and so much of it is wrong.

And no, that is all independend of the disputed samurai-ness of Jasuke, that fake researcher scandal or how some people are hung up on his proclaimed bisexuality.

Last edited: