Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Oh my god they're doubling down instead of releasing even just a single game.
At this rate I can't even blame them anymore, when people are literally throwing tens of thousands of dollars at them for Internet spaceships that they can't even fly in a game that isn't finished and won't be for a very long time, if ever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At this rate I can't even blame them anymore, when people are literally throwing tens of thousands of dollars at them for Internet spaceships that they can't even fly in a game that isn't finished and won't be for a very long time, if ever.
I do blame them considering how much they are part of the hype problem. They keep extending and and stretching goals with no end in sight. Constantly promising these delusional idiots the Sun, the Moon, the Earth, and the entire universe.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

For context, Franz Bouma is the creator of Universal Unreal Engine Unlocker and numerous photo mode mods for various games that don't have one (or for some that do, a plain superior photo mode). Maybe not the biggest news, but something that drew my attention and light ire as someone who enjoy screenshotting, and who has used several of his tools (which are excellent btw).

Also, you know, developers/publishers railing against mods always goes over so well.
Crytek jumping on the fading dev bandwagon and being stingy while trying to stay relevant, because it’s always such a winning combo!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

For context, Franz Bouma is the creator of Universal Unreal Engine Unlocker and numerous photo mode mods for various games that don't have one (or for some that do, a plain superior photo mode). Maybe not the biggest news, but something that drew my attention and light ire as someone who enjoy screenshotting, and who has used several of his tools (which are excellent btw).

Also, you know, developers/publishers railing against mods always goes over so well.
Seriously Crytek, what the hell? Why are you even trying to do this? I know all you do is make and license engines now, but don't ruin it for people and yourselves. You still have goodwill left; you're screwing it up.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Crytek jumping on the fading dev bandwagon and being stingy while trying to stay relevant, because it’s always such a winning combo!
Seriously Crytek, what the hell? Why are you even trying to do this? I know all you do is make and license engines now, but don't ruin it for people and yourselves. You still have goodwill left; you're screwing it up.
Of course the best, most ironic part is that Crytek is best known for making graphically impressive games, yet have objections to someone making tools that are all about enjoying and showing off that visual fidelity.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of course the best, most ironic part is that Crytek is best known for making graphically impressive games, yet have objections to someone making tools that are all about enjoying and showing off that visual fidelity.
That's what is infuriating! Why start now?! They clearly didn't have a problem with people modding the original Far Cry & Crysis over the years. Crysis 2 & 3 less so, but people still modded them before the remasters. Mainly for even more visual fidelity. It's like they want to crash and burn.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Even more ironic, they never seemed to have a problem with it when Crysis was PC exclusive and graphically modded to hell and back. I guess now they can’t let themselves be upstaged by home brewers, because that would look bad!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Oh my god they're doubling down instead of releasing even just a single game.
Why Release a game for $ when you can release nothing but hype for lots of $$$$$$$$$? It's despicable but apparently very effective.

And no, I haven't nor plan to give CIG a cent.

I do blame them considering how much they are part of the hype problem. They keep extending and and stretching goals with no end in sight. Constantly promising these delusional idiots the Sun, the Moon, the Earth, and the entire universe.
I didn't realize you could build a whale based economy but SC has proved me wrong.

What really gets me is something nobody seems to be talking about. What kind of Graphics Rig are you going to need to play SC at any sort of decent performance? Because if it's anything close to a 30XX type card that's going to put a very hard cap on how many people can even play the damn game IF it ever comes out.

Oh, never mind, by the time it releases, 30XX might be attainable because 60XX or later will be the new hotness.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The ESA is so full of shit. Stop sniffing your money you shit heads, and start thinking about legacy.

So? I won't be playing most of these.
Far: Changing Tides and Triangle Strategy are the only games on that list I'm remotely interested in. I imagine that the games I remember most this year(other then Elden Ring and such) are going to be some games that either come out of nowhere or something from a couple years back that I missed and got around to playing now. Aside from a couple games that are safe choices like BOTW, GOW 2018 and Dark Souls 3, it was games like Katana Zero, Blasphemous, and Heaven's vault that caught my attention in 2021.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's what is infuriating! Why start now?! They clearly didn't have a problem with people modding the original Far Cry & Crysis over the years. Crysis 2 & 3 less so, but people still modded them before the remasters. Mainly for even more visual fidelity. It's like they want to crash and burn.
The cease and desist letter came from Crytek's PR manager, which goes a long way towards explaining the cluelessness, since those always seem to be the least in touch with the community/consumer (save for perhaps CEO's).
Even more ironic, they never seemed to have a problem with it when Crysis was PC exclusive and graphically modded to hell and back. I guess now they can’t let themselves be upstaged by home brewers, because that would look bad!
Bouma's mods are all for pc, so not really homebrew. While I don't know if any of the Cryses have a photo mode, but I'm willing to bet Bouma's has both more features and less restrictions, so perhaps the upstaging ire still applies.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The ESA is so full of shit. Stop sniffing your money you shit heads, and start thinking about legacy.

So? I won't be playing most of these.
I think the only March game i am invested in is the Final Fantasy / Darks Souls game.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The thing is that they want it done on their terms- someone else might show the cracks in the façade.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I bet the developers of Elite Dangerous (FDC) and the X series (Egosoft) are kicking themselves for making actual games instead of doing this.
Not to mention No Man's Sky, who were rightfully pilloried for the hype build up and under delivery(even if they did eventually build it up into something like what they promised).

CIG just realized "You can't disappoint anyone if you never deliver anything", or at least not enough to cut off the money spouts.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
CIG just realized "You can't disappoint anyone if you never deliver anything", or at least not enough to cut off the money spouts.
"The money pit is looking a bit low, release another $300 ship model and make a promo ad for it. Details? Shit, just make something up and we'll shoehorn it into a later Alpha version."

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
"The money pit is looking a bit low, release another $300 ship model and make a promo ad for it. Details? Shit, just make something up and we'll shoehorn it into a later Alpha version."
I wish I could draw ships and sell them for $$$$ because "someday you'll be able to fly them"

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Ahh yes, it's the gift that just keeps on giving.

Honestly, if the EA/DICE had more open communication with the playerbase, this probably wouldn't urk me much. Because that would at least show they are listening. But no, this is EA were talking about

AAANNNNDDDDD Do I hear one more?!

EDIT:
I just realized, they cut support and development for both BFV and Battlefront 2 for this. In just few short years, they managed to ruin two franchises at the same time.