General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get a PS5. It's called PS4."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get a PS5. It's called PS4."
You fucking better, Sony.

Cut it out with that "loss generation" crap.

So many people should sue Razer. I don't know why people believed them either.

Best Buy is out of them now.

Two things I don't like making a crossover no on was asking for.

Be careful of what you wish for. I know it suck, but why are Xbox players surprised about this?

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hmmm
That's a load of crap. Sorry Days Gone fans, but one game did better and the other didn't do as well. Both games lived and died by their own merits. There was no "robbing" in place. Sooner you all get this dumb mentality out of your head, the better. I know it sucks, but this is what you want from the industry, then that's what you get.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Days was a fine game, but really nothing special. It's nothing like zombie game are rare and the only unique thing about it was that it stared a biker dude. Not exactly going to set the world on fire.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The article that alerted me to it said it was taking cues from Zelda 2 and Castlevania 2. I might pick it up at some point but I'll probably be deep in Elden Ring after feburary.

Besides, I still have a number of other Metriodvanias/Castlevania/metriod games to play through that I already own.
Have you played Phoenotopia: Awakening? Very good Zelda 2 like game.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I have not. I'll look into it.
It's well worth your time. There's... It's hard for me to give a summary of it without the risk of me giving you the wrong idea. It's very much an adventure game. I think the easiest description is imagine Ocarina of Time if it was made in a 2D perspective aside from the over world. So yeah, it's basically if Zelda 2 had been iterated on rather than abandoned.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It's well worth your time. There's... It's hard for me to give a summary of it without the risk of me giving you the wrong idea. It's very much an adventure game. I think the easiest description is imagine Ocarina of Time if it was made in a 2D perspective aside from the over world. So yeah, it's basically if Zelda 2 had been iterated on rather than abandoned.
Zelda 2 is one of those games I like in theory and ambition but it suffered somewhat in execution, so a game that tries to improve on it sounds interesting

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Zelda 2 is one of those games I like in theory and ambition but it suffered somewhat in execution, so a game that tries to improve on it sounds interesting
It’s really odd how often NES games struggled getting a good sequel. Let’s see, there’s
Castlevania 2
Final Fantasy 2
Super Mario Bros 2
Zelda 2
…I’m sure there’s a few others but those certainly stand out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It’s really odd how often NES games struggled getting a good sequel. Let’s see, there’s
Castlevania 2
Final Fantasy 2
Super Mario Bros 2
Zelda 2
…I’m sure there’s a few others but those certainly stand out.
The Japanese had a habit of doing this in general when starting out. Look at Street Fighter. The third game in the series is a prequel called Street Fighter Alpha/0. We didn't get Street Fighter 3 until 1998. Not to mention the habit of making the third game be a prequel to be canonically as far as possible from the second game. Capcom had this with their Devil May Cry games, until they retcon things again to make each game, aside from 3, take place after the other. 3 manga->3->1->Anime->Novel#2->2->4->5. That is the chronological order of the series.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

Ahh yes, it's the gift that just keeps on giving.

Honestly, if the EA/DICE had more open communication with the playerbase, this probably wouldn't urk me much. Because that would at least show they are listening. But no, this is EA were talking about

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
The servers for the 360 versions of Halo 3, Reach, 4, etc get switched off today.

Obviously this isn't really going to impact many people because all of these games are survived by Xbox One ports of the same games, but this is still pretty sad for me personally, as I spent countless hours playing these games with friends back when I was at school in the late 2000's, early 2010's.

Halo 3's multiplayer lobby has a little map, with tiny specks of light which supposedly show how many people are logged in, and from where.

Today, that little map, goes dark for good.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Oh my god they're doubling down instead of releasing even just a single game.

Star Citizen developer Cloud Imperium Games has laid out some ambitious plans for its next five years, following its recent announcement it would drastically increase its UK studio capacity over the same timeframe.

In November, CIG revealed its plan to open an enormous new studio in Manchester, which would grow the company's current 400-person team to 1000 by 2026.

Speaking in an interview with MCV magazine, chief operating officer Carl Jones said that, by that time, he expected the company to be in development on multiple sequels to Squadron 42, the long-awaited and much-delayed single-player story adventure featuring Hollywood stars.

"By that time we'll be developing the sequel and sequels for Squadron 42," Jones said.

As for when the first Squadron 42 game would launch, Jones was less clear. CIG boss Chris Roberts has relocated to the UK for the time being to aid its development, Jones said, but "it could be one or two years more."

Squadron 42 is currently seven years behind its original delivery target.

And what of Star Citizen, by that time? Word on milestones and new features was thin on the ground, but Jones said he expected the game's lengthy but continually lucrative development to mean CIG would hire even further.

"I think by that time we'll be operating a very large MMORPG," Jones said of Star Citizen in 2026. "So there'll be a lot more publishing resources, a lot more game masters, more player support. That may require us to open facilities in other locations.

"At the moment we don't have any major Asia Pacific presence and that's probably something that will have to come in the long run, because if your game explodes over there, then you really need to start building up teams to service that."

The expectation CIG would expand its current team in Frankfurt - doubling its size there - was also mentioned.

As of mid-November, Star Citizen had passed the $400m funding mark, with money coming in from more than 3.3 million backers.

In September, The Advertising Standards Authority told CIG to make it clearer that for sale "concept ships" are not yet available in the game.
I eagerly await their foray into the NFT market some time around the first half of this year.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

For context, Franz Bouma is the creator of Universal Unreal Engine Unlocker and numerous photo mode mods for various games that don't have one (or for some that do, a plain superior photo mode). Maybe not the biggest news, but something that drew my attention and light ire as someone who enjoy screenshotting, and who has used several of his tools (which are excellent btw).

Also, you know, developers/publishers railing against mods always goes over so well.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Halo 3's multiplayer lobby has a little map, with tiny specks of light which supposedly show how many people are logged in, and from where.

Today, that little map, goes dark for good.
"The lamps are going out all over Eu...the world. We shall not see them lit again in our life-time."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh my god they're doubling down instead of releasing even just a single game.
NFTs aside, this has got to be gaming's longest pyramid scheme. These assholes are never gonna be finished. I am so glad I never dropped any money in to this game. I don't why these suckers still bother waiting for this "game" to come out.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa