General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I never saw this coming. Sucks they can't recreate the 6 player version, but I understand. Can we get The Simpsons, Crime Fighter 2/Vendetta, Violent Storm, and Metamoprhic Force next? Oh is that too much for "Fuck You!", Konami? In addition, can we get the Japanese Rom of each game as a bonus, since most of these counterparts are easier or have better gameplay than their Western counterparts.

New TimeSplitters game!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
My understanding is that the rights for the game are a complete mess and it's more or less impossible for that game to be rereleased anywhere. It's a pity- it was one of the better four-player beat-em-ups that ever hit the arcades, despite the seemingly-unsuitable license.
Man, that's one of the few beat-em ups I remember beating multiple times in the arcade back in my youth.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My understanding is that the rights for the game are a complete mess and it's more or less impossible for that game to be rereleased anywhere.
How and why? Fox and Matt Groening own rights to the show, and Konami only collaberated with them at the time and no one else as far as Simpson related things go. That's literal infinite money! For Fox, Matt, 1UP, and Konami!

It's a pity- it was one of the better four-player beat-em-ups that ever hit the arcades, despite the seemingly-unsuitable license.
It's good, but there are better 4 player brawlers that surpassed it in terms of gamepay. The Japanese version of Simpsons Arcade is better due to the fact that's it is not as absurdly difficult. Still hard, but a bit easier. I feel TMNT/Turtles in Time, Vendetta, Captain Commando, Metamorphic Force (as long as you're playing the Japanese version) and Ninja Baseball Batman (almost no one knew it existed until the Internet) took it further with 4 players.The Simpsons is definitely more memorable, because no one was expecting their first game to be a brawler. The show had only barely reached its second season at the time.

What I do love about the Konami brawlers are all the details and interacting with the environment or hazards. That's the advantage Konami has over most Capcom brawlers, the extra details they did not have to do, but chose to do so out of passion. I still have fond memories of The Simpsons arcade with my older brother, class mates, and friends.

Man, that's one of the few beat-em ups I remember beating multiple times in the arcade back in my youth.
Same.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So I don't know if this counts as gaming news per se, but anyway apparently Portal is getting a film adaptation and I don't want to make a dedicated thread just for this.

Did anyone know about this? Because i sure didn't.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm on Board with JJ headlining it and I'm not even convinced this can be made into a good film, so......I don't know.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did anyone know about this? Because i sure didn't.
The Portal movie got announced back all the way in 2010. I forgot they were still trying to get it off the ground. I see no point in this. Portal came and went. Valve ain't making a third game, and I don't see what else the movie can add.

Now, I'm not sure if I'm on Board with JJ headlining it and I'm not even convinced this can be made into a good film, so......I don't know.
What little motivation I had to watch, just took a shit out the plane window, and jumped with the shit in to a spiky canyon to end its existence. I wish Hollywood would stop giving him projects.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
How and why?
From what I had read, Acclaim was all tangled up in general Simpsons game rights, but it looks like the game came out on PSN and XBlah late in 2012 (and was later pulled from PSN in 2013) so really I'm not as sure as I thought I was. I'd still bet money that Konami is screwing things up somehow, since apparently they now hate money only slightly less than they hate gamers.

What little motivation I had to watch, just took a shit out the plane window, and jumped with the shit in to a spiky canyon to end its existence. I wish Hollywood would stop giving him projects.
Hey, somebody has to keep lens-flare technicians employed!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The Portal movie got announced back all the way in 2010. I forgot they were still trying to get it off the ground. I see no point in this. Portal came and went. Valve ain't making a third game, and I don't see what else the movie can add.
Holy crap. I mean, I'm aware of some projects that have been sitting in dev hell forever but that one slipped by me. Then again, if I haven't heard something for a couple years I usually assume the project just died of neglect or something.

But hey, we still have the MGS movie.....HAHAHA....who am I kidding.....that movie is never gonna happen either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Holy crap. I mean, I'm aware of some projects that have been sitting in dev hell forever but that one slipped by me. Then again, if I haven't heard something for a couple years I usually assume the project just died of neglect or something.

But hey, we still have the MGS movie.....HAHAHA....who am I kidding.....that movie is never gonna happen either.
At least you got Captain America: Winter Soldier. That's as close as you ever going to get to a Metal Gear Solid movie.

Pfffhhhh! I just remembered that Capcom announced a movie based off the Devil May Cry reboot back in 2012. That certainly went nowhere..... hahahaha!

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
At least you got Captain America: Winter Soldier. That's as close as you ever going to get to a Metal Gear Solid movie.

Pfffhhhh! I just remembered that Capcom announced a movie based off the Devil May Cry reboot back in 2012. That certainly went nowhere..... hahahaha!
Who knows. It could happen though it might be Netfix at this point. Since Netflix has decided to go hard into videogame series since Castlvania scored. I mean, they're doing Assassins Creed, and Resident evil and Cuphead and.....oh. https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/video-game-adaptation-movies-series-coming-to-netflix/

Apparently Netflix wants to do DMC as well, so...that's a thing. Honestly the only one of these that might be good is Cuphead. The others will probably end up being awful to some degree or another, assuming half of them don't get canceled mid development.

Also, I never really thought of it but Winter Soldier does seem like a Metal Gear Solid Movie in all but name.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Who knows. It could happen though it might be Netfix at this point. Since Netflix has decided to go hard into videogame series since Castlvania scored. I mean, they're doing Assassins Creed, and Resident evil and Cuphead and.....oh. https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/coming-soon/video-game-adaptation-movies-series-coming-to-netflix/

Apparently Netflix wants to do DMC as well, so...that's a thing. Honestly the only one of these that might be good is Cuphead. The others will probably end up being awful to some degree or another, assuming half of them don't get canceled mid development.

Also, I never really thought of it but Winter Soldier does seem like a Metal Gear Solid Movie in all but name.
I alread know about Netflix wanting to do a Devil May Cry animated series. That's fine by me, because it's based off the classic continuity. I also know they want to do a crossover with a Castlevania TV series, since it's going to be the same production team. I was more so mocking the fact that Capcom was trying to do a movie based off the 2013 reboot, DmC, that never went anywhere. They were planning on making three movies with that mind you. Three movies based off the reboot continuity no one asked for.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Cool, definitely feel that game is better than it got credit for when it came out. It had the bad luck of not looking like anything more than a bog standard zombie survival sandbox, at a time when the market was saturated with them. Still disagree with the devs "buy it at full price" line, but I'm glad it's getting a second wind so to speak.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Does this mean we're gonna get all the uncharted games?

And possibly....dare I say it.....BloodBorne?
They’d be foolish to not also release the Nathan Drake Collection. Bloodborne on PC is a thing of myth though. There just so happened to be a super flower blood moon last night, and within it lied the collective anguish of millions caused by its absence on the platform. Maybe upon the eve of the next one, the platform prophecy will have been fulfilled and we can rejoice in a 60fps and 4K visual feast of beast hunting.