Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I thought the PS2 GTA’s already had remasters, but I guess Unreal Engine means they will be more than resolution upgrades. Though the RDR one would be something I’d pick up, probably on PC. Just hope if that’s also with UE they’d be able to keep Euphoria physics as that was a vital component that made it so good.

Also IGN mentioned the point this might’ve been why they were doing the DMCA takedowns of fan remasters a while back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know about the GTA remasters, and then coming to switch to, but I have no interest. Have fun for those that do.

Here's Amazon still screwing up when it comes to the game design and treating its game developers.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

I thought the PS2 GTA’s already had remasters, but I guess Unreal Engine means they will be more than resolution upgrades. Though the RDR one would be something I’d pick up, probably on PC. Just hope if that’s also with UE they’d be able to keep Euphoria physics as that was a vital component that made it so good.

Also IGN mentioned the point this might’ve been why they were doing the DMCA takedowns of fan remasters a while back.

Especially since RDR is kind of a pain to play unless you emulate or have a working PS3.

Ok, apparently it was on Xbox 360 as well. So if you have one of the Xboxs you're set but would love to have it on PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

I used to enter NewEgg Product shuffle all the time before finally winning a MSI 3080 + 16 GB RAM combo. I saw Gigabyte stuff all the time, and was worried about winning one. I was desperate for a 30-series GPU, but at the same time I didn't want a bundle with parts that had high failure rates

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

There goes my reason to get an NES Classic.

River City Girls gets a PS5 port now.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

FFS Nintendo. Honestly what the hell good are $50 monthly payments against a $2,100,000 judgment anyways. Even without interest that’ll take 3,500 years to pony up.

Meanwhile the Switch will be getting a $50 price hike in October for a better screen, which will only be costing Nintendo about 20% of that. Sure, they make good stuff n all, but how they continue to defy traditional economics in this industry defies logic.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Charging money for other people's stuff will get you every time.

Pretending $50 is gonna go toward a $2,000,000 settlement is farcical, but they aren't getting a $2,000,000 lump sum either. They'll probably quietly drop it in a decade or so

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Yes. It is gaming news and I highly appreciate it. You have nothing to fear.
Never considered "Auterism" to be a symptom/feature of this whole issue of "Male Dominated industry"

And I'm not writing this off mind you. I'm curious to know what others think.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, the napkin math makes sense: auteurs are notoriously difficult for *anybody* to work with, and if you have a male dominated industry it's going to elevate male auteurs, etc, etc, snowballing modifiers.

I'm not saying female auteurs don't exist, but society in general and video games in particular are hostile to the idea to the point that I genuinely cannot think of a real world example. (Or I'm just poorly read)

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Never considered "Auterism" to be a symptom/feature of this whole issue of "Male Dominated industry"

That's why I never fell too hard into the auetuer trap. All these games have to have a team of many people to make their craft work. As much as I love Hideki Kamiya, even he doesn't consider himself some type of auetuer. Even Shinji Mikami did not consider himself an auetuer. He hated being called the father of survival horror.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I've already probably mentioned this in the Activision thread, but Insomniac Games are on my shit list too now

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The tone of the article makes it sound like the gaming industry is simply an easier target for all this kind of criticism because it is still young and immature. Like the comparison of videogame auteurs falling short of those in film is meant as a contrast, but it’s one that I don’t agree with, because it contradicts the author’s whole point of the article in the first place. He makes it sound like a film director deserves their auteur status, but fails to acknowledge that it also takes a village to get a movie like The Shining or any of Kubrick’s others made, regardless of the gulf of technical details between the two mediums.

The visionary aspect taking center stage is largely the same, but there are still plenty of surrounding key players in the development process. I’d even say that games have the upper hand. There are quite a few peripheral voices in the form of VA’s and various art/tech leaders sharing knowledge through dev diaries, GDC presentations, etc. and they are often women.

Another thing is the movie industry’s AAA equivalent (Hollywood) had only gone through its own house cleaning of creepers a few years earlier, and its status as a well-regarded medium of the arts is not an excuse; in fact it only made the abuse easier to veil for far too long. It will take time but with enough ethically driven nudges the gaming industry will be on better footing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan