General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So Avowed is... a thing. I mean it doesn't look bad, but it just doesn't feel like an Obsidian game. It looks more like an action game rather than a narrative-driven experience. I see NPCs and dialog choices and everything, but it doesn't feel on the near level as their past works

Senua's Saga looks decent, but from the description it looks like it will more or less be the same as the first game, just in a larger scale.

Visions of Mana sounds promising

ARA? Really? I mean the game looks fun, but why name a game like that?

So... Indiana Jones game. The face model looks accurate enough to Harrison Ford. Sounds a lot like him too. (EDIT: It's Troy Baker) But why the first-person view? Is it because Machine Games' experience with the Wolfenstein games? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it as a third-person view? Granted it has some third-person moments, but it looks like you are stuck with first-person view for most of the time. Otherwise, it actually looks really fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
... Indiana Jones game. The face model looks accurate enough to Harrison Ford. Sounds a lot like him too. But why the first-person view? Is it because Machine Games' experience with the Wolfenstein games? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it as a third-person view? Granted it has some third-person moments, but it looks like you are stuck with first-person view for most of the time. Otherwise, it actually looks really fun.
IMMERZAIN!!!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So Avowed is... a thing. I mean it doesn't look bad, but it just doesn't feel like an Obsidian game. It looks more like an action game rather than a narrative-driven experience. I see NPCs and dialog choices and everything, but it doesn't feel on the near level as their past works

Senua's Saga looks decent, but from the description it looks like it will more or less be the same as the first game, just in a larger scale.

Visions of Mana sounds promising

ARA? Really? I mean the game looks fun, but why name a game like that?

So... Indiana Jones game. The face model looks accurate enough to Harrison Ford. Sounds a lot like him too. But why the first-person view? Is it because Machine Games' experience with the Wolfenstein games? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it as a third-person view? Granted it has some third-person moments, but it looks like you are stuck with first-person view for most of the time. Otherwise, it actually looks really fun.
All I got from that showcase was Hellblade finally got a release date. And then maybe a couple other games might happen this year maybe.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It used to be that this would be because a studio wanted to try something new and different. These days, it usually means that some corporate suit read some three-years-out-of-date report of "what's big with the kids" and told the studio "do that".

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
"oopsie, did we drop another intrusive ad into our full price products again? How clumsy of us silly ol' smol beans... we super duper pinky promise to never do it again!"

Xbox owners have once again hit back at Microsoft for "very disappointing" advertisements.

This time, the full-screen advertisements – which players currently cannot opt-out from – were to raise awareness about last week's Developer Direct showcase.

"The Xbox consoles are not and never were advertised or sold as a subsidised device, but the ads are sure making it feel like one," posted one irate player. "This feels akin to getting an Amazon Kindle at a discount because its ad supported.

"If you defend this, I won't ever understand why you do. If you are apathetic to it, I completely understand you and if you're disappointed by it, I'm with you."

Okay...*sigh*

We're gonna do this again I suppose.

The Xbox consoles are not and never were advertised or sold as a subsidized device, but the ads are sure making it feel like one.

This feels akin to getting an Amazon Kindle at a discount because its ad supported.

Xbox… pic.twitter.com/FzPzPwjkXe
— K-Med (@K__Med) January 19, 2024
The Verge's Tom Warren similarly posted a picture of the intrusive advertisement, saying: "The fullscreen Xbox pop-up ad has returned for the Developer Direct. I just turned on my console and got this one."

the fullscreen Xbox pop-up ad has returned for the Developer_Direct. I just turned on my console and got this one https://t.co/6n80uHgcgA pic.twitter.com/pdLFD2S7x4
— Tom Warren (@tomwarren) January 19, 2024
ANOTHER full screen ad before getting to the dashboard. I guess this is the new thing now on Xbox. @Xbox very disappointing. pic.twitter.com/zm22SHKd0l
— GremlinLord615 (@GremlinLord615) January 18, 2024
"ANOTHER full screen ad before getting to the dashboard," posted another player (thanks, ComicBook). "I guess this is the new thing now on Xbox. Xbox very disappointing."

"I don't mind ads for events about their games, not everybody is on social media and it reminds people where to watch it if they are interested," opined one less irritated player. "They're also easy to dismiss by pressing B.

"What I really don't like about this ad is it's burning my eyes with how white it is."

Players are now calling for a means of disabling full-screen adverts, or maybe even advertising altogether, as smaller, arguably less intrusive adverts have been appearing on Xbox dashboards for over a decade now.

This isn't the first time players have hit out at Xbox advertisements, either. Back in November, Activision and Xbox released full-screen ads for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 on the console's homepage, which were also heavily criticised at the time.
Really not wanting this crap to catch on with other platforms, but MS seem determined to keep pushing with the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" philosophy till one eventually receives less pushback, so then they can double down from that incision point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"oopsie, did we drop another intrusive ad into our full price products again? How clumsy of us silly ol' smol beans... we super duper pinky promise to never do it again!"

Really not wanting this crap to catch on with other platforms, but MS seem determined to keep pushing with the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" philosophy till one eventually receives less pushback, so then they can double down from that incision point.
If I do get a Series X, it's only to play 360 and OG XBOX games. I have a ONE X, so it's not even needed at all.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
I wonder if they'll fix that comically unfair mecha duel with Axle on the SNES version of Sparkster. I could never tell if that was a bug in the difficulty setting, a somehow unnoticed difficulty spike, or an attempt to discourage renting.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I wonder if they'll fix that comically unfair mecha duel with Axle on the SNES version of Sparkster. I could never tell if that was a bug in the difficulty setting, a somehow unnoticed difficulty spike, or an attempt to discourage renting.
While still unofficially confirmed, there's the theory or rumor that both versions of sparkster were rushed out to development. The Sega Genesis version even more so. The Super Nintendo version feels more finished by comparison, but similar to the Sega Genesis version, there are weird or odd difficulty spikes that Rico something that wasn't play tested.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States

Gotta love that saying. Maybe those perpetrators should kindly just fuck off with any forgiveness plea since they should’ve known better than to try screwing with people in the first place.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

Because making death threats has worked SO WELL in any industry! /s
On one hand, I remember when "the gamers" were making death threats over a change in the refire rate of a pretend sniper rifle. On the other hand, I remember the whole Unity thing, where the "death threats" were coming from inside the house place of business.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of course, those same industry leaders will not face any real consequences for the shitshow they created.

Anyway, also bad for players. Possibly less games overall and what games do release be generally safer and more predatory.
And another reason why I am mostly sticking with indie and smaller budget games. I do feel bad for those losing their jobs, because leaders are tired of investing with games. So why did you dipshits ever invest in the first place and dip because you're not making all the money in the universe?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
And another reason why I am mostly sticking with indie and smaller budget games. I do feel bad for those losing their jobs, because leaders are tired of investing with games. So why did you dipshits ever invest in the first place and dip because you're not making all the money in the universe?
The bad news is that this is not limited to AAA. A lot of AA devs are struggling just the same, and the number of indies getting funded has apparently dropped significantly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The bad news is that this is not limited to AAA. A lot of AA devs are struggling just the same, and the number of indies getting funded has apparently dropped significantly.
Crap. You wish for the best for the smaller guys and gals. I'll support whoever I can. This sure as hell ain't over.