General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Huh, a feature-length animated Transformer movie. I don’t think we had those for a while.

Looks fine, except it looks like this isn’t the origin story and we are familiar with? IIRC Megatron already was a gladiator/military bot, and Bumblebee didn’t meet Optimus until the war began.

I wonder if we’ll even see Megatron turning evil given the movie’s tone?
Oh look, it's undercutting comedy movie #846.

Victim of the writers strike or just Hollywood being Hollywood.
I'm liking this. I'm all in! Transformers needs a new shot in the arm anyway and I am not complaining! It's not ashamed of what it is, and it's not trying to be Bay. I do like Bumblebee and Rise of the beast as well, but I don't mind a new animated theatrical release.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm liking this. I'm all in! Transformers needs a new shot in the arm anyway and I am not complaining! It's not ashamed of what it is, and it's not trying to be Bay. I do like Bumblebee and Rise of the beast as well, but I don't mind a new animated theatrical release.
Beyond the typically American 'let's not have any reverence and punctuate everything with a raised eyebrow' attitude, which already makes me shrivel up, the humor is so telegraphed it could land a plane.

So that's already a huge foul for me.

Then there's the 'before he was Optimus Prime'. Do we really care? Is it really necessary to make an entire movie building up to him becoming Optimus Prime when they could've just made a movie where he's Prime from the start? Were we really clammoring for a Transformers backstory - something which could be achieved in a 2 minute flashback?

I'm just seeing this movie taking the worst influence from Spider-Verse and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also bonus points for awkward sounding celebrity voice performances.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Beyond the typically American 'let's not have any reverence and punctuate everything with a raised eyebrow' attitude, which already makes me shrivel up, the humor is so telegraphed it could land a plane.

So that's already a huge foul for me.

Then there's the 'before he was Optimus Prime'. Do we really care? Is it really necessary to make an entire movie building up to him becoming Optimus Prime when they could've just made a movie where he's Prime from the start? Were we really clammoring for a Transformers backstory - something which could be achieved in a 2 minute flashback?

I'm just seeing this movie taking the worst influence from Spider-Verse and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also bonus points for awkward sounding celebrity voice performances.
The trailer may not be to your liking, but I'm still interested. I'm not going to always be super harsh on this stuff. I'm giving it a chance and I'm not going to judge it on the trailer alone. Otherwise I like the art style and I don't mind what they're doing. I know it's not going to be that everyone's taste, but we are not the target audience. And I know you want better for the kids, but they already are getting better stuff. I hope Transformer One it'll be a great movie, and I know it will if you can't get it any lower than the Bayormer movies. I'm not grading on a curve either. You do as you wish.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Yes, we're finally free from live-action and human character elements, and I am excited to see an actual animated movie. IIRC, I think the last major one was back in 1986?

I don't mind origin stories. We all know who they were before Optimus Prime and Megatron, but do we know what they were like? I think it's rather nice to explore more of their origins rather than the brief flashbacks. Given this movie seems to aim for younger audiences, I wonder how deep they are gonna get with Orion Pax and D-16 slowly drifting apart in their moral views? Because it seems there will be glimpses of what they eventually become and D-16 already showing wanting for something more.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I mean, the real reason is probably that Idris Elba and Knuckles' cgi are too expensive, but I like to believe it's so all the other characters can ask "Where's Knuckles" in any scene he's not in.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
The current most popular search in youtube is not Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer, but "Deadpool & Wolverine Trailer Reaction"

View attachment 11037
Not shocked
Well, we humans are social animals. "Knowing" that the trailer exists doesn't do much for me. But being in a para-social weird relationship to a charismatic person and we watch the trailer "together" helps alleviate the perceived loneliness.

Also: Going to a concert/festival, cinema etc. is often better than watching/listening to it at home (Even if at home you fully control all aspects and have higher quality).

I really find the "reactions" and "Let's plays" fascinating as a concept.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, we humans are social animals. "Knowing" that the trailer exists doesn't do much for me. But being in a para-social weird relationship to a charismatic person and we watch the trailer "together" helps alleviate the perceived loneliness.

Also: Going to a concert/festival, cinema etc. is often better than watching/listening to it at home (Even if at home you fully control all aspects and have higher quality).

I really find the "reactions" and "Let's plays" fascinating as a concept.
I don't have a problem with any of that, so long as the reactor/Lper is not a total asshole nor biatch. There are several LPers I subscribed to for years. I'm just not shocked that reactors have more views than the trailers themselves. This has been a thing since the mid 2010s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piscian

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, the real reason is probably that Idris Elba and Knuckles' cgi are too expensive, but I like to believe it's so all the other characters can ask "Where's Knuckles" in any scene he's not in.
They had one simple job.....

Nothing against Wade or whatever the comic relief cop is called, but I don't need to see more of him. I'm here for a Knuckles!

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bad ass! I'm in! I don't mind a Titanfall: The Movie, but it's not the official movie. Plus, it's nice seeing Ms. Lopez again!