General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States

The first fan-edit of obi-wan is being released. Its kind of amusing because out of any of the disney shows this one is universally agreed to need slimming. At least thats been a particularly notable issue. Most agree regardless of its other issues, Obi-wan did not have enough to say to justify 6 episodes and started out as a 2 hour anyway. Unfortunately the editor is kind of a chud, excitedly adding that awful duel of the fates song to the final battle between Obi-wan and Vader. (Songs fine Im just tired of hearing it.).

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Page is like 5 feet... I don't mind the guy but can we please have a moderately comic book accurate Flash for once? Even Grant Gustin couldn't be bothered to dye his hair blonde. Hell fuck Barry Allen, let's have red haired Wally West (but that'll never happen, because apparently now he is required to be black in live action).

Also, if the call to cast Page is coming from the notion that they somewhat look alike and so the recast won't be so jarring, fuck that. This role doesn't just need to be recast, it needs to be taken out back and sent to the farm upstate.

If DC were to completely reboot their movies with an all new cast right now, literally nothing would be lost. And I don't even dislike the DCEU, it's just that there's pretty much nothing in it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If DC were to completely reboot their movies with an all new cast right now, literally nothing would be lost. And I don't even dislike the DCEU, it's just that there's pretty much nothing in it.
People kinda like Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Not so sure on the character, myself, and can't think of anything else worth keeping.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And I don't even dislike the DCEU, it's just that there's pretty much nothing in it.
Wonder Woman, Aqua Man, The Suicide Squad, Peacmaker, and Black Adam soon. The DCEU has more going on than the MCU right now. Disney is rushing most of their products out by the dozen. Give your work some time people!

People kinda like love Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Not so sure on the character, myself, and can't think of anything else worth keeping.
Better. I will admit that the DCEU version of Harley pretty much completed her personal character arc in SS2, so much not left can be done with her character. Anything more would be a glorified pointless cameo, or a step backwards, if not handled properly,

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wonder Woman, Aqua Man, The Suicide Squad, Peacmaker, and Black Adam soon. The DCEU has more going on than the MCU right now. Disney is rushing most of their products out by the dozen. Give your work some time people!
I'll shit on Disney any day for what they're doing the MCU right now, but I highly disagree with the idea that WB and DC are taking their time with their movies to put in extra love and care. I'd say that the number of projects that DC has announced for the DCEU and then cancelled or delayed is roughly equal to the number that they've actually been able to put out. Sheer incompetence is what has lead The Flash to an astounding 5 year delay. The Batman? Now that is taking your time with a movie to make sure it's great. Isn't a DCEU flick though.

And anyway, my point isn't that what the DCEU currently has is bad or lacking (although personally, it definitely is), it's that seemingly none of them are connected to the other movies. I say seemingly, because I wouldn't be surprised if Shazam or Black Adam make cameos in each other's movies. But yeah, as a supposed shared universe, the DCEU is worthless in that regard. At this point, that these movies belong to the same universe means as much as bubblegum stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Occasionally noticeable but easily ignored. If for some reason the MCU ended right after Infinity War, people would have been pissed. If the DCEU ended after whatever the next movie is, I think people would be more interested in what DC can do now instead of sad for what's been lost.

People kinda like Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. Not so sure on the character, myself, and can't think of anything else worth keeping.
As someone who is pretty tired of her new position as DC's Deadpool, I'm pretty sick of her in geneal, Margot Robbie or no. But like BrawlMan said, what's the point of her continued existence in the DCEU? She's gotten over the Joker, she's gotten over getting over the Joker, and now she's even out of the suicide squad. I guess they could do her romance with Poison Ivy, but they'd be double dipping already.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I'll shit on Disney any day for what they're doing the MCU right now, but I highly disagree with the idea that WB and DC are taking their time with their movies to put in extra love and care. I'd say that the number of projects that DC has announced for the DCEU and then cancelled or delayed is roughly equal to the number that they've actually been able to put out. Sheer incompetence is what has lead The Flash to an astounding 5 year delay. The Batman? Now that is taking your time with a movie to make sure it's great. Isn't a DCEU flick though.

And anyway, my point isn't that what the DCEU currently has is bad or lacking (although personally, it definitely is), it's that seemingly none of them are connected to the other movies. I say seemingly, because I wouldn't be surprised if Shazam or Black Adam make cameos in each other's movies. But yeah, as a supposed shared universe, the DCEU is worthless in that regard. At this point, that these movies belong to the same universe means as much as bubblegum stuck to the bottom of your shoe. Occasionally noticeable but easily ignored. If for some reason the MCU ended right after Infinity War, people would have been pissed. If the DCEU ended after whatever the next movie is, I think people would be more interested in what DC can do now instead of sad for what's been lost.

As someone who is pretty tired of her new position as DC's Deadpool, I'm pretty sick of her in geneal, Margot Robbie or no. But like BrawlMan said, what's the point of her continued existence in the DCEU? She's gotten over the Joker, she's gotten over getting over the Joker, and now she's even out of the suicide squad. I guess they could do her romance with Poison Ivy, but they'd be double dipping already.
What do you mean by double dipping?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'll shit on Disney any day for what they're doing the MCU right now, but I highly disagree with the idea that WB and DC are taking their time with their movies to put in extra love and care. I'd say that the number of projects that DC has announced for the DCEU and then cancelled or delayed is roughly equal to the number that they've actually been able to put out. Sheer incompetence is what has lead The Flash to an astounding 5 year delay
I wasn't implying they don't know how to manage their time either. You are correct. That said, the DCEU was actually doing fine (for me), but did have a rough start. The Flash fiasco I'm not going to even bother with. WB are still incompetent boons. So I definitely have no sympathies for them. They knew what Miller was doing at some point.

And anyway, my point isn't that what the DCEU currently has is bad or lacking (although personally, it definitely is), it's that seemingly none of them are connected to the other movies.
They still are. There is no tangible relationship.. Shazam, Aqua Man, SS2, Shazam, and Peacemaker are proof of that.
Occasionally noticeable but easily ignored. If for some reason the MCU ended right after Infinity War, people would have been pissed.
I wouldn't. While true, it would have been one way to go out on a huge note.

If the DCEU ended after whatever the next movie is, I think people would be more interested in what DC can do now instead of sad for what's been lost.
I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of dceu fans that are willing to stick around. Be they hardcore, or just casual people.

But like BrawlMan said, what's the point of her continued existence in the DCEU? She's gotten over the Joker, she's gotten over getting over the Joker, and now she's even out of the suicide squad. I guess they could do her romance with Poison Ivy.
I highly doubt they're going to do that, but I would not mind. I am more than willing to see another live action Poison Ivy.

Reactions: Bob_McMillan

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Something different and not about a tired slasher. With Halloween as an anthology series, there could have been so much more potential. Exorcism, ghost and spirits, science fiction of all different kinds, HP Lovecraft style creatures/horror (Halloween III had some of that), werewolves and vampires, alternate dimensions, etc. Something different at least or not done too often (enough). Not every chapter had to be fantastical. There could have been some more grounded horror stories as well, but I am sick and tired of killer that is the equivalent of a super soldier with the invincibility cheat on.
Have you ever seen Trick r Treat? It certainly felt like a movie going for the kind of thing you're asking for.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Their relationship is prominently featured in the Harley Quinn cartoon, which frankly is probably a better depiction of the character.
I don't really think the relationship would work as the focus of a movie. I can see Harley legit being in love with Ivy but Ivy hates all humans and any relationships she develops are a means to an end. It always seemed like a "friends with benefits" kind of thing that they were both on board for when they weren't pursuing their main goals.

Maybe there's comic book material that implies otherwise, and again, I can see Harley truly falling for Ivy but Ivy herself seems to goal focussed to truly let herself love someone.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It always seemed like a "friends with benefits" kind of thing that they were both on board for when they weren't pursuing their main goals.

Maybe there's comic book material that implies otherwise, and again, I can see Harley truly falling for Ivy but Ivy herself seems to goal focussed to truly let herself love someone.
Funny enough, that's how their relationship started in the original animated series. Though it was still an abusive relationship. The only difference is that Ivy would be more emotionally abusive and in control. This change with later versions when they brought Harley into the comic book continuity. Around the late 2000s and now, there's practically no abuse between them. Ivy still hates humanity, but she treats Harley as the exception. That's always been there. Even before the whole hating humanity thing, that was something that came from the Animated Series. The comic series was just your typical plant themed villain at the time.