General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
That's the spirit gun in the top left. Which is about all I know from YuYu Hakusho.
Still lost on wtf that promo is for.

Anyways,

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Letting people know they're making a live-action adaption of the anime/manga, Yu Yu Hakusho. It's not that hard to figure out.
And who or what is Yu Yu Hakusho when it’s at home?

Could they try something simpler like Azumanga Daioh or something to see if they can even get a slice-of-life comedy right before launching into yet another big special effects fantasy/sci-fi holy cow after the disasters of their previous attempts?
Well, wouldn’t Azumanga Daioh just be any remotely not insipid tween/teen drama cartoon? Or on its better days, old school Degrassi?

I still say Gunsmith Cats is the way to go. Or if you’ve got real cash money to spend; Bubblegum Crisis. It’s either hot chick bounty hunters/gunsmiths in a cool car OR what if Blade Runner but also Iron Man as four hot chicks. Both concepts broadly familiar to many audiences.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It kinda is if you’ve never heard of it.
Now you know it exists. The strategy works.

And who or what is Yu Yu Hakusho when it’s at home?
Yu Yu "Motherfuckng" Hakusho! Can you dig iiitttttt?!

I still say Gunsmith Cats is the way to go. Or if you’ve got real cash money to spend; Bubblegum Crisis. It’s either hot chick bounty hunters/gunsmiths in a cool car OR what if Blade Runner but also Iron Man as four hot chicks. Both concepts broadly familiar to many audiences.
I'm being generous by suggesting they try safety scissors because I barely trust them to manage that.
I like your thinking, but I rather trust Robert Rodriguez or Issac Florentine with either IP, than Netflix. The former two are by no means bad. Both directors know exactly what they're doing whenever making a film. RR especially could make a great BC movie. Florentine would be better at making a GC movie, but he would put more fist fighting in it. Which is why he should direct the now in production, Streets of Rage movie.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
True, but someone still had to explain what it meant, because it was just a collection of unfamiliar images with no hint of a title. So really, it only works for people already familiar with it, and anyone else would have to do a reverse image lookup or something if they cared to even go that far in the first place.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I read the previous posts before, and now reading yours again I realise I've totally forgotten whatever it was it was for, so maybe not. Actually, there seems to be a lot of that around nowdays, ads I can remember, but not whatever the product was, though maybe that's just me.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I mean, yeah, If I looked up "Finger gun, rose, white cloth strips and blue....toga....robe?" I'm pretty sure google would just get confused and send me somewhere really wierd.
There’s also a site called Tineye that will search for references based on an uploaded/linked image, but results can vary.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I understand not knowing much of it but am I really on a forum of nerds that were alive during the 90's that don't even know the most tangential of things about Yu Yu Hakusho?

Edit: And I say this as someone who also hasn't ever watched Yu yu Hakusho. I've just seen it referenced or be in commercials and advertising enough to know at least surface level things.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
True, but someone still had to explain what it meant, because it was just a collection of unfamiliar images with no hint of a title. So really, it only works for people already familiar with it, and anyone else would have to do a reverse image lookup or something if they cared to even go that far in the first place.
You're right, but still gets people talking or looking up when curious. You being an example right now.

I mean, yeah, If I looked up "Finger gun, rose, white cloth strips and blue....toga....robe?" I'm pretty sure google would just get confused and send me somewhere really weird.
Even most casual anime fans know about Yusuke's iconic Spirit Gun. I know you don't know, nor watch all anime either, so I don't blame you. The guy with the blue is named Kuwabara. What he's holding is the top half of his gakuran. School uniforms for Japanese teenagers. The man holding the rose is Kurama, and the guy wearing the white cloth strip is Hiei. Now you are well acquainted.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My girlfriend is going into shock from how bad the wigs are for Yuyu Hakusho live action. I really have to wonder, would anime fans care if ridiculous anime haircuts weren't directly adapted into live action?

Reactions: BrawlMan