General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Maybe. The other possibility is that, since Cavill has officially confirmed he's returning as Superman, this creates scheduling conflicts and choices had to be made. Certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that happened, and from a career pov picking Superman is probably the surer bet, considering Netflix' diminishing prospects and mercurial habit of dropping shows out of nowhere.

Or maybe a little of column A and B.

Idk, it kinda seems like the Superman movie franchise is cursed. Not quite to the extent of any games, but even Superman Returns had better critical reception than any subsequent entries that Cavil was attached to.

I just don’t trust the DCEU can reliably put out bonafide hits like the MCU mostly has even in phase whatever it is now, especially with the way WB has been lately.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Idk, it kinda seems like the Superman movie franchise is cursed. Not quite to the extent of any games, but even Superman Returns had better critical reception than any subsequent entries that Cavil was attached to
Professional critics? Yes. Most of the general audience? No. Most people still don't look back fondly on Superman Returns, other than the blind critics and those stuck in the Christopher Reeve era.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Idk, it kinda seems like the Superman movie franchise is cursed. Not quite to the extent of any games, but even Superman Returns had better critical reception than any subsequent entries that Cavil was attached to.

I just don’t trust the DCEU can reliably put out bonafide hits like the MCU mostly has even in phase whatever it is now, especially with the way WB has been lately.
The DCEU movies Cavill was in weren't critical successes, but they did have respectable box offices, and Cavill got residuals for those on top of increasingly higher salaries. Warner no doubt had to promise him a pretty penny to return in Black Adam and beyond, and I have no reason to believe he's above taking roles just for the money. Or maybe he just likes Superman more. Or maybe it is an artistic integrity thing. Or all of the above.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The DCEU movies Cavill was in weren't critical successes, but they did have respectable box offices, and Cavill got residuals for those on top of increasingly higher salaries. Warner no doubt had to promise him a pretty penny to return in Black Adam and beyond, and I have no reason to believe he's above taking roles just for the money. Or maybe he just likes Superman more. Or maybe it is an artistic integrity thing. Or all of the above.
Apparently Dwayne has been fighting a long while to get Henry back into the fold as well -

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Here we go -

Just posted an hour ago and already has over a million views and 116k likes. Yup, it’ll probably break more records.

Also,

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If only that movie had made more money.
It did make money, but it didn't make all the money in the world. Even people who never heard of the manga, nor were anime/manga fans at that point, wanted a sequel after seeing the movie. With Disney buying Fox and all its IPs, I already knew another sequel wasn't going to happen. If it did happen, Cameron would have to heavily influence Disney.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It did make money, but it didn't make all the money in the world. Even people who never heard of the manga, nor were anime/manga fans at that point, wanted a sequel after seeing the movie. With Disney buying Fox and all its IPs, I already knew another sequel wasn't going to happen. If it did happen, Cameron would have to heavily influence Disney.
Some interesting background info -

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Here we go -

Just posted an hour ago and already has over a million views and 116k likes. Yup, it’ll probably break more records.

Also,
What’s with the weird looking bow draw in Avatar? I’ve seen it pop up in a bunch of movies, going as far back as LotR, and it always looks horribly uncomfortable and inefficient. Not to mention it doesn’t look line any of the conventional draws I’ve seen before.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
What’s with the weird looking bow draw in Avatar? I’ve seen it pop up in a bunch of movies, going as far back as LotR, and it always looks horribly uncomfortable and inefficient. Not to mention it doesn’t look line any of the conventional draws I’ve seen before.
Must be a na’vi thing, as best I can guess.