General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
DCU's new roadmap:

Gotta say, it's certainly a better roadmap than whatever DECU was supposed to be. A healthy mix of both familiar and unfamiliar heroes and villains. Still kinda sucks that we lost Henry Cavil, though
Makes total sense to me that sometime edgelord James Gunn wants to do an Authority film.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The DC plan seems overly ambitious. I also don't think its a good look for Gunn that they've thrown out pretty much every other DCEU property but kept his passion project with Suicide Squad/Peacemaker. I loved Peacemaker of course, but it still raises an eyebrow.

I'm only particularly interested in the new Batman flick and the Lanterns TV show. I've always seen the Batfamily as the single greatest strength of Batman. If Gunn can finally pull it off after the embarassment with Batman and Robin/Forever, that will be a major achievement. Green Lanterns are always fun but understandably hard to do in live action, so it should be an interesting watch. I've always preferred the "space cop" approach rather than the generic superhero approach when it comes to the Corps, so I hope they manage to do that justice.

Everything else, hmmm I could give or take. It's cool to see how much Gunn cares but I also think it's not a good idea to drive an entire cinematic universe based on the comic book preferences of a single man.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
DCU's new roadmap:

Gotta say, it's certainly a better roadmap than whatever DECU was supposed to be. A healthy mix of both familiar and unfamiliar heroes and villains. Still kinda sucks that we lost Henry Cavil, though
FUCKIN FINALLY. WBs biggest problem is that theyve always seen comicbooks as trash pulp fiction for children and the only thing that matters is getting the big names on screen to sell tickets. What I love here, if you paid attention, is that hes essentially naming his favorite books and writers. Not "Batman" but Grant Morrisons run, not green lantern, but a specific, interesting, story. You can see here and there he cares more about the stories. The fact that he wants to shine light on the DC monsters, booster gold, The Authority says hes ready to get out of this rut of Batman, Super over and over.

If anything I just feel bad that hes stuck with Flash and he had nothing to do with it, but as the runner he has to own it. Other than Shazam I kinda just want to ignore DC until his work comes out.

I also adore them finally owning Elseworlds as a branding. Im actually a huge fan of the books and I think it just gives them a huge playground. Theres several Elseworlds books Id kill to see adapted.

If nothing else at least this roadmap doesn't sound boring. I applaud them taking a swing at something new. We just have to hope WB/Discovery or whatever it is lets him work through the process. A couple of these ideas might not end up being great, but lets not pretend Disney didn't just shit out Obiwan and ms. marvel. ( Man Im surprised at how disappointed I was with ms. marvel was really looking forward to that.).

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
FUCKIN FINALLY. WBs biggest problem is that theyve always seen comicbooks as trash pulp fiction for children and the only thing that matters is getting the big names on screen to sell tickets. What I love here, if you paid attention, is that hes essentially naming his favorite books and writers.
Comics are mostly pulp and have often been trash or for children and a lot of the books he's referencing are various incarnations of that, for better and for worse. All Star Superman, for example, is fabulous, a book that makes a really strong case for a certain vision of Superman, but is also a sincere love letter to the Golden and Silver Ages in all their wild and whacky and silly glory. Conversely I think The Authority is utterly juvenile and crass and a showcase of just how bad Warren Ellis and Mark Millar could be (at least in terms of writing, Warren Ellis has done *much* worse things outside of that).

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Conversely I think The Authority is utterly juvenile and crass and a showcase of just how bad Warren Ellis and Mark Millar could be (at least in terms of writing, Warren Ellis has done *much* worse things outside of that).
I know they are both assholes, but what did Ellis do? The only thing of Millar's I like are the adaptions of the first Kick Ass and Wanted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Accused of sexually coercive behaviour, gaslighting, predatory behaviour, and/or manipulative behaviour by something like 100 different women.

And this is one of the two guys that consider superheroes dumb, bad, and any form of good is not worth while?

Get fucked you immature edge lords. I hope that he never got any more work again, or nobody lets him back in the comic book industry. I know he's not in jail, so that's the best I can wish. Otherwise, he can get stumped a thousand times in the groin. And his face can have an intimate relationship with the glass covered ground.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I didn't care before, but now that I know it's a trashpile, I kinda want to see it for myself how big of one.
How do you know it’s a trash pile? Nothing in that article sounds like a remotely convincing argument. And frankly the studio that looked at both Batman v Superman and Justice League (either version) and said “Cut, print, done” is in no position to judge quality. This sounds like horseshit damage control.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
How do you know it’s a trash pile? Nothing in that article sounds like a remotely convincing argument. And frankly the studio and looked at both Batman v Superman and Justice League (either version) and said “Cut, print, done” is in no position to judge quality. This sounds like horseshit damage control.
Yes, exactly, that's how I know. I looked at DCs output thus far, which is imo meh at best with one or two exceptions, and extrapolated from there. The result is less than favorable odds.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes, exactly, that's how I know. I looked at DCs output thus far, which is imo meh at best with one or two exceptions, and extrapolated from there. The result is less than favorable odds.
But you still don’t “know”. You’re just making a guess, based on your own aggregated opinion of DC’s output. Now you could be damn well on the money, but if that’s the case the time and place for them to explain that was at the cancellation and in detail. further if you are right then WB kind of kicks an own goal because if it was shit, then that and the ongoing fiascos with Flash indicate they have no control over their own house and arguably still don’t.

And even then, I’d liked to have seen Batgirl - and that Supergirl movie - to have made that judgement for myself.

And I still want to know how cancelling a 90million dollar film is worth a better tax write off than the alleged 200million plus spent on Flash.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, you don't know for sure, but the margin for error isn't too bad, fair enough.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...67/pokemon-detective-pikachu-2-release-update

According to a representative for Legendary Entertainment, the project is still “in active development,” but they could not confirm who was currently working on it. The Pokémon Company declined to comment when Polygon asked about its involvement with the development of the film or other projects that may have spun off since the release of the first Detective Pikachu.

In a recent conversation for their animated series Koala Man, Detective Pikachu writers Benji Samit and Dan Hernandez suggested they were not involved, but would love to be.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria

And this is one of the two guys that consider superheroes dumb, bad, and any form of good is not worth while?

Get fucked you immature edge lords. I hope that he never got any more work again, or nobody lets him back in the comic book industry. I know he's not in jail, so that's the best I can wish. Otherwise, he can get stumped a thousand times in the groin. And his face can have an intimate relationship with the glass covered ground.
Just to be clear, neither Ellis nor Millar (assuming he's the other guy you're talking about). Ellis at worst dislikes how superheroes oversaturate the comics market but he's written some very beloved superhero comics.

Millar is just in a class by himself but he doesn't hate superheroes either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Millar is just in a class by himself but he doesn't hate superheroes either.
Given he created Kick-Ass, its sequels, and Wanted, he certainly fooled me if that's the case.
Ellis at worst dislikes how superheroes oversaturate the comics market but he's written some very beloved superhero comics.
Oh goody, he's still an asshole creep.

Thank you for the insider info.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So they're bringing back King of the Hill: https://deadline.com/2023/01/king-of-the-hill-revival-hulu-original-cast-returning-1235245072/
Which as someone who just a few days ago tried to watch some episodes, this is gonna be bad. Real bad. Like Rosanne needing to be killed by drugs off screen bad.
King of the Hill, with Hank Hill, a violent, alcoholic, racist, homophobic, abusive, Christian conservative anti-Government white guy from Texas. And he's the "good guy". If anyone was at Jan 6th and is a forever-Trumper, its...every single character from King of the Hill. With the possible, ironic, exception of Dale Gribble, who is so conspiratorial, he might think Q is so conspiratorial, its a conspiracy to get real truthers to out themselves over a bullshit zombie Jews from Cuba voting scandal.
If they don't change the show, people will realize how horrible these characters are. If they do change the show, the Hank Hill's of the world will cry "woke lefist liberal propaganda!".