General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, in the original draft of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the oompa-loompas were a tribe of, like, bushmen from Africa that were seemingly happy to be enslaved by Willy Wonka, but then Dahl's publisher (I think) was like 'Uuuuh no, how about we don't do that'. So it likely wasn't just jews that he was fucking weird about, even for that time.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was published in 1964. I’m not surprised his publisher was “Oh fuck no”. That would make Dahl just short of 50 and barring some amazing epiphany, not at an age when his long entrenched views were likely to change.

My point is since the man has been dead for close to three decades, and grew up in two of the shittiest periods of the 20th century, I don't see much point in getting all shook up about him as a person. Same with HP Lovecraft. Neither of them are on Twitter actively stirring shit or actively cultivating a following of unhinged fuckwits to try and make life harder for the already marginalised; lookin’ at you, J.K. Rowling.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
My point is since the man has been dead for close to three decades, and grew up in two of the shittiest periods of the 20th century, I don't see much point in getting all shook up about him as a person. Same with HP Lovecraft. Neither of them are on Twitter actively stirring shit or actively cultivating a following of unhinged fuckwits to try and make life harder for the already marginalised; lookin’ at you, J.K. Rowling.
Lovecraft was extreme even for his time, and Lovecraftian horror is still a big thing in a way that Dahlian comedy is not, though.

But yeah Rowling is still active, which is no small thing.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I’ll admit, merging the VI into the M in Scream is a neat trick.
Capcom does it better.

Otherwise, uh, why?
Wes Cravens dead; studio wants more money with or without him. I stopped caring about Scream after 2. I pretend the series ends there and move on.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Didn’t realize this before but even TLA is based off real world cultures.

Which makes it even cooler.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I thought that was very well known and discussed at the time? The Waterbending tribes are broadly based on Inuit, the Airbenders were Bhuddist monks (so lets say Tibet), the Earth Kingdom basically IS Dynastic China and the Fire Nation was Imperial Japan. And then they started mixing and matching all the rest into that wonderful eclectic setup we all love. Hell even the Bending styles are based on real forms of Kung Fu: Waterbending, especially Katara's is pretty blatantly Tai Chi, Toph's Earthbending I'm pretty positive was based on a style called Hung Gar and Firebending is Northern Shaolin. I always forgot what Airbending and the traditional Earthbending was based on though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I'm surprised you didn't know this. This was pretty much known since the show's official airing. Most people definitely knew by the end of the first season or the beginning of the second season. Nickelodeon even had features about this when the show was really hot.

I thought that was very well known and discussed at the time? The Waterbending tribes are broadly based on Inuit, the Airbenders were Bhuddist monks (so lets say Tibet), the Earth Kingdom basically IS Dynastic China and the Fire Nation was Imperial Japan. And then they started mixing and matching all the rest into that wonderful eclectic setup we all love. Hell even the Bending styles are based on real forms of Kung Fu: Waterbending, especially Katara's is pretty blatantly Tai Chi, Toph's Earthbending I'm pretty positive was based on a style called Hung Gar and Firebending is Northern Shaolin. I always forgot what Airbending and the traditional Earthbending was based on though.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Well, in the original draft of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the oompa-loompas were a tribe of, like, bushmen from Africa that were seemingly happy to be enslaved by Willy Wonka, but then Dahl's publisher (I think) was like 'Uuuuh no, how about we don't do that'. So it likely wasn't just jews that he was fucking weird about, even for that time.
To elaborate on that, while the pygmies were a thing in the early draft, it was apparently the choice to make Charlie a black boy that was nixed by his publisher, and ironically the one we got wound up being criticized for its underlying theme of imperialism and now especially, white privilege.

In a way the main reason the official version was so accepted by audiences is because they just didn’t know any better at the time since themes like that were more or less normalized among the masses.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'm surprised you didn't know this. This was pretty much known since the show's official airing. Most people definitely knew by the end of the first season or the beginning of the second season. Nickelodeon even had features about this when the show was really hot.

Before as in originally as a kid. Guess I could’ve led into the link better. FTR I’ve only seen bits and pieces of the Nickelodeon show.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So Justin Roiland has been sacked from Rick and Morty. Yeah, the guy who voices... Rick and Morty. He's also resigned from the company that made that High on Life game, which makes me think that the allegations against him hold water.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
The "hypothetically" attractive 14-year-old is the same bait every time. Too difficult to be attracted to girls below the AoC and respect the AoC at the same time? Or does the thought already make one a groomer?

Getting caught for domestic abuse is a big L, though. Better luck next time. Rest in piece, Adult Swim.