General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Fast n Furious has come to the 10th main film, and may be the last

IDK, I would actually love to see some of the main characters actually die
The last one of these movies I think I watched all the way through was maybe Fast 5, whichever one The Rock shows up in. I don't wear a fedora or anything and I enjoy popcorn movies, but there's something about the Fast films that targets my ADHD so quickly I can't sit down for a full 10 minutes of one before my brain nags at me to go clean up the kitchen or play videogames or something. I can only really describe the films the same way I do Michael Bay films. It just feels like empty incoherent noise. I find it so strange that they spoil most of the movie in the trailer. Like you can almost script it out beat for beat. I guess fans don't care about that stuff, but much like the last one I feel like I've already seen it so I can pass missing nothing. I occasionally find myself rewatching the Gone in 60 seconds remake with Nick cage. It's funny, I know the stakes, I know how it ends by heart, but I'd still rather just rewatch that than any Fast movie. Again, I'm not calling Fast dumb or banal. I genuinely couldn't say why I can't seem to enjoy them. It's just noise to me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gone in 60 seconds remake with Nick cage. It's funny, I know the stakes, I know how it ends by heart, but I'd still rather just rewatch that than any Fast movie.
One, it's a good movie (and Quentin Tarantino is full of crap for having a problem with the Remake otherwise) and that is just a staying power of the great Nicolas Cage.

I don't wear a fedora or anything and I enjoy popcorn movies, but there's something about the Fast films that targets my ADHD so quickly I can't sit down for a full 10 minutes of one before my brain nags at me to go clean up the kitchen or play videogames or something. I can only really describe the films the same way I do Michael Bay films. It just feels like empty incoherent noise. I find it so strange that they spoil most of the movie in the trailer. Like you can almost script it out beat for beat.
The plot of these movies have been the same since Fast 5. The crew screw somebody over, the crew is getting screwed over at the beginning, or somebody's coming back for revenge, and they got to take care of them.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

I seriously hope this is a decent sequel, and not one of those "revival/sequel to old films for the sake of trends"

Reactions: Xprimentyl

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
So Holy shit Carnival Row got a season 2. I was 100% certain this show got canceled. Don't get me wrong it had all kinds of problems, but the premise and story is like a steampunk D&D players wet dream. Apparently the first two episodes launch yesterday

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Honestly, I like to pretend MCU ended with Endgame. Everything after that all feel like self-contained stories without really having meaningful overarching connections. I liked Spiderman No Way Home, but even that felt like it was starting to diverge off from MCU. And it's the only post-Endgame stuff I've watched. Everything else I just watch short clips, explanation vids, and spoiler forums.

I didn't even know it was entering phase 5. That's how much I don't care about MCU anymore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
didn't even know it was entering phase 5. That's how much I don't care about MCU anymore.
I just found out today as well. Too soon to start on phase five already. I admit that my apathy for the MCU has crept up for a while now with some exceptions. The only MCU properties I care about at this point are Black Panther, Shang-Chi, and maybe GoG. I'm still waiting on that Blade movie, but I don't know when they're going to come out with that. So I'm not getting my hopes up for it too soon. I'm glad they brought back Brian Cox, but I want him in his own Daredevil series again. The only problem is that I know it will never be as good with the action sequences as it was in a Netflix series, and that depresses me. I want Luke Cage back, and I wouldn't mind seeing Jessica Jones again, but they're never going to be as risky as their Netflix counterparts. Though JJ I actually didn't like that much, and it got too dark and over depressing. Ironfist practically has no reason to exist now, but I wouldn't mind they introduced a character by teaming up with Shang. The Punisher TV series I only watch the first season, and didn't bother with the second. The show remaining "neutral" on the topic of gun control did not help. They couldn't pick a side, and just chose not to say anything, despite them constantly bringing it up in the show. So why bother if you're not going to have an important message or boils down to don't think about it? I have no idea what they're going to do with the Punisher now, but I had already lost interest in the character to begin with.

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
One potential "hot take" is that I think the MCU has run its course, commercially, narratively. Most superheroes were a bit too niche to drag crowds in the cinemas, and the MCU succeeded surprisingly, because they managed to ground the most ridiculous characters in a way that appeals to the general action adventure public : Captain America, Iron Man, etc, are basically Indiana Jones, James Bond, Jason Bourne, etc. The most outdated laughable aspects (such as a character named captain america dressed as an american flag) were cleverly addressed and justified, and the themes weren't too out there. They were relatable for a lot of people beyond comics fans.

But now, the MCU reached the geeky zone of multiverse and the "cosmic" era of marvel, and it's simply bound to lose that widespread indy/bond/bourne public. It's not just fatigue, it's the drift to less mainstream themes and settings. I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU collapsed dutring that phase, or at least shrunk dramatically.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
not just fatigue, it's the drift to less mainstream themes and settings. I wouldn't be surprised if the MCU collapsed dutring that phase, or at least shrunk dramatically.
I would not go that far. Going more fantastical/cosmic didn't hurt, but they keep releasing these at a rapid fire and rushed rate. So the oversaturation hits harder. The first Spider-Verse movie already dealt with multi-verse shenanigans, and people loved it. In fact, the MCU is the one that has been following SV and it shows. The only difference is that it takes time for these new animated spider movies to come out and the people behind those projects put in actual effort. So movie goers are more than happy to see multiple spider people. Yet face little to none fatigue.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I didn't even know it was entering phase 5. That's how much I don't care about MCU anymore.
It clearly doesn't seem to have the same meaning for Disney as it does for fans. I think it was pretty easy to retroactively name phase 1 as them doing a lot of introductory films, although its worth nothing those films were meant to stand on their own legs and then phase 2 is them working towards and overarching plot, and then Phase 3 being an official conclusion to the story.

Then theres this phase 4 and beyond stuff and that seems like its lost any relevance for the viewers. It's just a calendar release schedule now. I'm sure before covid they had a solid idea for a story, but it feels like that got completely dumped so when we say "I didnt even know Phase 5 started" it's equivelent weight of you saying "I didn't even know Hasbro had their quarterly earnings call". It's literally means nothing.

I don't watch Marvel promotional stuff anymore, does anybody know if they are still touting these phases as they are supposed to mean anything to fans?

If Phase 4 was supposedly be introducing us to new characters or doing "good" stand alone superhero movies, they've done a shit job of it.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
It clearly doesn't seem to have the same meaning for Disney as it does for fans. I think it was pretty easy to retroactively name phase 1 as them doing a lot of introductory films, although its worth nothing those films were meant to stand on their own legs and then phase 2 is them working towards and overarching plot, and then Phase 3 being an official conclusion to the story.

Then theres this phase 4 and beyond stuff and that seems like its lost any relevance for the viewers. It's just a calendar release schedule now. I'm sure before covid they had a solid idea for a story, but it feels like that got completely dumped so when we say "I didnt even know Phase 5 started" it's equivelent weight of you saying "I didn't even know Hasbro had their quarterly earnings call". It's literally means nothing.

I don't watch Marvel promotional stuff anymore, does anybody know if they are still touting these phases as they are supposed to mean anything to fans?

If Phase 4 was supposedly be introducing us to new characters or doing "good" stand alone superhero movies, they've done a shit job of it.
Seriously, it feels like one of those unnecessary sequels/revival to old classic movies, except they are fucking it up in five years (Endgame was in 2019). FIVE FUCKING YEARS. Could've done a thorough job of creating new stories, but no they had to push out as many shows as possible.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I never cared for Starsky & Hutch, so I am not even close to interested.

Can't blame him, and Neeson is correct.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I do find it intriguing that they took great pains to make all of Ezra 2s clothes yellow tented. Reverse flash?
At least in the animated Flashpoint movie that's Flash's color in the alternate timeline.

Anyway, Flashpoint has an evil flash... Because I truly hope Zod as the main villain is a hoax. What new angle could they get out of him?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
ok Im putting this here, fair warning it spoils a.
.. lot, but fuck it is amazing

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
At least in the animated Flashpoint movie that's Flash's color in the alternate timeline.

Anyway, Flashpoint has an evil flash... Because I truly hope Zod as the main villain is a hoax. What new angle could they get out of him?
Superman's cousin has the opportunity to kill him but doesn't, satiating the moral superiority of every person who had a problem with Superman killing him in Man of Steel.