General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The only thing I don't like is that they are saying it's a prequel which makes the timeline and stakes a bit wonky. I find it kind of amusing that they are like "We have been hiding for centuries" and then they show a giant fucking robot bird flying around. Like you know people live in the rain forests right? I kid, I can overlook that stuff.
Turns out Bumblebee is a continuity reboot. So Bay film continuity does not exists in this timeline. So everyone's wish was granted.

• Continuity Reboot: It was confirmed at Toy Fair 2019 that the movie is a reboot of the Transformers film franchise.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I don't know what changed with Denis Villeneuve in between Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, but his movies just do visually nothing for me now.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't know what changed with Denis Villeneuve in between Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, but his movies just do visually nothing for me now.
I have nothing against the guy, but I have no interest in seeing another movie that is muted with "real is brown/gunmetal gray" aesthetics. That shit was tiring back during the Xbox 360 era, and I am not having it now. I know Dune has been around for a long time, but even the original movie had some color to it. I know they're being accurate to the source material and everything, but I'm not interested.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I have nothing against the guy, but I have no interest in seeing another movie that is muted with "real is brown/gunmetal gray" aesthetics. That shit was tiring back during the Xbox 360 era, and I am not having it now. I know Dune has been around for a long time, but even the original movie had some color to it. I know they're being accurate to the source will see your real and everything, but I'm not interested.
It's just that this is supposed to look like science fiction on an alien planet in the far future - why does it look like they're just walking around a regular boring desert? It's less the brown color scheme and more the lack of texture, lighting, and contrast. I had the same issue with Blade Runner 2049. It wasn't an ugly movie, it just didn't have any (no pun intended) spice to its visuals. It was flat Coca Cola.

Say what you will about Ridley Scott's recent sci-fi movies, but visually they wholly transport you to a future space. Denis Villeneuve knows how to make great looking movies, Prisoners and Arrival are visually incredible, so what the frick happened since then?!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I had the same issue with Blade Runner 2049. It wasn't an ugly movie, it just didn't have any (no pun intended) spice to its visuals. It was flat Coca Cola.
I hard disagree with you there. 2049 looks beautiful. Maybe it wasn't to your appeal, but I'm still amazed at how the film looks. Nothing in the movie ever looked flat to me.
Say what you will about Ridley Scott's recent sci-fi movies, but visually they wholly transport you to a future space.
Visuals is all they have going for ithem at that point. When your characters and story are shallow and empty, there is not much value left. All glitter; no soul. I always preferred Tony Scott anyway.

Prisoners and Arrival are visually incredible, so what the frick happened since then?!
Laziness and relying too much on the basic CG tech. Fury Road has more color than both Dune movies. And that is a movie set in a big ass desert.

Last edited: