Geohot Claims He's Never Heard of Sony Computer Entertainment of America

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I think he is kinda justified using a legal loophole like this when Sony are using technical flim-flam about hard drive tampering to confuse people, and also making up the account thing (maybe)

The thing is, this isn't even the actual legal case. This is the case deciding where the real case should happen. But it's dragging on a bit.

At this stage, you'd think it would be cheaper for Sony to give him a job.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, our champion of consumer rights! *sarcastic clapping*
I know that it would set a bad precedent, but it's getting to the point where I think it would be worth it. I want this douchebag to lose this case. Why did the person involved in this case have to be a Grade-A jackass?

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Oh, this is getting better and better! What next, Sony claims Geohot is secretly an employee? :'D

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Verlander said:
I don't know about America, but in the UK I'm damn sure that wouldn't fly. Ignorance doesn't shield you from the law. If Sony provided those manuals, it's his responsibility to read them.

Anyway, this guy seems like a right knob. Take the git down!
And even if he didn't, he must have actually played a game on one of those PS3s at some point. I imagine Sony continued something that was done on the PS2, which was to have copyright information, including the words "Sony Computer Entertainment of America", before the main menu of a game.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
This is getting ridiculous... I think its dumb that sony even tried to se, but at the same time we could have a better figurehead protecting homebrew for the PS3... I mean, you can't choose who fights on your side, but it would be nice to have someone a little better off...

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Cain_Zeros said:
Verlander said:
I don't know about America, but in the UK I'm damn sure that wouldn't fly. Ignorance doesn't shield you from the law. If Sony provided those manuals, it's his responsibility to read them.

And even if he didn't, he must have actually played a game on one of those PS3s at some point. I imagine Sony continued something that was done on the PS2, which was to have copyright information, including the words "Sony Computer Entertainment of America", before the main menu of a game.
Precisely, although harder to prove.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Bullshit.

He must have played a PS1 game at some point and MUST have noticed the "Sony Computer Entertainment of America" below the PS1 logo.

This argument doesn't hold water.

Balaxe

Mar 24, 2009
Why do you use the same picture of Geohotz every time there's news about him?

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
I didn't know there was a SCEoA untill now...
I always thought Sony was based in Japan.
But again I live in Canada.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Sony trolled in round 1, and now they're being trolled back. Seems fair to me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
For some reason, I see Geohot as pulling a Three Stooges-ism right now, going "Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk" at Sony.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Verlander said:

You're under legal obligation to read the manuals of consumer electronics you purchase, as opposed to just throwing them in the box they came in and putting the box up somewhere to look pretty?

Uh-oh, I'm in a lot of trouble then.

Cain_Zeros said:
Verlander said:

There's knowing SCEA exists, and there's knowing SCEA exists as a separate legal entity.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Stupid ass. Damn near everyone in gaming knows what the SCEA is. This strikes me of that little bit of legislature that says that ignorance of a law does not make one free of it's consequences when that law is broken.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
While this whole argument is idiotic, i still find the fact that picking a State in US law can pretty much win or loose you the case. That's the most idiotic law system ever invented and even with such ignorant excuses, it well deserves to be abused. Just decide on one law and get over it rather than trying to choose the 'best' judge for your case.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
Simple really, if they can demonstrate that the case is outside the jurisdiction of the United States, let alone California, then the process moves to extradition hearings. Except that I'm not sure whether the US and Japan have an extradition treaty which would include this type of issue.

Let's say they do though, then we'd move to a situation where the case would be tried in Japan. There, the SCEA cannot claim damages, and Sony Japan might simply not be interested in a protracted legal battle. Likely a settlement is more likely under these circumstances.

I'm not a lawyer btw. I just read a lot. This is just how I see it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
You know, I think this whole court case can be summed up like this:

Sony: "but this and this and this and this and all this stuff!"

Hotz('s lawyers): "Oh yeah? Prove it."

Sony: "....and this and this and this!"

*repeat*

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
*sighs* Really, guy? I've known about the SCEA since the first time I ever saw someone fire up a Playstation game, and that was back when I was ten. That splash screen back in the day was kind of hard to miss.

If this "strategy" of his actually works I'm going to go ahead and kidnap Olivia Wilde and keep her in a pit in my basement, because clearly it'll be a sign of our legal system going completely to sh*t and becoming ineffective.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
What is a hacker, but someone who exploits weaknesses and oversights to his advantage. In other words: GEOHOT IS LAW-HACKING!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Ignorance of a rule is never a valid defense for violation of that rule. Claiming you don't know that 20th Century Fox exists doesn't give you license to pirate Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes up to the last 5 seconds of the credits.

This guy seems to be flirting with contempt of court.