Geohot Claims He's Never Heard of Sony Computer Entertainment of America

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
My god he's an idiot. I hope Sony, or Soni in Japan, take him down for everything he's worth. Hackers are making the rest of use honest gamers suffer.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
mxfox408 said:
Being a modder myself I hope sony looses, what right do they have to tell me i cannot mod MY system that I purchased? Fuck sony.
They're actually more upset at the fact that he posted the root security key (which he does not own) online.
Edit: Gah, why is it this like the only site that gives me connection issues?
Im aware of that as well but its like buying a cell phone and posting the root key online for others to use(which is legal to do). Its your property and posting information reguarding software is no different than reverse engineering.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
mxfox408 said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
mxfox408 said:
Being a modder myself I hope sony looses, what right do they have to tell me i cannot mod MY system that I purchased? Fuck sony.
They're actually more upset at the fact that he posted the root security key (which he does not own) online.
Edit: Gah, why is it this like the only site that gives me connection issues?
Im aware of that as well but its like buying a cell phone and posting the root key online for others to use(which is legal to do). Its your property and posting information reguarding software is no different than reverse engineering.
Your analogy to jailbreaking an iPhone may be misplaced and, if not, is certainly based on an entirely unfounded premise. As the U.S. Copyright Office found in the case of the iPhone, "[w]hen one jailbreaks a smartphone in order to make the operating system on that phone interoperable with an independently created application that has not been approved by the maker of the smartphone or the maker of its operating system, the modifications that are made purely for the purpose of such interoperability are fair uses." You'll perhaps notice that the iPhone jailbreak allowance is based on a very limited circumstance, i.e., enhancing interoperability. It doesn't cover cases where the jailbreak is for the purpose of avoiding access control mechanisms so as to infringe on matter protected by the Copyright Act. Furthermore, the allowance is not, as you seem to think, based on any notion that because it is your property, you are free to do with what you want. Again, the basis is found only in those cases where the jailbreak is "made purely for the purpose of [enhancing] interoperability."

Just because you've been given an inch does not necessarily mean you've been given the whole nine yards.

DR.reeve

Oct 12, 2010
I really didn't know there was a SCEA untill now
I always thought Sony was based in Japan.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
He claimed that the manuals for the used consoles he purchased, which are the only documentation included with the system that actually mention SCEA or California, were either missing or got tossed out without being looked at, and that the one that came with the new Slim system he purchased has never been looked at and is in fact still sealed.
Wait a second.....my PS3 came with a manual?! Hmm, I suppose there was some scrap of paper that said something abut not dropping it in water....

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Zer0Saber said:
Worgen said:
Zer0Saber said:
Worgen said:
hmm I wondered what scea stood for
it's hard to get sarcasm across in text form
actually I never remember seeing that acronym explained, I would regularly hear it associated with sony but I never cared enough to find out what it really stood for and never saw anything say scea (sony something something america) dammit, forgot what the forgot what the full thing was already.... sony company entertainment of america? bah, whatever
so, did you never own any of the PlayStations? a good bunch of PlayStation exclusive games since the PS1 and still now upon loading would bring up "Sony Computer Entertainment of America" in white text and black background, but then again, who really pays that much attention to the opening logos of videos game. (mashing the buttons till they all go away)

ohhhhh yeah, the things you dont pay attention to during loading

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
mxfox408 said:
Lizmichi said:
My god he's an idiot. I hope Sony, or Soni in Japan, take him down for everything he's worth. Hackers are making the rest of use honest gamers suffer.
Ignorant and obtuse comment. You clearly didnt pay attention to what this case is about. Its about a hacker posting a root key of the software in oder to mod your ps3, and sony is basically saying he does not have the right to do that, but its his personal property that he modded and posted how he did it and sony thinks they can dictate what we can and cant do with our property, so i say screw sony, apple tried tge same thing and they lost thier case.
You know what, I'm not going to put up with being insulted and being berated. This is how I feel if you don't like I'm sorry but I stand by what I said.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Fine by me but i was correcting a statement you made, im a console hacker, but i buy my games, so how does hacking not make me an honest gamer? I hack my consoles because i can since i purchased it but since i still buy my games and dlc how am i not honest? My wii can now play dvd's, games i buy from nintendo can now be saved onto a flash drive, my playstation 3 can play ps1 ps2 and ps3 games that i already own as well as using a 1tb hard drive to store music and movies i ripped from my own dvd's and blurays again how is that not an honest gamer?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
mxfox408 said:
Fine by me but i was correcting a statement you made, im a console hacker, but i buy my games, so how does hacking not make me an honest gamer? I hack my consoles because i can since i purchased it but since i still buy my games and dlc how am i not honest? My wii can now play dvd's, games i buy from nintendo can now be saved onto a flash drive, my playstation 3 can play ps1 ps2 and ps3 games that i already own as well as using a 1tb hard drive to store music and movies i ripped from my own dvd's and blurays again how is that not an honest gamer?
If you are going to make statements like "I hack my consoles because can since purchased it," you may want to go easy on accusations of ignorance and obtusiveness. You have no recognized legal right to hack the software in a game console solely because you purchased the game console. In fact, you haven't even purchased that software. You use it merely as a licensee. It ain't your property. It remains the property of the licensor.

And if you are making copies of your DVDs, I don't know if that makes you a dishonest gamer but it does make you a copyright infringer.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
I know I've seen SCEA during loading screens and rolling in credits for PS3 games, but it never quite occurred to me that that gave them jurisdiction over US, California cases.

It was just a name and I supposed it had something to do with publishers wanting to be closer to their developers, so they don't have to pack a small jet full of Japanese board members every time they want to supervise.

That said, to everyone calling for his head and unaware of the backstory, Sony's trying to take him down because he tampered with merchandise that was legally his after purchase, something no company should have the right to do.

A tyrant's fighting the little guy with legal low-blows, I don't see anything wrong with reciprocating.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Of course he knows. This is all about the fact that the court has to prove he knows.
It's actually pretty funny seeing people use loopholes like this...

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
13lackfriday said:
I know I've seen SCEA during loading screens and rolling in credits for PS3 games, but it never quite occurred to me that that gave them jurisdiction over US, California cases.

It was just a name and I supposed it had something to do with publishers wanting to be closer to their developers, so they don't have to pack a small jet full of Japanese board members every time they want to supervise.

That said, to everyone calling for his head and unaware of the backstory, Sony's trying to take him down because he tampered with merchandise that was legally his after purchase, something no company should have the right to do.

A tyrant's fighting the little guy with legal low-blows, I don't see anything wrong with reciprocating.
The software he tampered with is not legally his after purchase. It was merely licensed to him for use by the licensor and, in fact, that license expressly reserves all rights of ownership of the software to SCEA and, furthermore, prohibits modification of that software. And that's before we get to the DMCA, which prohibits circumvention of access control mechanisms for the purpose of infringing upon copyrighted materials.

Jul 11, 2008
BehattedWanderer said:
Stupid ass. Damn near everyone in gaming knows what the SCEA is. This strikes me of that little bit of legislature that says that ignorance of a law does not make one free of it's consequences when that law is broken.
Yeah, but considering, like you said, damn near everyone in gaming knows what SCEA is, I call bullshit on Geohot. What a douche.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Troop18546 said:
LeonLethality said:
Troop18546 said:
LeonLethality said:
How in god's name does he think he can get away with playing stupid? The guy clearly is not that much of an idiot to not know that SCEA exists, he was smart enough to crack the PS3 so I'm 100% positive he is smart enough to know SCEA exists. Heck I knew it existed more than ten years ago!

Also thank you for using the rap video picture of him in any news related to this, it always makes me laugh.
Omg, idiot...
Well thought out post there!

Also low content posts and insulting other users are big no-nos here, you might want to change that up a bit before a mod gets cross with you. Because I personally am deeply offended by your harsh words.
I see you still dont get why i posted that. Its cause youre that dense, the post shows it. Go crawl out of your hole for once. Where do you even live?
USA? I rest my case.
Oh man I must be soooo dense, what with me living in the USA, holy cow, the place I live seriously determines how smart I am. Your post is vague and explains nothing, I don't see how that helps support your argument against me.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
humm... i could see him in court saying this and then looking at the sony legal team and asking "problem sony?" and then making the troll face.

D-bagary aside, what is said on the box has a big impact, there are laws older then most of us set in stone to protect consumers from buying a product that is not what is advertised, and if they can figure a way to work them, sony may be in for a fight.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen, your freedom fighter! Putting down the hated EULA by using legal loopholes and claiming ignorance rather then addressing the inherent problem. Truly this is the man who you want fighting your moral battles!

Sorry, sorry but as this case drags out this guy is just looking more and more silly and the idea that he's going to get out without even addressing the issue everyone wanted to see addressed is so ironic. Of course I would think they can sift through forum posts, blogs and such to find some reference to SCEA somewhere. Then again maybe of of his games has a title movie that says "Sony computer entertainment of America" too. That'd be hard to explain.

soulsabr

Oct 9, 2008
Asuro_Aguero said:
ahh, legal loopholes, they're so much fun, but seriously. How can you be a hacker and not know who exactly is trying to fight against your hacking
That, my friend, is exactly the wrong question.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
JDKJ said:
mxfox408 said:
If you are going to make statements like "I hack my consoles because can since purchased it," you may want to go easy on accusations of ignorance and obtusiveness. You have no recognized legal right to hack the software in a game console solely because you purchased the game console. In fact, you haven't even purchased that software. You use it merely as a licensee. It ain't your property. It remains the property of the licensor.

And if you are making copies of your DVDs, I don't know if that makes you a dishonest gamer but it does make you a copyright infringer.

I can edit any software on my system of my desire as long as its not for comercial gain, and personal use the same goes for copying movies for personal use. I havent done anything illegal and sony cant come into my house and sue me for clocking or editing software for better performance or unlocked or upgraded features. Ofcourse i void the warranty but look up when apple tried to sue a jailbreaker for the same reason and why they failed.