George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
it always amuses me to see the fanatism on escapist forums whenever something concenrning George Lucas comes around.
Its his movie. Its his universe. He can do whatever he wants. He does not have to account for retarded fanboism. It is entirely possible he wanted Greedo to shoot first, but the studio cut it. It was his first big movie, he had very little say in the matter.

so, but from the likes of Roger goddamned Ebert, real film critics who know how your movies could have been fixed.
im sorry but if you think Roger Ebert is the ultimate say in what works in movies you clearly lack the intelligence you others to think you have.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
FelixG said:
00slash00 said:
FelixG said:
Actually, you should watch the scene again. He doesn't dodge, he twitches away from where the laser blast hit on the wall. Greedo was off by about 6 inches before Han even moved, and he moved AFTER the blast hit, showing he just has good reflexes.
im a little confused. how is that different from what i said?
You said he dodged the shot, there was no dodging involved, greedo was just a crappy shot.
yeah but i said the way he dodged it was by moving his head to the side so the blast just missed. i never said he jumped out of the way of the laser or anything

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Bhaalspawn said:
THIS JUST IN: When the creator changes something in HIS movie, it is now Canon!
That is an interesting discussion in itself, and I believe everyone can just decide for themselves what they consider canon or not. But there's also one other problem here:
"Are those HIS movies?", Is George Lucas the one who has the right to mess with them?

If someone buys the rights for Citizen Kane and then remasters it so that it ends with Kane fighting Lincoln in a giant mecha suit, in space, is that version more 'canon', and correct than the movie Orson Welles made?

I personally have never cared much about the Star Wars, but it raises interesting guestions about fiction and who has the right to define its meaning, and it is an interesting social phenomenon.

Strazdas said:
Its his movie. Its his universe. He can do whatever he wants.
Is it? He didn't make those movies all alone. Input from other writers, directors, artists, the studio, the actors etc made it what it was.

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
And once again it looks like the original films were only decent because other people overruled George and edited stuff behind his back or outright told him he was wrong.

Nice try for the publicity George but you haven't gotten a whiff of my money since Episode 1 mate*.

*At least not via the movies, KOTOR 1 + 2 though...

Feb 13, 2008
As a closer to this thread, I would suggest this is a good reading:
http://news.moviefone.com/mike-ryan/midnight-showing-the-phantom-menace_b_1268745.html

This is the New York Midnight showing.

12:00 a.m. As the lights go down, the crowd has swelled to just under 50 audience members.

12:30 a.m. Jar Jar Binks makes his first appearance on screen. The audience bursts into laughter. Not because of Jar Jar's actions, but it's more of a nervous laughter of, "Good God, this really happened. I forgot how awful this was."

1:45 a.m During the Senate scene, right when the line, "We now introduce the delegation from Naboo," is spoken, Matt Patches from Hollywood.com let's out an overly dramatic snore. Apparently he is not a fan of this scene.

2:15 a.m. The lightsaber battle between Qui-Gon Jin, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul begins. I must admit, this is fun to see on a big screen again.

2:24 a.m. The lightsaber battle between Qui-Gon Jin, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul is a lot shorter than I remember.

Feb 13, 2008
FelixG said:
00slash00 said:
FelixG said:
Actually, you should watch the scene again. He doesn't dodge, he twitches away from where the laser blast hit on the wall. Greedo was off by about 6 inches before Han even moved, and he moved AFTER the blast hit, showing he just has good reflexes.
im a little confused. how is that different from what i said?
You said he dodged the shot, there was no dodging involved, greedo was just a crappy shot.
There was a digital slide from Han Solo. The original remastered shot would have killed Han.

Look at the original and the remastered scene, Han's character gets moved by CGI.

Nigh Invulnerable said:
Buzz Killington said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
Just enjoy whichever version of the film you prefer, people!
I'd love to, but Lucas won't release the fucking undoctored original versions of the films on DVD.
Except for this:
http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328931796&sr=8-3
As has been said, that's not the original. That's the '97 redub. There are subtle ways you can tell.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
"George, you can say this shit, but you sure as hell can't believe it"- That's not paraphrasing, thats changing the whole meaning of the original statement which was (roughly paraphrased)-"George, you can write this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it". Don't skewer Harrison Fords words for your own devious ends!

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
oh my god, who the hell cares, star wars nerds are so whiny, it's his film and if he says, in the original plot that he built it to say that greedo shot first, then he did

also -holds up flame shield- i never even really liked the original star wars films

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Strazdas said:
it always amuses me to see the fanatism on escapist forums whenever something concenrning George Lucas comes around.
Its his movie. Its his universe. He can do whatever he wants. He does not have to account for retarded fanboism. It is entirely possible he wanted Greedo to shoot first, but the studio cut it. It was his first big movie, he had very little say in the matter.

so, but from the likes of Roger goddamned Ebert, real film critics who know how your movies could have been fixed.
im sorry but if you think Roger Ebert is the ultimate say in what works in movies you clearly lack the intelligence you others to think you have.
Don't be dense. You don't seem like you are, so why act that way?

How would you feel if DaVinci were to come around and say that he always meant for the Mona Lisa to have dickbutt in it?
So don't go around saying idiotic things like "he can do what he wants", because it's simply not true, nor acceptable.
i'm sorry but they're HIS movies, so he can do what the fuck he likes with them, you can't tell him what he can and can't do,
and really you will compare dickbutt in the mona lisa to han didn't shoot first -__-

VaNilla

Sep 25, 2008
How childish can people get... it's a fucking film, get over it. You were wrong, it's that simple, move on ;). Any film editor can tell you the original scene is badly cut given the lack of clarity as to who shot first. They decided to clean up the cut using a wide shot they took over 35 years ago, is that so hard to understand?

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Wow, using tactics from Orwells 1984 are we? Change the old information to suit your needs and then tell everyone the changed version is the original?

Han shooting first doesn't make him a cold killer, it makes him a survivor. If he sits down at a table and lets a guy shoot at him from that range Hans an idiot, he may be a noble good guy but hes a dead noble good guy. It's the difference between Han and Luke. In their encounters at the bar, Luke never uses violence to try and make his way out of the situation which drops him in even more trouble, requiring Obi-Wan to step in and save him (with violence). At this point Luke is rather naive, a little guy in a big galaxy. This scene illustrates it. Compare it to Hans reaction of drawing his blaster under the table, Hans choice is to get rid of Greedo, he knows reasoning won't work so he has to kill him. Keeping his cool at gunpoint demonstrates how much more experinced and rogueish Han is compared to Luke. Greedo doesn't scare him or walk all over him, Han keep his cool (probably having been in several encounters like this before) and keeps Greedo talking.

It's all part of Luke maturing, he needs father figures and in some ways Han is one. He teaches Luke more about how to be cunning and how to spot danger. Luke grows up a lot after the Death Star and the two biggest influences on him there was Obi-Wan, his main fater figure who teaches him about the force and serves as a role model for Luke to become when he is a Jedi. Han is the other figure (though their relationship is friendly not paternal) who teaches Luke some of his audacity and shapes his from being a naive farm boy into a daring soldier of the Alliance. Han also learns from Luke though, he learns that being a relative loner and abandoning friends is not the way to go, staying with the same people can be good.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I completely don't care. I just don't listen to anything he says anymore, I can't be bothered to be annoyed. Even if he's not deluded, I still don't care. It just makes more sense for Han to shoot first, and that is how I am going to interpret it.