German Police Official Calls For Ban On Violent Games

The_General

Sep 13, 2008
"German Police Official Calls For Ban On Violent Games"

A horribly misinformed police official, I am afraid. Games have no effect on the human mind unless the person is unable to make the difference between reality and fantasy, at which point they should be sectioned anyway. Any above-dim mind on this planet knows the difference, and the poor fools who don't get to represent us all.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
Too right! Violent video games are responsible for all of this violence, when will you gamers grow up and realise that it's all your fault!

The world wouldn't miss video games, since when did video games do anything for us!?

BUG.exe

Mar 11, 2009
wow people are stupid. it starts with parenting. when did the world seem to forget that parenting is important?

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
That's a very valid point, but still the point I was trying to make is that violent stuff happens; you can try and blame it on anything but at the end of the day there will always been mentally unstable people who will snap and will find a way to break our hearts.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Getting rid of violent games=NO FUN GAMES!!!

All that's left are the owned by the "Violence r teh bad families"

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I think this is a "generation gap" issue, remember when your parents were growing up and the TV was causing homicides? and I bet your grandparents and or great grandparents remember when radio was causing killing sprees and before that killing animals was causing people to go on killing sprees and during that Alcohol was causing people to go on killing sprees when it only did that because alcohol was illegal and gangsters got into the mix.

just look at them and say video games are causing me to kill as many people as how many YOU have killed as a result to TV...in layman's terms jack shit and jack left town.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
I personally think German police should be given more power to ban things they think lead the more unpleasant elements of their society to bother all the law-abiding good Germans. The Germans are a brave and efficient people, so I can't imagine that sort of thing going badly for them at all.

Oh wait...

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Thankfully for the Germans, I don't think one trauma-stricken police officer is going to be able to eliminate almost the entirety of the videogaming industry in the country.

Especially since his argument is: "there is no proof that violent games do anything to a person... but there isn't proof that they don't, either!" Honestly, such accusations are just completely juvenile.

People are just wary of gaming because they're used to it being Pong and Super Mario Bros. When games evolve and begin to cross some boundaries -- boundaries that movies, comics, and television have already crossed -- people are apprehensive, because that's not their perception of what a game should be.

When these people die out and the next generation takes their place, these ridiculous accusations will hopefully cease to exist.

JoshasorousRex

Dec 5, 2008
Break said:
Banning violent games?

Isn't that, like... All of them?
Yes that includes Pony Barbie Island... I know it's so sad!! *sobs*

Well here is another ban on video games eh? If it goes through then what are they going to blame and ban next? ("what" because nobody will own up to it as MaxTheReaper said)

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
Just to give you an idea how far this goes...

As you may read here (careful, it's in german)

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Stuttgart-untersagt-Computerspiele-Wettbewerb--/meldung/135025

the city of Stuttgart (not a small one), canceled a match of the ESL (Electronic Sports League) after Turtle Entertainment (the organisator) refused to cancel the "Warcraft" and "Counterstrike" games.
The city also asked them to hold a minute of silence for the victims which was also rejected.

Ibrahim Mazari, being responsible at Turtle for PR and protection of children, said that there is no reason to do so as there is no causality between the games and the shooting.
He also said that nobody would do this at a soccer match although these do attract far more "real" violence than any other gaming convention ever did.

I think he did not really handle this on the diplomatic trail, but he's got a point.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
This policeman attitude reminds me of Middle Ages; during which adulterers , to explain the fact that they cheated their wives, made up stories that their mistress is a witch who had enchanted them , a normal, family guy, with diabolical spells. So she must burn, to be punished, because she made meek as lamb, religious people to sin.

Scapegoating.
Scapegoating is a hostile social - psychological discrediting routine by which people move blame and responsibility away from themselves and towards a target person or group. It is also a practice by which angry feelings and feelings of hostility may be projected, via inappropriate accusation, towards others. The target feels wrongly persecuted and receives misplaced vilification, blame and criticism; he is likely to suffer rejection from those who the perpetrator seeks to influence. Scapegoating has a wide range of focus: from "approved" enemies of very large groups of people down to the scapegoating of individuals by other individuals. Distortion is always a feature.

Chosen_Chaos

Sep 11, 2008
*sigh* I just love kneejerk reactions. Once, just once, I'd like to see the media go for something else other than cheap ratings/circulation numbers when something like this happens. Scapegoating is too kind a term for what's being heaped on games and gaming at present.

sorpaqq

May 12, 2011
One of the games that has been called a killergame in Germany is Final fantasy vii which is just the stupidest thing ever in the history of the universe.