Germans Demand Profits From Nick Fury's Briefcase

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
teebeeohh said:
Ukomba said:
teebeeohh said:
Ukomba said:
Damages? People now wanting a briefcase like the one they saw in the movie will be buying them from Rimowa if they are, indeed, close. This comes off like Chevrolet wanting to sue Transformers over Bumblebee being a Camaro... Actually, Chevrolet might have a case there.
except who do you think knew about that? everyone knows Chevrolet but how many people knew about the company before this lawsuit came up? NOW they will probably get some business out of it.

let's see how this turns out but my guess is we will hear from this for a while and at some point Marvel will settle.
Right, but people who knew about Rimowa already might be more likely to buy it thanks to the movie. Ya, it's not great advertising, but I don't see how it hurts them either. Were they planning on releasing a line of dvd cases?
probably not but marvel should have known they got the design of the case from somewhere and considered that. maybe just a case of one hand not knowing what the other does.
and i just noticed that your transformers comparison doesn't really work since they don't object to their product being in the movie but over marvel using their design for something else. and i don't think there are dvd special editions or toys of bumblebee that look like Camaros without some sort of license.

and regarding hurting them the original case is rather expensive (let me check... 430?) while the movie collection is less than one fourth of the price meaning the case probably isn't too sturdy. now all we need is one idiot getting his hands one of the cheap cases, it breaks and he looses his priceless collection of ancient coins, he writes one angry review and after word to mouth EVERYTHING IS RUINED.
not very likely too happen but when have lawsuits been about things that are likely to happen?
The transformers comparison was a joke. Though, for the life of me, I don't know why a car company would want to have their car taking a leak on camera.

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
Totally legit case... see what I did there?

But yeah, put it this way... what do you think would happen if Rimowa released a Mickey Mouse case?

Disney would be all over them.

To dismiss this by saying "oh it looks like every other metal briefcase" is nonsense, for every one you show me that is similar I can show you one that is totally different.

You see the point here is the design of this case is a persons work, commission's and paid for by Rimowa.

...and to be frank this does not look like "every other metal briefcase"... because obviously Rimowa is a company that protects it's IP.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Shit. I kinda hoped Marvel would bring that boxset over to us in the U.K. and show a little love. Not gonna happen now, eh?

But Marvel really should've seen this coming and made sure their agreement with Rimowa extended to using the image for promotional purposes and for merchandise. I know why they didn't, it's because they never expected to use the case for that purpose because they were unaware of how popular it'd be. But by the same token, there was plenty of opportunity to ask Rimowa before this got out of hand.

DangNabbit

May 23, 2010
What, all of Germany wants a cut of the profit?

Ah wait, it's just a German company, which, because it's not important enough to be American, can just be othered into "Germans".

Raise your game, Escapist, you're better than this.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Slycne said:
I think this case will largely come down to what agreements the two companies made during production and if whether the briefcase logo was displayed during the film.

That said, it honestly looks like any other stainless steel case. Not sure why they bothered getting some designer one when props probably had dozens of similar models sitting around.
The case companies business depends on exclusivity. You are not going to pay a high price for a stainless steel case when there are cheap plastic versions of it selling a comic book movie. If you are walking into a Frankfurt bank HQ, Avengers fandom isn't not the image that most sober suited German businessmen want to project.

Thomas Mccluskey

Dec 30, 2011
I'm not sure how it is that I keep on ending up in threads about copyright or trademark infringement, but my Blade Runner DVD set from several years back came in a briefcase relatively similar to this one. No Cosmic Cube window, of course, but still the finest packaging I've ever gotten in a collector's edition set.

But I digress. I was just thinking that maybe Marvel should've looked at their licensing agreement with Rimowa before contracting somebody to make knockoffs of Rimowa's design, which is trademarkable, and which in this case was probably violated.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Quick, show of hands- how many people thought that the briefcase "stole every scene it was in, and became so iconic [to The Avengers]"? Because other than this Karloff fellow and possibly the guy who designed the packaging for the DVD collection, I don't know anyone who thinks that. I saw the movie twice, and although I remember Nick Fury had a briefcase, I could not tell you what it looked like.

Thomas Mccluskey

Dec 30, 2011
DangNabbit said:

Ah wait, it's just a German company, which, because it's not important enough to be American, can just be othered into "Germans".

I may be nitpicking, here, but so are you. It's a headline, which is the one place in an article where hyperbolic statements are somewhat acceptable. For example, if a newspaper said, "WORLD AT WAR," following, say, the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand or perhaps sometime after, this would be generally acceptable, despite the fact that a number of countries weren't involved due to geography, and Switzerland just sat that one out.

It's also a bit more terse than, "Kindly briefcase designers from a large European nation (the identity of which doesn't matter, as that would be lumping them into a demographic group, which we tend to do, as they are not Americans) seek recompense from the Disney Corporation for their usage of said briefcase makers' design without permission to do so." That would totally be a better headline.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Thomas Mccluskey said:
DangNabbit said:

I may be nitpicking, here, but so are you. It's a headline, which is the one place in an article where hyperbolic statements are somewhat acceptable. For example, if a newspaper said, "WORLD AT WAR," following, say, the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand or perhaps sometime after, this would be generally acceptable, despite the fact that a number of countries weren't involved due to geography, and Switzerland just sat that one out.

It's also a bit more terse than, "Kindly briefcase designers from a large European nation (the identity of which doesn't matter, as that would be lumping them into a demographic group, which we tend to do, as they are not Americans) seek recompense from the Disney Corporation for their usage of said briefcase makers' design without permission to do so." That would totally be a better headline.
Hang on, let me try.
"RIMOWA DEMANDS PROFITS FROM NICK FURYS BRIEFCASE"
There.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Podunk said:
Quick, show of hands- how many people thought that the briefcase "stole every scene it was in, and became so iconic [to The Avengers]"? Because other than this Karloff fellow and possibly the guy who designed the packaging for the DVD collection, I don't know anyone who thinks that. I saw the movie twice, and although I remember Nick Fury had a briefcase, I could not tell you what it looked like.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Except I'll be completely honest I had NO freaking idea Nick Fury had a briefcase AT ALL.

Seriously. If it was there I ignored it simply because guys in suits in those movies ALWAYS carry some kind of case. Disney could edit the case out of the whole movie and I guarantee it'd not be any different.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
And so, Earth's greatest heroes found themselves battling a foe they had never imagined facing...copyright infringement. It would prove to be a most fearsome foe indeed....

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
I saw the movie. I barely remember the briefcase. Not sure what all the hubbub is about.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Since Marvel is now backed by Disney and their troop of lawyers able to bend copyright and trademark laws to their whim I can see this becoming a serious non-issue.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Thomas Mccluskey said:
I'm not sure how it is that I keep on ending up in threads about copyright or trademark infringement, but my Blade Runner DVD set from several years back came in a briefcase relatively similar to this one. No Cosmic Cube window, of course, but still the finest packaging I've ever gotten in a collector's edition set.

But I digress. I was just thinking that maybe Marvel should've looked at their licensing agreement with Rimowa before contracting somebody to make knockoffs of Rimowa's design, which is trademarkable, and which in this case was probably violated.
I'm more suspecting that Rimowa should have read the paperwork more carefully before seeking to do product placement in a movie with a studio that are masters at merchandising. Note we have no idea what was actually in the agreements. We have no idea if the case in question was a custom made model specific to the movie or a standard off the shelf item. We have no idea what the material value of the advertising from prominent placement in one of the worlds most seen and most profitable movies would be (which balance the other side of the equation).

Honestly Rimowa are fools. They obviously have cool and stylish products. They rather clearly have benefited from the exposure. And quite frankly the small plastic DVD case version of the briefcase is NOT something that in any way dilutes their customer base or drives off their customers. If anything it is just more advertising. If they had played it right, they should have quietly raised the issue behind the scenes with the Marvel merchandising people regarding the DVD collection case. Agree that there was an unintentional infringement, and balanced the books with a small settlement, and getting Marvel to spit out even more product placement and free advertising in other movies. Iron Man 3 is in production. And that's all about the Briefcase.

But by seeking such a big payout in such an obnoxious and public way. Well they're toxic. They live off the wallets of the trendy and stylish. The trendy and stylish live off the wallets of those like Disney. Plus no other studio or production will go near their products ever again. They will lose far more than they have any hope of gaining. Even in a German court.

vid87

May 17, 2010
So between this and the losses from John Carter, Disney would technically be breaking even on the Avengers at this point?

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
German Company vs. Marvel, Marvel Cinematic, Disney, Samuel Jackson, a multi-billion dollar franchise, and a global fanbase.

Name 3 things that Rimowa is doing wrong.