Germany Bans EU CoD: Black Ops for PC

thegermanguy

Jul 17, 2009
hm. normally i would be defending my home country. but I won't.

there were several occasions where the officials cut certain parts out of a game, for example doom 3 (if i remember correctly). but on the other hand, games like god of war haven't been cut at all. anyway, this was never a problem since the internet always had a quick solution for this. but now with steam...well, shit.

oddly enough, certain games are not cut at all. like god of war.

well...lets just say our government is not very popular here at all. but hey, I guess here are enough americans who know what I mean and know how it feels to hate the government! right?

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Celtic_Kerr said:
I'm going to assume that you're being incredibly sarcastic with this.
Sarcastic and ironic. After all, the generation who grew up with the 'Stones, and hence most liable to influence are in their 50s and 60s. This is the dominant policy-making demographic and while the Stones were particularly popular in England, above that of their popularity in Germany, the joke retains humour despite integrity flaws.

Wolf Hagen

Jul 28, 2010
As said before: it has always been like this.

In the German Version of HL1 wherent even Human soldiers, they got replaced by Robot marines or such and other weird things like even that C&C Red Alert you fought with Cyborgs (althougfh in every cutscene was still humans) but yes, they seem weird on what to censor and whatnot since I didn't try the example of Dead Space i could not tell. But After all both L4D Titles got heavily censored up to the part two where the security Zombies where missing like in the Aussie Version.

The thing is: it has always been like this here since back in the early 90's.

And for the Nazi Topic: No Swastikas allowed in German game Versions EVER! XD

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
The next step will be capital punishment for those importing non-censored and violent games.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
this is why steam needs to fucking die. not to sound like the sort of conspiracy-theory-babblibg-fuck-tard, but it is a method of control. that is all.

Jul 13, 2010
Delusibeta said:
It's published by Activision, ergo it sucks. Especially if you don't want to give Bobby Kotick any money.
I don't give a damn who gets my money, so long as I get a good game in return. And no, a game does not suck just because it has been published by Activision. The game, when it is released, should be judged on its own merits as a game.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Nazz3 said:
Sucks for Germans.

The game sucks too though.
It hasn't been released yet, jackass.

OT: Wow. It seems that everyone is jumping on the 'games are evil' bandwagon.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
John Funk said:
Sure, the game might not be in German, but that's the EU where everyone speaks like five languages, right? You'll be just fine.
Awesome joke is awesome.

OT: And this is partly why I dislike that CoD now uses steamworks. I'm fine with Valve's games using Steamwork but now when almost every game I buy is steam-integrated it just becomes a royal pain in the ass.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Super Toast said:
OT: Wow. It seems that everyone is jumping on the 'games are evil' bandwagon.
Actually music, books and films can also be "banned" or put on the index, but since this is a videogame website other cases are never reported here.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Labyrinth said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
I'm going to assume that you're being incredibly sarcastic with this.
Sarcastic and ironic. After all, the generation who grew up with the 'Stones, and hence most liable to influence are in their 50s and 60s. This is the dominant policy-making demographic and while the Stones were particularly popular in England, above that of their popularity in Germany, the joke retains humour despite integrity flaws.
You scared me for a second there. Such an influencial band. I'venot always loved their music, but I can see what people love about them so much. I can't help but get a good Stones craving from time to time. It's a shame to see the games being censored so though

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
I'm German and I could care less about that game. I don't care about my government "banning" video games (I say banning in parenthesis because, normally, they will be put on a special list and you can still buy them but under stricter conditions. They won't be on store shelves however), I don't care about them censoring the games because I can get and prefer the original version.
But what is that with steam? You would force me to play an inferior product because you don't trust and don't check that I am old enough to make my own decisions? That I am an adult who can tell the difference between reality and fiction?
Steam? What...the...hell.
Insert obligatory Nazi joke, hurr hurr hurr.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Shycte said:
I don't get this thing cencorship. I mean, it's rated M and I thought adults could think for themself?

Shame Germany, shame. Then again, it would seem that Angela Merkel is loosing it...
... Meh. While I agree with the gist of your argument, they really only wheel out the banhammer when the game in question is both really big and really graphically realistic, and personally I can live with that. It's immensely arbitrary.
Of course, that doesn't mean I like censorship like this any better on principle, it's just that most of the games I like tend to not get noticed by the thought police.

Btw, Merkel is not responsible for this nonsense. Mainly it's the politicians in charge of family affairs, education, matters related to children, what have you.