Get Out of Your Comfort Zone for 2016

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Yahtzee forgot to mention Splatoon in this Article. I'm not a fan of it, but I know enough to know that it took some weird approaches to map distribution and the way the objectives are met is a real departure in itself from the usual trying-to-recapture-GoldenEye again that Arena-Consoles always find themselves dwelling in year after year. The mechanics in general are surprisingly liberal

In the new year, I'm expecting For-Honor to eventually catch up with him mainly b/c of all the Darksouls he's played and gradually embraced like BrusselSprouts ... even if its meta just turns into a Parry-Fishing Fest

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
I'm not particularly worried. All these movements in art are cyclic.
1. Some new thing comes along that's familiar enough that people will take notice but does something new.
2. People love new, it becomes the next big thing. Critics talk about it, it becomes popular.
3. Other creators copy it, improve upon it.
4. It becomes a genre.
5. Then it starts to attract criticism for being formulaic. You get the post-genre.
6. People look for something new...

The golden age of hollywood. The New York film movement of the 70's. Nintendo home-console platformers. Point-and-click adventures. PC 3D Doom/Quake shooters. Open world GTA. Action Adventure Tomb Raider to Uncharted. Halo's and COD's multiplayer. iOS games (you can hate them but more people have played Angry Birds than nearly any other game, except Tetris). Wii games, guitar hero. All art forms are fads if they're popular.

Assassin's Creed was 'new' at one point. Narrative games like Undertale, Her Story, Gone Home seem to be rising. I'm not worried because what it means is that there is more, of everything. If you were to go back 10 years and look at the types of games you could play it's a fraction of what's available today. The problem is more an issue of personal validation, wanting EVERYONE to agree that the game YOU love is a good game, objectively. If it exists, and you love it, that's good enough. You can hope people make more of the stuff you like but there's no reason to think that the things you like will become mainstream. Does it really matter if they don't?