Get SimCity 2000 For Free On PC Right Now!

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
K-lusive said:
If it takes you 5 minutes of time (time = money) and your emailaddress to register (along with another 5 minutes later on to un-subscribe from unsollicited weekly newsletters) it makes the game feel a lot more expensive than 'free'.
I have never once spent five minutes unsubscribing from any weekly newsletters, nor have I received any from Origin.
I have wasted many more than 5 minutes finding a way to get rid of newsletters in some cases. I'll be honest and say I've not noticed unsollicited Origin mail (partly because I hardly ever use that emailaddress anymore). If they do indeed not spam you, kudo's for that.

In the end though, if I have to leave my emailaddress I consider a free game to be as free as the Ipad some banner tells me I won.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
I've already got steam on my computer. I don't want another program to just to manage more games sitting on my hard drive. That and I'm still leery over the whole accusation of installing spyware thing that hit EA over Origin. So for me, it isn't blind hatred like from some posters on this thread.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm afraid I must decline this game as EA went all viking style and raped and pillaged their way through my city.

[sub]Seriously though, it's a free game, and I have no idea what people's massive problem with EA/Origin is now. I sure as shit picked it up.[/sub]

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Somethingfake said:
I've already got steam on my computer. I don't want another program to just to manage more games sitting on my hard drive. That and I'm still leery over the whole accusation of installing spyware thing that hit EA over Origin. So for me, it isn't blind hatred like from some posters on this thread.
If you don't want spyware on your computer you might want to remove Steam then as well for the EULA is as far as I can understand identical to what Origin's is.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
K-lusive said:
I have wasted many more than 5 minutes finding a way to get rid of newsletters in some cases.
Weirdly enough, I've had zero problems. Of course, I read what I was signing up for when I signed up, and it takes half a second to untick the box in question.

In the end though, if I have to leave my emailaddress I consider a free game to be as free as the Ipad some banner tells me I won.
Except those also require money, but if you want to consider the two equal, I can't really stop you. It's just you know, not honest.

Somethingfake said:
That and I'm still leery over the whole accusation of installing spyware thing that hit EA over Origin.
Sanunes said:
If you don't want spyware on your computer you might want to remove Steam then as well for the EULA is as far as I can understand identical to what Origin's is.
Yeah, this kills me. The story was basically "EA has evil terms of service!"

And then people said "but wait, these are the same terms you've been agreeing to for years on Steam."

So people decided "but Gaben would never do that! And Half-Life 3 is coming any day now!"

People are very, very quick to excuse virtually anything that Valve does.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Sweet, another free game.
Thanks Origin/EA/EAOrigin/Satan.

I mean, I'll never play it but if I ever want to, at least I'll have it there because I love free shit.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Jesus fucking christ people.

I always used to say that the intractable problem with piracy is that it provides the most basic of human wants: something for nothing. Now it seems even that isn't enough for some people. No wonder the word "entitled" has become such a thing.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
arc1991 said:
Bindal said:
arc1991 said:
It's a Free. Fucking. Game.
Not free if it requires Origin to run.
Correct me if i am wrong, But you don't pay a thing to download origin, or create an account with them.
It's Origin. I used it already and it was a terrible program.
So, it would cost me time to download, install, use it to install the game over the next half an hour (because the download times on that thing are simply horrible for me), then spend time figure out how to uninstall origin again without making the game unplayable...
Yeah, seems pretty expensive on the "time"-part for a "free game". And all because of Origin.
Mind you that I am someone, who doesn't have a problem with uPlay (mostly because you play says 'Oh, you're done playing? Alright, bye' following by uPlay quitting - not minimizing, quitting.)

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
This somewhat puts me in mind of the "First one is always free" method the Crack Dealer uses to hook new customers.

EA clearly get that the biggest barrier to people using Origin to purchase games is them not wanting the damn bloatware in their PC, so rather than fix the isses with Origin they have decided to give something away as an incentive to get people to download the software, (theoretically) removing the biggest barrier to them making more Origin purchases.

As I imagine they were making little money from SC2000 really there is no downside. Even if it doesn't work in hooking people on Origin there is still a good chance it will generate some GOG sales, not to mention reminding people of when the franchise didn't suck ass can only be a good thing for any future version.

Personally Origin, Uplay, Steam, all that bloatware bullshit is the reason I went back to consoles last gen. Now the only PC gaming I do is when I can get an old game running from disk or if I can get it from GOG.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Bindal said:
arc1991 said:
So by your logic Team Fortress 2 isn't a free game either, as that requires Steam.

Honestly if getting a free game on a free account from a free program doesn't count as free, I am not sure what does.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Redlin5 said:
I would rather pay GoG 3 times that games retail value than install Origin on my system and receive it for free.
EA probably benefits more that way, so I'm not sure that's the burn you think it is.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
TallanKhan said:
This somewhat puts me in mind of the "First one is always free" method the Crack Dealer uses to hook new customers.

EA clearly get that the biggest barrier to people using Origin to purchase games is them not wanting the damn bloatware in their PC, so rather than fix the isses with Origin they have decided to give something away as an incentive to get people to download the software, (theoretically) removing the biggest barrier to them making more Origin purchases.

As I imagine they were making little money from SC2000 really there is no downside. Even if it doesn't work in hooking people on Origin there is still a good chance it will generate some GOG sales, not to mention reminding people of when the franchise didn't suck ass can only be a good thing for any future version.

Personally Origin, Uplay, Steam, all that bloatware bullshit is the reason I went back to consoles last gen. Now the only PC gaming I do is when I can get an old game running from disk or if I can get it from GOG.
I just wanted to know I respect the fact you classify them all as the same thing.

I think all platforms have their pros and cons for unlike a console I can still go back and play my older games from last generation if I want to because my PC can still run most of my DOS games if I run an application like DOS box, which I lose out on with consoles. I think Origin will be on par with Steam for a lot of things if they can start to develop a much larger back library and get some indie titles too, for I have grown tired of the feeling with Steam that I am just a wallet and once they have my money they don't care.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
jackpipsam said:
Honestly if getting a free game on a free account from a free program doesn't count as free, I am not sure what does.
Well, anything BUT Origin, obviously.

StANDY1338

Sep 25, 2006
Origin actually have been pretty good to me as a consumer. I was complaining that I couldn't get my command and conquer games to register on Origin and they gave me the ultimate collection for free. They gave me dragon age origins for free to be honest they are pretty nice.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
If there's one thing I'd like from these "free game" news is for them to put "On Origin" in the title, so I can just stop clicking them altogether.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Bindal said:
arc1991 said:
Bindal said:
arc1991 said:
Correct me if i am wrong, But you don't pay a thing to download origin, or create an account with them.
So, it would cost me time to download, install, use it to install the game over the next half an hour (because the download times on that thing are simply horrible for me), then spend time figure out how to uninstall origin again without making the game unplayable...
Yeah, seems pretty expensive on the "time"-part for a "free game". And all because of Origin.
Mind you that I am someone, who doesn't have a problem with uPlay (mostly because you play says 'Oh, you're done playing? Alright, bye' following by uPlay quitting - not minimizing, quitting.)
Jesus.

Think i have just found the problem. And it isn't EA. Shockingly enough.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
arc1991 said:
Bindal said:
arc1991 said:
Bindal said:
arc1991 said:
Jesus.

Think i have just found the problem. And it isn't EA. Shockingly enough.
It is. Or rather, it is Origin. I already had to deal with it - and I couldn't get rid of the damn thing fast enough. Ever since, I refuse to use it.