Get Your First Look at Supergirl With This 6-Minute Teaser

CommanderZx2

Dec 13, 2014
Rebel_Raven said:
I like it. It's empowering, has some heart, and looks like it has great potential. Kinda wondering how her costume will evolve as time goes on. In the promo pic, she had tights under the skirt, after all. Cozza upskirt issues when flying.
Will she change outfits as often as her comicbook counterpart does? That'd be kinda awesome.
It's a pity that Mike Maihack never got an opportunity to turn Batgirl & Supergirl into a real comic book series.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Your voluminous buttocks aside (FYI your avatar is one of my favourites around here :p ) - there have been talks about having Supergirl join the Arrow/Flash-verse. Which I'd be all for, considering Arrow seems to have stolen my TV viewing time and refuses to give it back...

(Of course, that would also suggest that Superman is somewhere in the Arrow/Flash-verse, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.)

OT: "Oh, come on!" sold it for me. I am definitely watching this when it becomes available :)
That'd work just fine for me. I'm not up-to-date on Arrow and Flash, since I refuse to watch German dubs on TV and as such have to wait for the DVD sets to be released here, but ever since the CW DC-verse opened itself up to all the supernatural stuff of comic book lore, big-name draws like Superman have become fair game, I suppose. And I love Arrow, so bring it on. This new Supergirl show looks to have a lot of potential for both action and fun, so I'm looking forward to it. ^^

P-89 Scorpion said:
Superman will be appearing in the show it's just not the superman from the films this may crossover with the CW's Arrow and Flash.
Really? Seemed to be snippets from the film in that trailer, but... yeah, fine. I'm all for it, anyway. The CW's hero shows are pretty good (imo), and the added length of a TV show allows for more character development than a 2-hour movie, so why not go for an all-out superhero romp on a sizeable TV budget? For all we know, the Superman appearing in the TV shows might be received far better than the movie guy. I say bring it on!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
In the promo pic, she had tights under the skirt, after all. Cozza upskirt issues when flying.
You mean this promo pic? Because it's the same outfit she has as her final outfit in the trailer.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The question that came to my mind wasn't anything to do with the main character. The show seems perfectly serviceable as a CW girl-power flick, standard fare if it wasn't on CBS. No. What came to my mind was "Calista Flockhart's still alive? Who-wha-HOW?" That woman looks as unhealthy as she ever was. Just creepy.

Tanklover

Nov 10, 2013
Looks pretty awesome if you ask me, looks kinda like Flash, I really hope it's not as corny/nerdy as Flash has been for the last few episodes. AND I hope they avoid doing cross overs with the other DC characters, that trailer for the legends of tomorrow or whatever looked SO corny and stupid, felt like I was watching power ranges trying to pretend they are cool and taking themselves WAY too seriously. I'll enjoy this show a lot more, looking forward to it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Wuvlycuddles said:
Doesn't look as bad as that Wonder Woman pilot..... so thats something.....
Between that, Gangrene Lantern, and Man of Steel...I just can't find it in me to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.
And the common element, the common point of failure between ALL OF THOSE is the writing.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I really don't understand what tone this is aiming for.

First we have the completely serious & sad "being sent to earth away from parents", then skip ahead a decade or two and now its a female rom-com (but she has superpowers), complete with lesbian jokes. That's in there for a bit, then it's back to super serious "monsters with nightmare powers", "I can help you stop them" she said with a fire in her eyes and orchestral music in the background. Whats-his-face doesn't let her, and her reaction is to sit around and mope, as is common in rom-coms, but usually cause she just got cheated on or dumped - not because the mean guys won't let her save the day.

Then back to happy-go-lucky "I'm gonna fight crime anyway, weeeeeee".

I get the feeling this is gonna be all over the place. It's like 3 or 4 different people sat down to plan this, but before the meeting they had all decided in their heads what it would be like and none of them wanted to budge on what they'd thought up.

NeutralStasis

Sep 23, 2014
I know a number of people did not like this at all. But I thought it looked pretty decent. The fact it was not so "Dark and Gritty" that I felt a shower was needed after watching the trailer was pretty nice. It was colorful...like I don't know....comic books. I look forward to watching this show with my daughter next fall.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
LetalisK said:
Rebel_Raven said:
In the promo pic, she had tights under the skirt, after all. Cozza upskirt issues when flying.
You mean this promo pic? Because it's the same outfit she has as her final outfit in the trailer.
I didn't notice the red tights, but I guess the scene was super brief... ha, superbriefs.

CommanderZx2 said:
Rebel_Raven said:
I like it. It's empowering, has some heart, and looks like it has great potential. Kinda wondering how her costume will evolve as time goes on. In the promo pic, she had tights under the skirt, after all. Cozza upskirt issues when flying.
Will she change outfits as often as her comicbook counterpart does? That'd be kinda awesome.
It's a pity that Mike Maihack never got an opportunity to turn Batgirl & Supergirl into a real comic book series.
Agreed. The style in general is frikking adorable! And they really are a neat team.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
I didn't notice the red tights, but I guess the scene was super brief... ha, superbriefs.
*scratches head* Red tights? Those look black to me. I assumed they were just thin tights/borderline stockings and were showing some of her natural skin color through them.

Edit: Also, I wanted to make this comment about the "They're abusing female tropes" type comments on the internet about this show. They're not abusing female tropes. They're abusing teenager/young adult coming of age drama tropes that have been here since the 80s. This is what Smallville was. This is what 90210 was(the ensemble variant). They all follow this formula. Some just add superpowers.

The only one I can think of might stick out is the whole "works for overbearing boss" schtick. But even that is not a female trope(and that's even assuming it is a series long thing, which it doesn't seem like it will be but I can't say for certain because we can't tell from this trailer). Besides it being a Spiderman bread and butter, it's a trope used all the time, the most recently in my memory is Horrible Bosses. It's much more ubiquitous than just Devil Wears Prada and Ugly Betty, but our mind is trained to hone in on the unique, not the common. We're honing in on the fact there is a woman lead at all and then making assumptions because of the trope we find her in.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Sonicron said:
First Superman movie turns out really dark and gritty. Official voices declare humor to be out of bounds for DC projects in general.
People ***** and moan.

Supergirl series appears to reintroduce the concept of levity, completely in harmony with the source material's main character.
People ***** and moan. -__-

The internet really does know what it wants.
It wants things to complain about.
^ So accurate. A question though: Now that we have both elements, will both factions find something to like and chill -- or ALL OF THE COMPLAINING ALL OF THE TIME? Heh.

There is probably some "Awe man this is for girls..." sentiment thrown around out there for good measure too. To which I would say, "So? It's ok to make superhero stuff for girls. We got plenty." I mean the original SG movie was definitely girly. Very, very girly.

So this could be cool. But did they really think the audience was so stupid that they had to show a baby with a greased down cow lick to show that was Super Man, WHILST SHE WAS BLOODY TALKING ABOUT BABY SUPER MAN? REALLY? LIKE HE WAS BORN WITH THAT SHIT? That's some Star Trek Nemesis level garbage. I don't know how much I can take of her boss though... She's appropriately horrible, and that's the character, and I get that; but still... And the situation seems a little too on the nose when most of the other material seemed more cleaver than that.

I love the trial and error bit with the suit A LOT though. It seemed pretty perfect. THAT'S how I think a superhero would really go about it. Nice going there. And I also like that they didn't do the whole cliché - noone knows because noone can talk to each other about anything ever - routine.

But yah, all-in-all it looks like good, harmless, silly fun.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
LetalisK said:
Rebel_Raven said:
*scratches head* Red tights? Those look black to me. I assumed they were just thin tights/borderline stockings and were showing some of her natural skin color through them.

Edit: Also, I wanted to make this comment about the "They're abusing female tropes" type comments on the internet about this show. They're not abusing female tropes. They're abusing teenager/young adult coming of age drama tropes that have been here since the 80s. This is what Smallville was. This is what 90210 was(the ensemble variant). They all follow this formula. Some just add superpowers.

The only one I can think of might stick out is the whole "works for overbearing boss" schtick. But even that is not a female trope(and that's even assuming it is a series long thing, which it doesn't seem like it will be but I can't say for certain because we can't tell from this trailer). Besides it being a Spiderman bread and butter, it's a trope used all the time, the most recently in my memory is Horrible Bosses. It's much more ubiquitous than just Devil Wears Prada and Ugly Betty, but our mind is trained to hone in on the unique, not the common. We're honing in on the fact there is a woman lead at all and then making assumptions because of the trope we find her in.
They look like very dark red tights to me. Either way they clash like crazy with the rest of her outfit, IMO. A diffirent color would likely suit better, or some other alternative to prevent panty shots while flying. But there's no telling where her costume will go, I suppose.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Really not sure if I like it. Seems kinda 'ehhh'. Not sure why they chose the meek nerdy girl archetype for Kara, it seems pretty out of place. She also doesn't seem to have any real level of fitness at all. Seriously, look at Clark. He's a big, fit guy who doesn't ever work out. Kara should at least be gym fit, right?

And the 'SuperGIRL' thing does seem kind of silly. So we name the young male 'Superman' but the young female becomes 'Supergirl'. At least in the comics it was because she was still like seventeen or something. The costume seems a bit weird too.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Doom972 said:
This trailer made me cringe a lot. It's Not-Ugly Betty with superpowers. Also, I've seen cosplayers who look more convincing.

I don't know if that's how she was in the comics because I didn't read them, but I remember liking her character in the 90s Superman cartoon.
That's the 3rd? supergirl go watch the big picture Bob did two episodes on supergirl.
Sort of. Her attitude and likeness are the same, but she doesn't have the same backstory.

Feb 26, 2014
I'm no longer interested. Doesn't seem like my type of show. I'll still watch the first 3-5 episodes, but I don't think it's going to be able to keep my interest for long. Oh well, I still have The Legends of Tomorrow, Flash, Arrow, AoS, and, hopefully, Vixen and AKA Jessica Jones to look forward to.

YicklePigeon

Jan 3, 2012
Alar said:
Really not sure if I like it. Seems kinda 'ehhh'. Not sure why they chose the meek nerdy girl archetype for Kara, it seems pretty out of place. She also doesn't seem to have any real level of fitness at all. Seriously, look at Clark. He's a big, fit guy who doesn't ever work out. Kara should at least be gym fit, right?

And the 'SuperGIRL' thing does seem kind of silly. So we name the young male 'Superman' but the young female becomes 'Supergirl'. At least in the comics it was because she was still like seventeen or something. The costume seems a bit weird too.
Agreed. That whole "I'm a girl and I'm a boss/powerful/blah blah" bit was so forced and ham-fisted. It also screams to me as DC trying to appeal to the supposed female demographic (the one that marketing came up with, not necessarily representative of any honest-to-goodness human beings), where instead she should be Superwoman if only for real equality and to give the connotation that this Kara is an adult and the costume could have had her actually wearing the long pants, to further convey she's not a child. Then again, her reaction to being discovered and showing off her powers...*sigh*

To my mind, this is very much a missed opportunity. :\ I'll stick with the animated stuff when it comes to DC, and (almost) everything Marvel for the more grown-up stories/treatments.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Messing said:
I would have watched this movie just to see how people had portrayed her within this context, because to be honest, Kara is such an interesting character that I would not mind seeing her being portrayed, but this ENTIRE TRAILER just spoiled every major plot point in the movie. If it had just been her arriving on Earth and realising her powers, along with a little help from superman, then I would have been ok with it,but this has literally spoiled every twist any turn in the movie to the point where I don't even care anymore...seriously I don't get it...
This isn't a movie, it's a TV show.