Get Your First Look at Supergirl With This 6-Minute Teaser

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I wanted to like this. I really did.

Don't get me wrong. It looks like it will hold my interest longer than Constantine did, but I get a lot of red flags on this. Her character seems to be trying to channel Arrow's Felicity but isn't quite as amusing. The humor feels forced and off (seriously, about that lesbian line: if your joke sounds like a rifftrax comment, don't use it). But he big one, while I hope is just for the marketing, is the overplay of the "female superhero" and the problems within. After Agent Carter, I'm very wary of that premise for fear of how heavy and one dimensionally may be played. I mean, if you want this to be fun, you don't want to copy the Smallville formula of constantly knocking the main character back and keeping them from coming into their own, and if Supergirl falls into the "it's hard to be a girl" bit, that's all that will happen. Frankly I'd have preferred her in the Cat Grant role like how the current Power Girl incarnation ran a multi billion dollar corporation.

Action looks decent for TV, but the only thing I could say I look forward to is the use of the DEO. Come on Bones. I want to see your skeleton mug on screen, as well as Agent Chase in a frenemy role.

Virtual Boy

Feb 21, 2015
What was up with Jimmy Olsen? How did he go from Superman's dorky, little, ginger buddy to big, buff, handsome, black guy? If you're not going to make him anything remotely like the original character why use him at all?

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
No. Just no. All I've seen looks so wrong I cannot even tell what's wronger then anything else. The girl is wrong. The tone is wrong. The suit is wrong. Even the plane is wrong!

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Well the butthurt fans aren't wrong - the entire first half of that trailer was cringey as hell. Of the three women we're presented, Kara's super awkward and '70s degrees of nerdy to boot, her boss is obnoxious and shallow (and come ON, that's not just any blonde there, that's Sarah Michelle Gellar) and the only one who is both confident AND likeable is immediately turned into a damsel in distress. Anyone looking for a sexist angle is gonna have a field day with this.

On the upside, this seems to be a coming-of-age/self-discovery story, so hopefully after the first episode we'll see more of her doing what she does in the second half: shrugging off bullets with a grin, blowing shit up and saving lives - not to mention asserting herself at least a bare minimum.

Having seen the original Supergirl movie (not brilliant, but at least she didn't have all those confidence issues at 24) I'm a little disappointed, a little impressed and a little hopeful. I'll be interested to see how this one pans out.