Getting Furious Over "Girlfriend Mode"

Landshark1

Mar 16, 2011
Moonlight Butterfly said:
They were basically saying all women who play games are idiots and only play because their boyfriend is playing.
Okay, now you're just exaggerating. The idea behind the "BFF mode" is that someone who isn't as good at videogames gets to play on par with someone who is better, leading to less headaches and more overall enjoyment. While it was in poor taste to refer to it as a "girlfriend mode" due to the many other demographics who can make use out of it, you should not consider it an attack against all women who play video games. And you really shouldn't be assuming that Gearbox thinks all women who play their games only do it for a man's enjoyment. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109518-Gearbox-Forces-Claptrap-to-Help-Man-Propose]

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Landshark1 said:
They were basically saying all women who play games are idiots and only play because their boyfriend is playing.
Okay, now you're just exaggerating. The idea behind the "BFF mode" is that someone who isn't as good at videogames gets to play on par with someone who is better, leading to less headaches and more overall enjoyment. While it was in poor taste to refer to it as a "girlfriend mode" due to the many other demographics who can make use out of it, you should not consider it an attack against all women who play video games. And you really shouldn't be assuming that Gearbox thinks all women who play their games only do it for a man's enjoyment. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109518-Gearbox-Forces-Claptrap-to-Help-Man-Propose]
Oh I don't think that was the intention of the mode. On twitter they made it clear that the dev was telling an anecdote about his girlfriend and the press changed it to 'girlfriend mode' presumably to get more hits.

However those are the implications of someone calling it 'girlfriend mode' If that's what it was called in game. Before Gearbox explained themselves I think people had a right to be angry about it. I'm not mad at them and I'm looking forward to B2, but I was pretty angry at first.

Hope that makes sense.

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
This whole thing is incredibly stupid. A designer called a skilltree in Borderlands 2 girlfriend mode. Not girl mode by the way, girlfriend mode. He's not actually saying women are shit at games. He's saying people who are in a relationship might want their partners to be able to enjoy BL2 while not being particularly skilled at it.

Let me tell you about all the anecdotal experience this guy gets. He goes to Gamescom and sees guys play his game. He goes on forums like this and sees that the overwhelming majority of users and even the overwhelming majority of content creators are male. He looks at the gaming industry at large and sees that the only female, remotely famous developer he can think of is someone like Jade Raymond. Oh wait, nobody cares about Jade Raymond anymore. In fact, you've probably forgotten who she is after you read about her game, Assassin's Creed.

I know that when guys read all these sensationalist articles and get all these accusations by journalists and people like Anita Sarkeesian, it's natural to pretend that the reality is this kind of flowery, equal world. But we're not there yet, guys. Really. You know there aren't actually as many female gamers as there are male ones. What someone like Zydrate now implies with statements like "Hrrng" is that if we acknowledge that this is how it is, that means we say this is how it is supposed to be. And that's not actually true. It's the same reason there's this huge resistance to evolutionary psychology. You automatically jump to a godwin-esque accusation scheme of sorts. Admitting that we're not quite there yet and admitting that it's pretty damn understandable and actually justified that someone like this dev would say girlfriend mode instead of boyfriend mode is an important step in moving away from this onesidedness. If you make yourself believe that gamers are an equal-gendered audience because it makes you feel less like the asshole Anita Sarkeesian is saying you are, we'll never get to a point where we can actually come to any kind of conclusion about what we can do about this.

This is pretense. "Hrrng" is pretense. It's the worst kind of "I don't need to defend my position, I'm right because me being right is the more desirable state of affairs for both of us" arguing that ignores real problems because admitting they exist is uncomfortable and leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. Tough shit. Let's actually look into why this guy said what he said, instead of screaming misogynyst at him like he's some kind of weirdo who hates women.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Tiamat666 said:
In the minds of many, Hemingway was proving the existence of the casual sexism that is endemic in videogame development and culture by playing off the tired stereotype that women either don't play or are bad at shooters.
That's not a sexist, tired stereotype, that is a fact. All gamer-girls I know don't play shooters. Those who do, may be good at them, I don't know because I have never seen one. But it is known that males have a better spacial sense than females on average.

I play tons of shooters. According to my Raptr it's my most played Genre...
There you go! You have met one, happy now?

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
BENZOOKA said:
Political correctness gone fucking mad.
Well as long as everything is catered to you I guess it's all okay.

That's bloody stupid.
Except that's not what they were saying.

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
Tiamat666 said:
In the minds of many, Hemingway was proving the existence of the casual sexism that is endemic in videogame development and culture by playing off the tired stereotype that women either don't play or are bad at shooters.
That's not a sexist, tired stereotype, that is a fact. All gamer-girls I know don't play shooters. Those who do, may be good at them, I don't know because I have never seen one. But it is known that males have a better spacial sense than females on average.

It's always nice when people provide the evidence for their point that they condemn when an opponent brings it. Delicious hypocrisy.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Tiamat666 said:

It's always nice when people provide the evidence for their point that they condemn when an opponent brings it. Delicious hypocrisy.
My raptr is on my profile page, knock yourself out.

But lemurs exist. Honest.

see.

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Tiamat666 said:

My raptr is on my profile page, knock yourself out.

But lemurs exist. Honest.
You didn't even understand what I was saying, bravo. It's not about whether or not you actually play a lot of FPS. It's about the fact that you're countering anecdotes with anecdotes.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I'm not a girl but honestly, this 'girlfriend mode' sounds appealing to me. I'm one of those people who pick the easiest mode in shooters because I find the shooting the most boring part of the game. Easier mode means I get shot less and get to move on with the game faster. And unlike real puzzles - you know, like ones where you actually need to use your brain - it's not like being able to move your mouse accurately and quickly to click on a target is a skill I cherish or consider the least bit important.

So if I was a girl I'd consider it a compliment that people think my entire sex sucks at shooters.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
I'm not a girl but honestly, this 'girlfriend mode' sounds appealing to me. I'm one of those people who pick the easiest mode in shooters because I find the shooting the most boring part of the game. Easier mode means I get shot less and get to move on with the game faster. And unlike real puzzles - you know, like ones where you actually need to use your brain - it's not like being able to move your mouse accurately and quickly to click on a target is a skill I cherish or consider the least bit important.
I don't think anyone is knocking the actual idea of the mode just if it was called 'girlfriend mode' which has some nasty implications.

It's not called girlfriend mode and therefore the whole concept is fine by me.

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Err I did understand that but I gave actual proof hence me saying my raptr is on my profile, that's not an anecdote...it's proof :|
.... do you know what an anecdote even is? This being an anecdote is not about its truth contingent, it's about its relevancy. When a guy says "I haven't met many female gamers", it's his experience as a single person. His single experience says absolutely nothing. When you counter with "I play games and I'm a girl", it's about your experience as a single person. It says absolutely nothing and is as irrelevant as him saying he doesn't know many female gamers. Whether or not your pull out your raptr profile, it's still about you alone. Your personal raptr profile represents nobody but yourself, so it's anecdotal. Regardless of whether you play a certain genre or not.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Today I learned Hemmingway is the only person ever to imply something may or may not be useful in a situation wherein you wish to do something with your girlfriend and you should all be extremely offended by this.

Are you people serious?

Like, honestly, you're actually upset over this?

What next "Gifts for her" is offensive for it implies that women can't buy their own gifts?

It was a nick name for the skill tree, something which the development team could relate to.

Because, being a gamer, we're all familiar with the situation of having to bring somebody foreign to the media to play with us.

In this case, they used girlfriends as an example.

Is that really so hard to grasp?

There was no sinisterness to it, nothing snide or mean, it was just a guy who was used to being in more understanding company sharing an idea with the world, only to find the irrational and closed minded people completely ignore what a great idea this is and focus instead on the example the name demonstrates.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Yeah but the fact is he was saying 'women don't play shooters because I haven't met any that do' which is the same as saying lemurs don't exist because I've never personally seen one.

The fact is, even if both of our stories are personal, at least mine is based in logic and fact...-.-

Clearly there is at least one woman who plays shooters. Because she's right here, and therefore, his initial statement is wrong.

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Yeah but the fact is he was saying 'women don't play shooters because I haven't met any that do' which is the same as saying lemurs don't exist because I've never personally seen one.

The fact is, even if both of our stories are personal, at least mine is based in logic and fact...-.-
I just explained why it doesn't matter how true your story is. I'm pretty sure when someone says he's never met any female gamers, he's not lying. By saying that he isn't implying they don't exist. He's saying he hasn't met them.

He's not actually saying Lemurs don't exist because he hasn't seem them. That's what you're pretending he's saying so you can make fun of his statement. He's saying he hasn't seen any, so he presumes they're rare.

Don't twist what people are saying or pretend they imply something they don't just so you have an easier time arguing on the internet.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Tiamat666 said:

I'm sorry but you're just super fucking wrong.

Almost all the original "emprical evidence" suggesting differences in cognitive ability between males and females has been [a href="http://phys.org/news/2011-08-disputes-notion-men-spatial-women.html"]highly contested[/a] numerous times in the last few decades. In some visual tests women seem to do better, sometimes worse, but never with any reliable consistency. On top of that when differences are spotted it is essentially impossible to determine what is biological and what is cultural. By all indications women are just as good as men in mathematics and most related fields.

Now that is "a fact".

Landshark1

Mar 16, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Num1d1um said:
Err I did understand that but I gave actual proof hence me saying my raptr is on my profile, that's not an anecdote...it's proof :|
.... do you know what an anecdote even is? This being an anecdote is not about its truth contingent, it's about its relevancy. When a guy says "I haven't met many female gamers", it's his experience as a single person. His single experience says absolutely nothing. When you counter with "I play games and I'm a girl", it's about your experience as a single person. It says absolutely nothing and is as irrelevant as him saying he doesn't know many female gamers. Whether or not your pull out your raptr profile, it's still about you alone. Your personal raptr profile represents nobody but yourself, so it's anecdotal. Regardless of whether you play a certain genre or not.
While we both agree that circumstantial evidence is never a solid foundation for the start of an argument, couldn't it be argued that, when someone else presents their own personal experiences as irrefutable proof of their position, countering that position with your own personal experiences is a good way to prove that their personal experiences mean absolutely nothing?

Num1d1um

Jun 23, 2011
Landshark1 said:
Num1d1um said:
Num1d1um said:
snip
While we both agree that circumstantial evidence is never a solid foundation for the start of an argument, couldn't it be argued that, when someone else presents their own personal experiences as irrefutable proof of their position, countering that position with your own personal experiences is a good way to prove that their personal experiences mean absolutely nothing?
If you think that countering bad arguments with bad arguments is good debating, sure. The thing is just, it's not. It's the most lazy and intellectually bankrupt way of doing it. It's akin to answering an insult like "I f-ed your mom" with "well I f-ed yours twice". It's cheap, reflects poorly on you and you really shouldn't do it unless you have absolutely no other way of demonstrating the weakness of an argument. Note also that this often leads to more or less intentional strawmen argument and misrepresentations of what the opposition said, mainly because it's always easier to make fun of something you've spun a little to sound more asenine than it originally did. Considering how uptight this forums seems to me, I'd expect more from the people here than that.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Num1d1um said:
Nooo pretty sure he was saying he's never met any female gamers who don't play shooters and therefore implying that they are correct in assuming don't women play or enjoy shooters... I didn't twist what he was saying at all.

-.-

Fiery Killer

Dec 25, 2010
BENZOOKA said:
Political correctness gone fucking mad.
No. That is not what they were saying. At all.

I've never actually played Borderlands, but if I'm not mistaken isn't a bloody shooter kind of manly type of game? Seems like a place where a mode like that being called "Girlfriend mode" would be kind of humorous. If my girlfriend wanted to join, and I activated it, we would both laugh at the name.

Either way, it doesn't insult women's ability to play games, at all. Let's see it in this context. I'm half way through Borderlands and my girlfriend wants to give it a shot. My girlfriend has actually played more than her fair share of shooters and knows how to handle one. But that doesn't mean she knows how to play Borderlands. She doesn't know the specific mechanics of this game. This would put her at a disadvantage and she likely would not fare well.

That's something that could happen to ANYBODY. You can't throw anyone, no matter how much 'gaming' experience they have, in the middle of the game and expect them to do well enough to enjoy themselves. The girlfriend wanting to try is just a very classic example. Which is why I don't think it's offensive at all.

Either way, I'm very anti-censorship and believe they should be able to name it to whatever they want. They can name their hardest difficulty 'Jew Escape From Auschwitz' for all I care, if people wanted to take them down for it I would fully support them to go live with it. The game is rated M, it's meant for those 17 or older, it can be offensive as it wants. That's all I have to say.