Ghostbusters Director Calls Out "Assholes in Geek Culture"

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Pluvia said:
Hell I just went to check the trailer for Pixels: 87k likes, 12k dislikes. That terrible movie with its terrible trailer that uses things from the 80's? Suspiciously nowhere near as much dislikes as a trailer that has women in a new movie from a dead franchise.
I think the main difference there is Pixels wasn't a reboot of a beloved franchise. It was just a movie based on a short youtube movie with sandler, no one expected it to be good and so it wasn't worth the effort. This is just the perfect storm of a bad movie insulting a good movie. If adam sandler fronted a reboot of beetlejuice you'd expect number just like these if not worse.

But to put that aside let me ask you one thing; Is a movie that will contain a joke about a woman getting slime in her vagina (a real joke we have in the trailer) actually gonna be progressive? Hell does it sound like the writings of a competent comedy writer?

NoeL

May 14, 2011
ravenshrike said:
NoeL said:
He's absolutely right, and you don't have to look further than this very thread to see it.

Feig: God, these geeks that have been all over me since before the casting for making a female Ghostbusters movie are real assholes.
Responders: Well you shouldn't have made a shit trailer!

Oh come off it. AS IF he's referring solely to the trailer's reaction. He's been getting shit from geeks for "ruining" Ghostbusters from the very beginning, and he's absolutely right that those geeks are assholes.
Just because those geeks in question saw the mile tall writing eternally on fire on the side of the mountain before the trailer came out does not make them assholes. This baby was always gonna suck with Feig at the helm, the fact he went with a genderbent reboot just made it suck that much harder. The only director that would make it worse is Uwe Boll.
Horse shit - those assholes lost it the second a genderbent reboot was announced, long before Feig or anyone was attached to it. And yes, pre-emptively judging a movie based on that alone does make you an asshole.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
NoeL said:
Horse shit - those assholes lost it the second a genderbent reboot was announced, long before Feig or anyone was attached to it. And yes, pre-emptively judging a movie based on that alone does make you an asshole.
I'm sure there were a few assholes being assholes about females in staring roles, but the majority of the outcry only started when the awful trailer came out.

EDIT; tell a lie, there was quite a bit of outcry at the initial announcement but that was mostly about them rebooting the franchise to begin with. There are VERY few who anticipated a reboot being any good after GB3 was in development hell for about 3 decades.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
TsunamiWombat said:
See i'm torn, because he IS right - there's a strong 'asshole' element in geek culture - but at the same time, this has nothing to do with the current situation. Assholes are always assholes, this particular movie is just the special kind of bad that inspires nominally non-asshole individuals to treat it like they're assholes. By, y'know, being bad, and cliche, and trying to be a REBOOT of a cult classic. The women themselves are all kinds of talented and funny and I was/am 100% down with an all female team, the issue is the film you've put them in looks like garbage.
Relevant part put in bold... Ghostbusters was a box office smash hit, calling it a cult classic is like saying that Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope, Back to the Future, and Men In Black are cult classics. Cult classic movies are like The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Reefer Madness, movies that failed at the box office, but become pop-culture icons, usually because people find them so bad that they're ironically good. The other example of cult classics are beloved movies are like The Last StarFighter, a movie which bombed, but maintains a loyal fanbase and made more after it's box office run in later showings and on home video. Ghostbusters is not a cult classic, it's a blockbuster hit and a classic supernatural comedy.

OT: Well Feig is right, Geek/Nerd culture is a hot bed of hostility and assholery. This is plainly apparent and why many people who would like to adopt "geeky/nerdy" hobbies, refuse to because of the geek/nerd community itself. Internal fandoms are notoriously hostile, especially when there's a competing fandom, like how Warhammer 40,000 is with BattleTech, along with the famous inter-fandom hate between Trekkies and hardcore Star Wars fans. Even worse is the fact that anyone apparently female is harassed in the geek/nerd setting without mercy doesn't help in the slightest.

Still him claiming that the all female cast was a "coincidence" is a flat lie, the movie was announced to have an all female cast before casting even started. That doesn't excuse the way the film has been attacked since that announcement, mostly by internet misogynists and misogynistic geeks/nerds. Especially not when the prominence that misogyny has in the geek/nerd community, where I'm surprised that comic book stores and tabletop game hobby stores don't have "no girls allowed" signs on the damn doors.

Still a piss poor trailer and a blatant attempt at pandering to gender politics are the sorts of things that ensure a fanbase will shit itself as hard as it can, then go out witch hunting.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Still him claiming that the all female cast was a "coincidence" is a flat lie, the movie was announced to have an all female cast before casting even started. That doesn't excuse the way the film has been attacked since that announcement, mostly by internet misogynists and misogynistic geeks/nerds. Especially not when the prominence that misogyny has in the geek/nerd community, where I'm surprised that comic book stores and tabletop game hobby stores don't have "no girls allowed" signs on the damn doors.
How do you define misogyny? People not appreciating gender being the primary consideration during casting sound like they are the type of people who oppose sexism to me, or would it only be sexism if they purposely cast only white men?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Pluvia said:
WeepingAngels said:
You don't think the feminists would be raising hell if the film had 4 white men as the Ghostbusters? They raise hell when Milo shows up to speak. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86uGGkkycg
TIL Milo represents all white men and/or is a Ghostbuster.

That's about how relevant your post is.
I noticed that you didn't answer the question. Maybe you missed it?

Unanswered Question said:
You don't think the feminists would be raising hell if the film had 4 white men as the Ghostbusters?

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Pluvia said:
I don't get this "bad movie insulting a good movie" thing. How is it insulting a good movie? Does it go back and delete the old movie? What does it do?

Your questions is odd, I mean you ask if it's going to be "progressive"? Where did the "progressive" part come from? I don't think I've seen any marketing that has tried to cast it as being "progressive".
Well perhaps insulting is not the word, but perhaps "cheap" could be right, like a batman themed box of tissues. A product is using the name of a loved movie just to add sales, but with nothing of the original to actually support that name and validate the use of that brand.

The "progressive" part of my post was about the general message the director is trying to convey, and the general way the advertising and new announcements have been presented to us. This news is just the next step, the people who hated the terrible trailer are labels as "trolls" or "haters" and the genuine critique gets lumped together with this (not helped by the rumoured deletion of any critical comments by women).

Studios are getting more social media savvy and they know that it's easier to build a following if you pretend you're furthering a good cause. This makes it harder and harder for people to tell the genuine article of people making a genuine effort to make a good product from those who are just using their tokens as a shield from their shortcomings as a moviemaker.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Um...why the hell are so many posters adding a superfluous hyphen into the word coincidence? That's just weird. Stop it.

Barbas said:
Geek culture is being surrounded by assholes "calling out" other assholes, then you eventually put a gun to your own head or someone else's.
Isn't it funny how these people attempt to 'cash-in' on geek culture, but then act shocked when their shitty projects garner negative reactions from geek culture?

"Here's a thing I want people to judge and pay me money to see!"
- people judge the thing poorly -
"Ugh! Stop judging me! You're all assholes!"

Fuck right off, Feig.

TheLaughingMagician said:
Yeah and getting punched in the face is better than getting stabbed in the eye. Geek culture's still packed to the tits with cunts.
But then why make the distinction? Why single out "geek culture" if it's but a small example of the wider issue of human cultures being "packed to the tits with cunts"?

Seems like scapegoating to me. No wonder geeks get angry, if this is how people treat them...

BX3 said:
So I wanna call him a huge jerk that's generalizing an entire culture based on the poor reception to some dumb movie trailer, but....

Recently, pundits started a campaign to downvote the new movie's trailer into oblivion. At time of writing, its sitting at 200,000 "likes" and over 700,000 "dislikes.
...I wish we wouldn't make ourselves so gahdamn hard to defend....
Except, I can't find any evidence of this "campaign" anywhere, unless we want to consider Youtube comments as some sort of large scale collusion. It seems as though the notion of this "pundit campaign" is a complete fabrication on Mr. Bogus Bogos' part.

Which is not at all surprising, given his usual 'quality' of reporting.

Zhukov said:
I mean, he's not wrong. "Geek culture" does indeed house some of the most bitter and petty bastards on the planet.
As does any other culture, realistically. Again I wonder: Why make the distinction? I've never seen a mob of geeks riot, loot, and nearly burn down a city block, just because Batman V Superman was bad. But I have seen football fans do such a thing when their team loses. So why aren't we claiming sports culture houses some of the most bitter and petty (and dangerous) bastards on the planet?

People are assholes. I don't know why we can't accept that without trying to apply some kind of scapegoat-y reductionist filter on it.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Vigormortis said:
People are assholes. I don't know why we can't accept that without trying to apply some kind of scapegoat-y reductionist filter on it.
You've hit the nail on the head really, there are always assholes amongst any group of people and to act like the only way someone is allowed to not like something is if they only fraternize with the purest humans on the planet.

And let me tell you, Tibetan monks rarely post on youtube.

But as an aside, who is deciding all these comments come from "Geek Culture"? Did we all tick it as an option on the youtube accounts?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Roboshi said:
You've hit the nail on the head really, there are always assholes amongst any group of people and to act like the only way someone is allowed to not like something is if they only fraternize with the purest humans on the planet.

And let me tell you, Tibetan monks rarely post on youtube.
Hmph. Damn those monks. Such petty assholes. They're ruining everything!

But as an aside, who is deciding all these comments come from "Geek Culture"? Did we all tick it as an option on the youtube accounts?
You mean you didn't? I was under the impression that we all had to tick the check box beside the associative culture we most identify with before we could post.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Vigormortis said:
You mean you didn't? I was under the impression that we all had to tick the check box beside the associative culture we most identify with before we could post.
Didn't you hear? a 16 year old girl liked Benedict Cumberpatch as Kahn in the last Star Trek. Therefore all Trekkie Culture is racist.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
How do you define misogyny? People not appreciating gender being the primary consideration during casting sounds like they oppose sexism to me, or would it only be sexism if they purposely cast only white men?
Pretty simply I lay the definition of misogyny at the feet of people who actually believe women are inferior, don't deserve the right to vote, should stay at popping out babies and doing house work, and/or just plain hate women. That second question looks as loaded as the diapers of a toddler after discovering the chocolates in the bathroom. If someone writes a male character who is also white, then it's perfectly acceptable to only accept people who fall into those demographics. It only becomes sexist when you reject the idea that a woman can fill the same roles in films as a man, or default to blatant stereotyping, which is also how you apply that idea to racism, and other negative prejudices. I wouldn't call it sexist, or racist if they had chosen a pack of white guys for the new team, because that would follow the established dynamic anyways. Making all the Ghostbusters female seems kind of sexist, because as far as I can tell they're trying to pander. There is a big push currently for female inclusion in film and comedy, which has a tendency to end in pandering, instead of decently written characters that people are trying to include.

To be clear, a lot of the complaints, a staggering majority of th complaints aimed at this film are because they chose to make an all female cast. People are even calling this a gender swap, when the characters aren't the same characters from the original movie, but a brand new team of Ghostbusters. That is not gender swap, that's replacement. Still the huge backlash just on the idea of an all female Ghostbusters team is pretty much lodged in sexism and misogyny, because most of the complaints are about these new characters being female and only that.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
To be clear, a lot of the complaints, a staggering majority of th complaints aimed at this film are because they chose to make an all female cast. People are even calling this a gender swap, when the characters aren't the same characters from the original movie, but a brand new team of Ghostbusters. That is not gender swap, that's replacement. Still the huge backlash just on the idea of an all female Ghostbusters team is pretty much lodged in sexism and misogyny, because most of the complaints are about these new characters being female and only that.
The staggering majority of complaints were that the trailer looks like shit and I think the whole "genderbent" argument stems from the fact that the lines we have heard have been so poorly written they just fall into the basics of the archetypes the original cast occupied. (also the all female ghostbusters hinting at having a hot male working for them sorta doesn't help)

Also the complaints have not just been about the cast being female, there was also;
-Terrible ghost SFX
-Awful dubstep rendition of the classic theme
-Slime vagina joke that you'd expect from an Adam Sandler movie
-Slapstick humour that wouldn't entertain a 7 year old
-Rebooting a franchise after pretty much everyone with a lick of sense said it would be a terrible idea
-poor writing and editing in the trailer

This is what I mean, the actual critique of the movie is deflected because suddenly it's attacking these poor women and not the multibillion dollar industry that's pumped out another soulless reboot and is using these 4 actresses purely to deflect any criticism.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
How do you define misogyny? People not appreciating gender being the primary consideration during casting sounds like they oppose sexism to me, or would it only be sexism if they purposely cast only white men?
Pretty simply I lay the definition of misogyny at the feet of people who actually believe women are inferior, don't deserve the right to vote, should stay at popping out babies and doing house work, and/or just plain hate women.
Earlier you said:

You said:
That doesn't excuse the way the film has been attacked since that announcement, mostly by internet misogynists and misogynistic geeks/nerds.
You must have evidence that most of the people who "attacked the film" are people who actually believe women are inferior, don't deserve the right to vote, should stay at popping out babies and doing house work, and/or just plain hate women?

That second question looks as loaded as the diapers of a toddler after discovering the chocolates in the bathroom. If someone writes a male character who is also white, then it's perfectly acceptable to only accept people who fall into those demographics. It only becomes sexist when you reject the idea that a woman can fill the same roles in films as a man, or default to blatant stereotyping, which is also how you apply that idea to racism, and other negative prejudices. I wouldn't call it sexist, or racist if they had chosen a pack of white guys for the new team, because that would follow the established dynamic anyways. Making all the Ghostbusters female seems kind of sexist, because as far as I can tell they're trying to pander. There is a big push currently for female inclusion in film and comedy, which has a tendency to end in pandering, instead of decently written characters that people are trying to include.

Again, how is it misogyny to object to gender pandering? People who actually want gender equality don't appreciate "girl power" any more than they do "boy power" (that's a term that practically non-existent)

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
Going back to the original article;

He claims that the all-female cast is a mere co-incidence: the funniest people he knows just happen to be women, which is why he has cast them in the movie.
Doesn't casting a movie usually involve scouting for talent rather than just grabbing from your friends list? Normally Comedians will have comic friends and know who to pick, but this guy isn't a comedian, he's a director and the way he says it makes it sound like the casting decision was just a rushed job.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Phasmal said:
Maybe geek culture shouldn't be a fuckin' hornets nest. But it kind of is.
Quoted since it summed up the point so well and so early.

Honest question to everyone: What is "geek culture"?

If we strip away the fact that part of it was an attempt to market traditionally 'uncool' stuff together in a more specialized demographic. I'll ignore the conspiracy theory level assumptions, but the fact that, as an easy example, Loot Crate assumes Doctor Who and Star Trek, Warcraft and Space Invaders, Batman and Game of Thrones all cater to the exact same people is kind of an arbitrary oddity, isn't it?

"Geek Culture" is already a nebulous concept as far as I can tell, but since it's generally making more money than "Mainstream Culture" these days, we have to continue to acknowledge it exists. Either that, or Mainstream and Geek culture have become one and the same and the term is absolutely meaningless now, outside of specific contextual ideas to the larger idea of niche-titles within the broader culture. So, Assassins Creed and Battlefront is "Mainstream" gaming, Undertale and Deception is "Geek" gaming, I, guess? Batman v Superman and Deadpool are "Mainstream" superhero movie, while Super and Tiger Mask are "Nerd" superhero movies? See how forced and nonsensical this all gets when we try and pretend that things we've all liked for years have somehow become the defacto entertainment of the world?

Star Wars is as mainstream as movies as a concept even get, yet a Star Wars Geek is someone who's probably dipped their toe into the Expanded Universe stories, can tell you the difference between the vinyl caped Jawa and a cloth caped equivalent, or will explain how much better the original script was for Return of the Jedi before Lucas decided to make it his safe little nest-egg. How can Star Wars be both Mainstream and Nerd Culture simultaneously? It's because with the general erosion between the niche and the mainstream, Geek Culture has simply become the way in which Mainstream Culture is discussed, dissected and appraised outside of the Mainstram lens.

In short, Mainstream Culture looks at Deadpool and says "Hah! That was funny and snarky. I like it!" Geek Culture looks at Deadpool and says "Hah! That was a surprisingly accurate depiction of the comic character I like and made fun of the flaws of previous, related films. I like it!"

Ultimately, the difference between Geek Culture and everything else are the fans themselves. Some fans are enterprising - they create fan works, theorize missing story bits, so on and so forth - but the majority of people just... talk. They talk about the things they like. About the things they don't like. They argue what they see as obvious positive qualities being called negatives. They defend that which exists as a product like it's a part of themselves - or at least a part or something they enjoy enough, they feel it's worth defending. In short, they know what they like, and if they aren't vocal about it, they aren't engaging in the ephemera of "geek culture" as it exists on the internet in the first place.

That might be the problem with this particular little niche. It just means that - much like a product review - only people really happy, or really angry are going to bother reviewing it at all. If all you see if the best of the best and the worst of the worst, of course most people assume any given "culture" is the worst thing since Satanazis.

That doesn't mean some of them AREN'T utter assholes. It just means that only the type to bother arguing about it could well be an asshole, since... otherwise, what is there to say? There's also the obvious connection between "Geek" and what's most politely described as high-functioning autism*, which... well, there's no way to sugar coat that. A lot of people who bother arguing about and studying movies and comics and cartoons aimed at children tend to have a certain mindset behind their obsessive fascination, and "being mature about it" just isn't always part of the package.

(*Professionally diagnosed Aspergers Syndrome here, for what it's worth.)

This is why no matter how hard you try to shame and argue that nerds "just need to grow up", it's not that simple, nor will it ever be. The larger and more expansive that culture becomes the more people are willing to engage who don't have those social issues and complexes, sure, but to assume you'll ever be rid of it completely is ignoring the "GEEK" part of "Geek Culture"... but, I digress.

But let's take a second to observe this pattern of Geek Culture "attacking" a reboot, shall we?

* Mainstream title becomes a Fan Favorite due to Geeks still loving it decades later

* Fan Favorite gets Reboot tailored to Mainsteam audience, not Geeks who actually still cared in the first place

* Geeks get upset that something important to them is being handled by Mainstram idiots who don't care about it

Anyone who thinks this pattern is new is a fool. When it was announced that Michael Keaton was going to play Batman, fans wrote in to Warner Bros. en masse, complaining that a goofball known for movies like Nightshift, Mr. Mom and Burton's own Beetlejuice had no business being Batman. This got executives nervous enough that they rushed out the initial teaser so quickly there isn't even any music. It's a mess of a trailer... but, it was still good enough that the letters stopped. And Burton's Batman more or less kickstarted the trend of caped crusader movies that now dominate the world box-office year after year.

Now, do you remember how angry the internet was over Afleck being chosen to play Batman in the latest run of DC movies? You really think "Twitter Bitching" and "Letter Campaign" are that different in the context of the 25 years between them? Same nonsense, different decade. The only difference is we're so interconnected through social media and 24 hour digital outlets craving "newsworthy" pieces that people stating the obvious - That the Paul Feig Ghostbusters trailer looks like tedious, unfunny crap, and the movie probably isn't going to be any better - is now somehow "newsworthy".

In short, a director is huffing that The Internet called his trailer garbage. But no, we're the badguys. Because, y'know, we "attacked" him. By huffing that the trailer looked like garbage. Did I miss something, or is this just a perfect example of a total lack of self awareness?

TheLaughingMagician said:
Recently, pundits started a campaign to downvote the new movie's trailer [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw] into oblivion. At time of writing, its sitting at 200,000 "likes" and over 700,000 "dislikes.
See he's not wrong about the assholes thing though. Get a fucking life.
Yeah... I'm not convinced it's a "campaign" dedicated to fucking with the movie's ratings. I've certainly never seen one organized, and having seen literal single posts on image boards that were ignored in their own threads held up as "proof" of similar, I'm not buying it unless someone has a link.

Even if it was, well, that's shitty. Same thing happened to the latest Call of Duty trailer in protest of the Modern Warfare remake being saved as a "Bonus" of the $80+ collector's editions. Are CoD fans the most massive assholes on the planet because they don't want to buy a new outer-space shooter to get a remastered version of the game they already know they like?

The gender of the cast in a Ghostbusters remake is simply not that interesting. Are they taking a trip to China to fight all manner of funky Asian ghost types, or fighting voodoo zombies in N'orleans? Are there multiple Ghostbusting agencies locked in competition with one another and their rivalry causes a much bigger problem they have to work together to solve? Is one of the Ghostbusters trying to work on new technology to "trap" ghosts in physical form because their lover was killed? Is the world around them uncertain if Ghostbusting is ethical, since the undead should still have basic human rights? I'm literally making this crap up as I go, and literally any of these ideas would have been more interesting than "the Ghostbusters have ovaries instead of testicles".

(I'd love to see a third film with Egon as a helpful ghost working as a double agent between the living world and the ghost world -something to that tune, anyway. You better believe that Geeks would rage about THAT, too, but at least it'd be interesting.)

Granted, I've never seen a shitty remake trailer get bombed that hard before. But I also can't remember a remake with a fanbase quite like Ghostbusters. I used to know a guy who built multiple Proton Packs to go to charity events dressed as a Ghostbuster, an odd organization of which there are multiple chapters in the US. (You want to talk Gerd Culture!) The universe is also fairly small for a franchise of this sort, meaning that the fanbase is somewhat more uniform; there's no meta-discussion of which Starfleet Captain you like better or who's the Best Snake, the Ghostbusters are just The Goddamn Ghost Busters.

That's also ignoring the fact that, unlike comic heroes or popular novels, Ghostbusters was an original screenplay written by a small group of very talented guys that squeezed lighting in a bottle. And even they made a shitty sequel! If you didn't think fans would be upset regardless of how the movie turned out, you haven't been paying attention.

Pluvia said:
Theater? I mean how come it's always geek culture that has a problem with writers writing something or even worse; women and minorities.

I mean I don't remember massive movements created at JK Rowling to rewrite Harry Potter. I don't remember people kicking up a massive fuss in sport because a player happens to be a minority...
Just this week, I read an article suggesting that Wonder Woman - a character sculpted by Greek Gods in their own image - should be black. Not because there was one specific actress they could think of that would perfectly embody the role, but solely because "representation is important", suggesting that the face of a fictional character is completely flexible... so long as it's in the correct direction. I understand the implications and reasoning behind it, but I always thought that line of thinking was nonsensical, at best.

And yet that wasn't as pointless as another I read about how Lupita Nyong'o should play Cleopatra... despite Cleopatra having been a Macedonian born in Egypt. The fact that she willingly learned Egyptian language was what set her apart from her otherwise Greek family.

But hey! Ancient Nubians and Egyptians were, like, exactly the same. That assumption's not racist in a completely different direction, right? Identity Politics on both sides is bloody stupid. Some people are legit racist about it, I don't doubt that, but I'm willing to bet that most people are just annoyed at what they see as race-swapping to prove a point or cause an artificial controversy, rather than because the actor is actually more suited for the role or because a certain culture or nationality would inherently influence the character in an interesting way.

Personally I didn't have a problem with Josh Trank casting a black actor as Johnny Storm; I had a problem with him casting a black actor and not casting a black actress for Sue. Making her adopted only further complicates what's already a mish-mash of characterization and universe history. (Then again, F4NTASTIC is such a mess we're better off just thinking of it as "Chronicle 2".)

I guess that was true of Jessica Alba being cast alongside Chris Evans a decade ago, but honestly, the fact that the movie didn't feel the need to write in an excuse meant it was as color-blind to the the fact that Alba was of Mexican descent as I was.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
This thread seems to have a whole lot of self flagellation. People claiming geek culture has an asshole problem are being every bit as vitriolic, castigating and shaming as the culture they are "critiquing". Sorry it just strikes me as a bit insincere when people are pretty vicious in their decrying of nerd culture, I suppose of unaware of the irony involved. Pretty sure its just modern outrage culture, and a certain group of people don't like where it got pointed this time around.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
It basically boils down to;

Will this movie be good? Probably not, the trailer is awful

Would it have been good with an all male or mixed gender main cast? Still probably not as the problems in the trailer would still be present.

Is this Reboot a shameless grab for nostalgia money? Almost Certainly

Will a director blame anything to get out of a bad review? Every time! Remember the lists of things Michael Bay blames his bad reviews on.

Is there anyone who has critiqued this movie and NOT been labelled a misogynist? This one is a genuine question here because the directors arguement would hold more water if he addressed anything beyond the casting choices.