Ghostbuster's Image Quality Suffers on PlayStation 3

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Ahh you see the forward thinking is what keeps a person like me from running out and buying a PS3. If and when the games listed do come out and are well recieved then it is time for consideration.

If Activision were to drop Sony altogether then people will ignore the PS3 if they can only afford a single console, hate PC gaming and really want it. And that doesn't = profits for Sony.

I don't really think of Activision's response as a threat but more of a "this is how it is". I do agree that games are expensive and could use a price drop. At the same time I understand that since games cost more to develop (and even moreso if they go multiplatform) that the devs need to recoup thier money somehow. Unfortunately I have seen over the past few months an increase in the price of games here in Canada. They have gone from 59.99 to 69.99. Although I can go to Gamestop and see a game for 69, go to HMV and pick up the same game for 59. But HMV will be selling a different title for 69 that GS is selling for 59. Can't blame the devs or the industry for that.

I also should point out that game prices haven't changed much over the years. NES games were selling at around the 60 mark. It is the price of the consoles that has increased with each gen.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
Ahh you see the forward thinking is what keeps a person like me from running out and buying a PS3. If and when the games listed do come out and are well recieved then it is time for consideration.

If Activision were to drop Sony altogether then people will ignore the PS3 if they can only afford a single console, hate PC gaming and really want it. And that doesn't = profits for Sony.

I don't really think of Activision's response as a threat but more of a "this is how it is". I do agree that games are expensive and could use a price drop. At the same time I understand that since games cost more to develop (and even moreso if they go multiplatform) that the devs need to recoup thier money somehow. Unfortunately I have seen over the past few months an increase in the price of games here in Canada. They have gone from 59.99 to 69.99. Although I can go to Gamestop and see a game for 69, go to HMV and pick up the same game for 59. But HMV will be selling a different title for 69 that GS is selling for 59. Can't blame the devs or the industry for that.

I also should point out that game prices haven't changed much over the years. NES games were selling at around the 60 mark. It is the price of the consoles that has increased with each gen.
Well, I wanted the BC version also, so I got the 60g so I could continue GT4, and GoWII games. Those games that were listed, should all be out by this time next year. All of them. What I'm starting to see happening w/in Sony's lineup, is a solid, month after month after month, of exclusive titles. Tretton recently came out and said 15 were in the works, but, I'm personally more interested in Kazunori Yamauchi (Polyphony Digital) stating that GT5 could be released at ANY time.

Say what? My chin hit the floor when I saw that announcement lol. But, it makes sense, everyone knows, if Sony wants to be anywhere this gen, other than 3rd, they need to deliver the games that everyone kept going back to the PS Brand for. Admittedly, a few of those are no longer just on Sony's machine, but they still have a titanic selection. But, for Mr Yamauchi to make that statement (and, given GT Mobile is done), it tells me that GT5 is literally right around the corner. And, I'd be willing to be that it's going to be Sony's trojan horse for this holiday season. (Can you tell I really want this game? LoL).

To be frank though, if I were thinking of purchasing a PS3, or if any of you are...I'd wait. Wait until TGS at the earliest (Sept 24-27th). Any price cuts/new skus will most likely be announced there. And it will most likely be for Nov/Dec.

Morne
Ahh next year. See that is the thing. I try and keep myself abreast of the going ons in the industry. Next year after already waiting 2 years for these titles feels like waiting for Duke Nuke'em Forever. You reach a point where you question if there is anyone actually working on these games or if they just put the money into an offshore account and have a bunch of empty towers sitting around the offices jst in case the bosses show up.

Cutting out the BC was one of the stupidest things I have ever seen Sony do. Especially after the big hooplah they made trying to sell it when it launched. Oh look at us we only have 1 type of console where MS is selling 3 or 4. A few months later and they have more than MS.

There is also the Lair and Heavenly Sword fiascos. Judging soley by reviews (since I haven't played either to any degree) and watching gameplay footage it seems to me Sony itself has tarnished thier own reputation. I think these console companies need to draw a line in the sand at some point and say this is unacceptable and we will not have it on our consoles. Either fix it or go away. Nintendo used to back in the good old days.

I wonder how much a thing like Ghostbusters hurts a company like Activision. They must recieve alot of angry letters to say the least. I believe them saying look we are trying to make the same quality of experience for both but simply can't in a fast and economical way working on both so we gotta choose which side is winning isn't a threat. And I don't think that if the PS3 drops in price and the market doesn't respond as favorably as everyone expects it to (I for one don't see much change unless it is an extreme price drop and MS doesn't follow suit with one of thier own) I wonder if Activision will stick to their guns. Or their word.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I am only going to respond to the last paragraph. There in lies the problem. If a company releases a game on the 360 and a year later releases it on the PS3 it has got to have a negative effect on the sales of the PS3 version. Once you calculate the amount of multi console owners who would more likely than not pick up the version that hit the market first you are cutting a significant portion of your sales base for the next version. Sure you have other games and are in no hurry. What about the next guy? Sure if you only own one then you have no choice. Also I gotta throw out the words killer app. We all have the one game that pushed us towards one or the other. How does Activision (just an example could be any company) know if they are making that game. And if they are and have to hold back the second version they could be throwing alot of money at a project that could possibly see little return. Since almost everyone who wanted it already has it and they are just catering to the fanboys who believe they are the majority and the voice of all gamers but in reality are the minority and have more of a negative effect on the industry in general.

I hope I explained that right.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I can't be bothered to read through 4 pages so can someone just direct me to Indigo Dingo's post? It's bound to be hilarious.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
I am only going to respond to the last paragraph. There in lies the problem. If a company releases a game on the 360 and a year later releases it on the PS3 it has got to have a negative effect on the sales of the PS3 version. Once you calculate the amount of multi console owners who would more likely than not pick up the version that hit the market first you are cutting a significant portion of your sales base for the next version. Sure you have other games and are in no hurry. What about the next guy? Sure if you only own one then you have no choice. Also I gotta throw out the words killer app. We all have the one game that pushed us towards one or the other. How does Activision (just an example could be any company) know if they are making that game. And if they are and have to hold back the second version they could be throwing alot of money at a project that could possibly see little return. Since almost everyone who wanted it already has it and they are just catering to the fanboys who believe they are the majority and the voice of all gamers but in reality are the minority and have more of a negative effect on the industry in general.

I hope I explained that right.

Ahhh, yes, but remember Red Alert 3 (admittedly it didn't sell to well on either platform, but it was a stab at a console rts...)? Wasn't going to come out, even said they'd canceled it, but it did eventually come out, as the master version with extra's and such? There's the Katamari series that's getting it's own PS3 version...and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is coming out, extra stuff in there. They realize they have to toss in extra bits...but they have a ton of space to play with too, makes it allot easier when you're adding in those extras. With a brand new IP though, I mean, the added hype of it being on the other system could do it good. Ninja Gaiden will be a better IP to theorize with though.

Bottom line is, if it's a good enough IP, and they do a good enough job with it. PS3 owners are going to buy it. They just need to put the grunt time in. Not every developer's ok with doing that, or feels they should have to...but hey, that's why I have a gaming PC also. heh.

Morne
Ahh but are they willing to pay 60 dollars twice for a few extras? And if they didn't buy it the first time I wonder how many don't already know everything about the game thanks to nimrods on the net who don't understand things like spoilers.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
Ahh but are they willing to pay 60 dollars twice for a few extras? And if they didn't buy it the first time I wonder how many don't already know everything about the game thanks to nimrods on the net who don't understand things like spoilers.

Well, we'll have to wait and see really. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 should be a decent metric, since it's a relatively popular and revered IP. I'm buying that, no doubt. Companies don't often do this though, so it's hard tellin'.

Morne
Oh and I forgot to mention something else about this. Alienating the first base. The way Atari did with Alone in the Dark. I bought AITD at launch for the 360 and it sucked. There was alot of stuff in it that just didn't work. Fast forward about a year and it gets launched on the PS3. All of a sudden you pause going into your inventory, the driving is alot better and a few other quirks were fixed (story still sucked but hey). This left me feeling like I paid 60 bucks (plus tax) to beta test the PS3 version. All for nothing (not even a thank you). Now I will never buy an Atari game new. I will buy it used or rent it but never will I buy another Atari game new and give them 1 red cent of my money.

Ninja Gaiden could fall into the same trap. The camera is absolutely horrible in the 360 version. If it comes out that the PS3 fixed this problem (which has nothing to do with space but time and user feedback) fans that have been there since the start are going to be pissed (and rightfully so).

It didn't bother me when Bioshock came out with the challenge rooms or Batman getting Joker. I feel the same way about Fallout 3 and GTA 4 not giving the DLC to PS3 owners. Sure it does suck since I want them as well (as I am sure PS3 owners want the other) but the difference is Rockstar didn't give PS3 owners the finger as they are rolling around in thier unearned money.

ericblr

Jun 21, 2009
I'm just a pc gamer here who really doesnt give a rats ass about either console, but here's my 2 cents...

Although the PS3 is speedier overall, it is RAM starved. That leaves less room for textures to be stored and used.