Ghostbuster's Image Quality Suffers on PlayStation 3

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Mornelithe said:
Buy it for your PC, it'll outperform 360/PS3 anyway.
Feature-wise, the PC version is pretty much the lesser of the three. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
The 360 has more available RAM???? WHAT??? Whatever happened to the PS3 is the most ridiculously powerful machine ever created?
The 360 actually has more RAM inside of it, if you take into account the daughter board. I believe it's 560M of 'shared' memory in the 360, versus the dedicated solution that Sony went with in the PS3...256M of DDR3 @ 700MHZ dedicated to the GPU, and 256M of XDR @ 3.2g dedicated to the CPU. Neither consoles sport anything remotely close to a good amount of RAM. Probably the biggest faux pas of both machines, imo, well, other than that hardware design of the 360, but...not going there.

Morne
Is there any way to put that post in english? I R not technology literate. All I know is the bigger numbers the better. And that everyone says the PS3 is technologically superior. So to hear that the 360 has more available RAM than the PS3 (what does the PS3 have more RAM that isn't available but is just sitting there for show?) is quite confusing.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
As long as the gameplay is fine, I don't think a few graphical disadvantages are something to make a fuss about. They probably rushed PS3 version for some reason.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
The 360 has more available RAM???? WHAT??? Whatever happened to the PS3 is the most ridiculously powerful machine ever created?
The 360 actually has more RAM inside of it, if you take into account the daughter board. I believe it's 560M of 'shared' memory in the 360, versus the dedicated solution that Sony went with in the PS3...256M of DDR3 @ 700MHZ dedicated to the GPU, and 256M of XDR @ 3.2g dedicated to the CPU. Neither consoles sport anything remotely close to a good amount of RAM. Probably the biggest faux pas of both machines, imo, well, other than that hardware design of the 360, but...not going there.

Morne
yes the ps3 has certain parts of the ram dedicated, so in theory it's faster and better cause it's not sharing everything

as for the issue of ram, you are forgetting that the os in the systems is very minimal so the amount of ram needed is negligent really, it's not like you have a bloated os with poor memory management that it needs 2 gigs of ram to even run the most basic of applications.

the ps3 also sets aside a certain amount of ram just for the os to run

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:

Morne
Is there any way to put that post in english? I R not technology literate. All I know is the bigger numbers the better. And that everyone says the PS3 is technologically superior. So to hear that the 360 has more available RAM than the PS3 (what does the PS3 have more RAM that isn't available but is just sitting there for show?) is quite confusing.
Well, hrm, to answer your question, the 360 has more RAM by about 48Megabytes. The architecture of that RAM Pool, is, it's shared between the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) and the CPU (Central Processing Unit), this means, that at any given point, software can access that pool of RAM, at it's leisure. However, it also means that a certain amount of that RAM is always in use for the OS that the 360 employs.

The second part of your question is a bit more theoretical, simply because on paper, yes, the PS3 is more powerful (at some things) and is capable of performing (certain things) better. It should be noted, the 360 also sports abilities that the PS3 doesn't, such as Full Screen Anti-Aliasing, and SOME (but not nearly all) DX10 functionality.

To put a few things in perspective, as to why people say the PS3 is technologically superior. The CPU RAM, is XDR, it currently runs, at a bare minimum 1ghz faster, than any other RAM available on the market (that's significant). Then you have the Cell Broadband Engine, which still outperforms the i7 for certain functionality, and by outperforms, I mean smokes the dogmeat out of. Of course, it's designed for very specific functions, therefore, when it's coded for specifically to take advantage of it's architecture, it performs better than any other processor on the planet (currently available). However, when the same kind of general purpose code that's made for the 360/PC processors is applied to the PS3, then you have problems because it's not performing the way it was designed to work.

I could really go on, at great length, regarding this. But, to sum up, allot of the reason why people consider the PS3 to be a technological powerhouse is how new all of the technology is, that's being used inside of it, and that because it's difficult to program for, and to use that technology appropriately, people have no real idea where the developement pinnacle on the PS3 will be, whereas, it's a little easier to guage that on the 360/PC.

In the end, it comes down to the games, and the overall experience though. I wouldn't let technology jargon influence your decision, unless you are looking into say...an HDTV for the PS3's blu ray capabilities etc...

Morne
Ahh good. I am a 360 owner and going to forums like here I always feel like I am missing out on something truly fantastic that the PS3 can do that the 360 can't (other than the blu ray thing which means jack to me since I only have an SD TV). Although I do disagree with the PC having some kind of limitation. I have a couple friends who are upgrading thier PCs to ungodly amounts (like terabytes of memory and 8 gbs ram and other just craziness) That I always bug them about. I keep telling them what good is it when the software won't utilize it. But it games on the PC will be amazing once devs do start building games for those kinds of insane specs.

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
I think it's cause they try to cap the visual quality of a multiplatform games that's on 360 and PS3. The 360 can't get as high a visual quality as the PS3 and rather than max out the different version to their full potential cause that would seem biased, they try to evenly match both versions.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:

Morne
Well, hrm, to answer your question, the 360 has more RAM by about 48Megabytes. The architecture of that RAM Pool, is, it's shared between the GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) and the CPU (Central Processing Unit), this means, that at any given point, software can access that pool of RAM, at it's leisure. However, it also means that a certain amount of that RAM is always in use for the OS that the 360 employs.

The second part of your question is a bit more theoretical, simply because on paper, yes, the PS3 is more powerful (at some things) and is capable of performing (certain things) better. It should be noted, the 360 also sports abilities that the PS3 doesn't, such as Full Screen Anti-Aliasing, and SOME (but not nearly all) DX10 functionality.

To put a few things in perspective, as to why people say the PS3 is technologically superior. The CPU RAM, is XDR, it currently runs, at a bare minimum 1ghz faster, than any other RAM available on the market (that's significant). Then you have the Cell Broadband Engine, which still outperforms the i7 for certain functionality, and by outperforms, I mean smokes the dogmeat out of. Of course, it's designed for very specific functions, therefore, when it's coded for specifically to take advantage of it's architecture, it performs better than any other processor on the planet (currently available). However, when the same kind of general purpose code that's made for the 360/PC processors is applied to the PS3, then you have problems because it's not performing the way it was designed to work.

I could really go on, at great length, regarding this. But, to sum up, allot of the reason why people consider the PS3 to be a technological powerhouse is how new all of the technology is, that's being used inside of it, and that because it's difficult to program for, and to use that technology appropriately, people have no real idea where the developement pinnacle on the PS3 will be, whereas, it's a little easier to guage that on the 360/PC.

In the end, it comes down to the games, and the overall experience though. I wouldn't let technology jargon influence your decision, unless you are looking into say...an HDTV for the PS3's blu ray capabilities etc...

Morne
Ahh good. I am a 360 owner and going to forums like here I always feel like I am missing out on something truly fantastic that the PS3 can do that the 360 can't (other than the blu ray thing which means jack to me since I only have an SD TV). Although I do disagree with the PC having some kind of limitation. I have a couple friends who are upgrading thier PCs to ungodly amounts (like terabytes of memory and 8 gbs ram and other just craziness) That I always bug them about. I keep telling them what good is it when the software won't utilize it. But it games on the PC will be amazing once devs do start building games for those kinds of insane specs.
The current Intel 965XE i7, performs HD encoding, at a vastly slower rate than the Cell does. By almost half the FPS.

Morne
I assume that is a PC thing. And the thing with PCs is the tech is constantly evolving. Where the consoles are kinda stuck at a certain point that no one will be able to break through the glass ceiling (until the next next gen comes along)

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
There isn't any single cross platform game that look better on the PS3 than on the Xbox360, as it has been proven many, many times. The gamespot annual graphic comparison, Lens of Truth and every others, they all came to the same conclusions: either it's equal, or 360 has the advantage.

The guy that was the chief engineer for the Cell AND the Xenon said that both were about the same power, but the Xenon has two advantages: it is simpler to optimize, and it can fare deal better with open worlds such as GTA, Fallout, etc. However, to his words, the PS3 CAN offer more than 360 for linear worlds, like the incredibly beautiful Uncharted 2.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3904/processing_the_truth_an_interview_.php

Crytek can also support this: they claim that they maximized both consoles, and in the end, the difference is too minimal to take into account.
http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23898

All in all, they are equally powerful consoles, but the PS3 costs much more and offer less quality in games in general, so your decision should mostly revolve around which exclusives you prefer and if you want to pay for a weak, 1x BluRay player. Not that long ago, RRoD was certainly a problem to take into account, but this isn't that much of a problem anymore with the new 60go model.

And for those who shamelessly accuse the developpers of being lazy assholes and such infamy, please STFU. These brave people work freaking hard, with long crunch times forcing them to work over 60 hours a week. Chances are that they work much harder than you do, so stop complaining, and be grateful that some first party HELP them, by offering better devkits and consoles that are simple to code for.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
On a more 'topic' note, some games look better on 360, some on PS3, and...sheesh, yes, all of em look better on PC, IF they come out, and IF you have money to burn.
*cough*GTA4 and Saints Row 2*cough*

Sorry, you spoke in absolutes. Death to the absolutes!

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
hypothetical fact said:
Ollie596 said:
So the PC gets no multiplayer and the PS3 gets slightly crapper graphics so what does our 360 owners get?

*Waiting for the horde of fanboys to arrive*

Honestly someone messed up, shame on you Terminal Reality! and Sony of course.
The 360 gets a genuinly fun, albeit short game.
And a massive delay in Europe by about 140 ish days.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Krakyn said:
Yeah...I don't think you can blame Sony because a developer sucks at coding for their system. So Sony didn't make coding easy; it's about time developers stopped complaining about the foreign system and learned how to use it properly so this stuff doesn't happen.

The only people to blame here are the people who created the game, not the system it was created on.
If it's only one company or one game, it's the developers fault.
If EVERY developer complains about it on EVERY game, it's the system.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Mornelithe said:
squid5580 said:
I assume that is a PC thing. And the thing with PCs is the tech is constantly evolving. Where the consoles are kinda stuck at a certain point that no one will be able to break through the glass ceiling (until the next next gen comes along)
It is a PC thing, to a degree. The PS3 really isn't setup as an HD Encoder with how it's currently setup. But, an analysis was recently done on the performance of the newest Intel i7 Extreme vs the Cell Broadband for HD encoding, and the Cell is still way out ahead. Does this have anything to do with games? Not currently, as far as I can tell. Does this mean the Cell is a better overall solution for Desktop use? Absolutely, emphatically, 100% no. As I said originally, the Cell does SOME things, extraordinarily well, ahead of it's time really. But, it's certainly not a General Purpose Processor, like most/all of Intel's chips.

Morne
I can only assume that most if not all games are coded using the intel chip though. And they have to make the program think in the way of the cell which would be kind of unnatural. (I apologize for the layman terms). Isn't it possible that it has just as much to do with the software that is hindering the power of the cell (as well as it being so new and devs are trying to wrap thier grey matter around it).