"Girl Gamer Syndrome"

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
museofdoom said:
Snake Plissken said:
I find the "special snowflakes" almost as irritating as girls who feel the need to post a thread about how superior they are because they don't feel the need to announce to the world that they play games.

Then again, I find just about everyone who makes a claim of "I AM TEH NERDZ CUZ I PLAY TEH GAMEZ!" rather irritating.
Where did I say I was superior?
While not explicitly stated, it seems rather heavily implied

museofdoom said:
I may just find the whole thing annoying because I am a girl. Although, sometimes I think girls that have "girl gamer syndrome" make the rest of us look bad.

But, since we're playing the "I didn't explicitly state it, therefore your argument is invalid" game, where did I say I was referring to you or your posts?

JabberBabyWocky

Jun 17, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
JabberBabyWocky said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Something that is worrying me about this thread is the fact that most people seem to think that if you advertise the fact that you like games that makes you a gamer gurrl.

What if you genuinely like games?
the best messages i get now off men are the ones that accuse me of hackin my gamerscore,just becoz its over 100k...guys are priceless lol
In fairness, 100k is a lot of gamerscore, like about 90 times what I have ever seen anyone have.

i've seen plenty of high gamerscores,but iv've never felt the need to ask if they hacked it becoz of their gender.

to the OP,why should it bother you what other girls do in game? yes u get the annoyin one whos squeak n giggle their way thro a game ( thats why mute was invented ). i've even seen one empty an entire clip M60 and not hit a single thing,then giggle afterwards when she got shot! but not even that prompted me to moan about them on a forum.

there is no difference between boys n girls flirtin in game,than them flirtin in a pub or wherever. u get girls who play games to talk to boys,so what? u get boys who are complete assholes,so what? u also get both boys and girls who play video games becoz they really love playin them,so what? at the end of the day if u dont like listenin to them,then mute them,but dont come on a forum and ***** about them just doin what comes naturally to them. and to be fair,u urself pointed out u were a girl in ur OP so. whats the difference to u doin it on here or someone doin it in game? =)

oh and btw i have "cute but deadly " as my motto on on xbox =O so shoot me haha! =)

Farotsu

Dec 30, 2010
I've met plenty of girls that play games and generally I might remark it as interesting if they are good at it. However if they make a fuss about it I pretty much treat them the same way I do the girls outside of gaming that want themselves getting special treatment because they have milk-glands of good proportions: I either ignore them or make sure that they know how little I appreciate their attitude.

Inglorious891

Dec 17, 2011
I honestly have never ran into any girl gamers like this, so I don't have any personal experiences with them.

However, I do have to agree with JET1971 that it's just some girls trying to get attention by being obnoxious, and that they represent a minortiy of girl gamers.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Tin Man said:
It's an age thing, young girls like attention and young guys like to feel like girls like their shit, and when they find out a girl is into gaming, they think that by extension they have a better shot with that girl then all the non gamer girls they know.

Makes bugger all sense but that's the young for you.
Pretty much what I was about to say. I'm in my 30's ergo most of my friends are or are very close to it. No one makes a big deal out of it. Saying 'i play games' is like saying 'i watch movies.'

What's amazing is how even after you point this out to [the younger folks] they'll still not see it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JabberBabyWocky said:
imnotparanoid said:
JabberBabyWocky said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Something that is worrying me about this thread is the fact that most people seem to think that if you advertise the fact that you like games that makes you a gamer gurrl.

What if you genuinely like games?
the best messages i get now off men are the ones that accuse me of hackin my gamerscore,just becoz its over 100k...guys are priceless lol
In fairness, 100k is a lot of gamerscore, like about 90 times what I have ever seen anyone have.

i've seen plenty of high gamerscores,but iv've never felt the need to ask if they hacked it becoz of their gender.

to the OP,why should it bother you what other girls do in game? yes u get the annoyin one whos squeak n giggle their way thro a game ( thats why mute was invented ). i've even seen one empty an entire clip M60 and not hit a single thing,then giggle afterwards when she got shot! but not even that prompted me to moan about them on a forum.

there is no difference between boys n girls flirtin in game,than them flirtin in a pub or wherever. u get girls who play games to talk to boys,so what? u get boys who are complete assholes,so what? u also get both boys and girls who play video games becoz they really love playin them,so what? at the end of the day if u dont like listenin to them,then mute them,but dont come on a forum and ***** about them just doin what comes naturally to them. and to be fair,u urself pointed out u were a girl in ur OP so. whats the difference to u doin it on here or someone doin it in game? =)

oh and btw i have "cute but deadly " as my motto on on xbox =O so shoot me haha! =)
some might call me a hypocrite for this but we do not tollerate "u" in thease parts (just....fuck thats pissing me off so much..sorry had to point it out)

this isnt a text, using the correct words gives you a little more credibility (again Im often called out on my bad spelling..but thats unintentional, I type too fast)

now back to the point I actually want to make

Snake Plissken said:
I find the "special snowflakes" almost as irritating as girls who feel the need to post a thread about how superior they are because they don't feel the need to announce to the world that they play games.

Then again, I find just about everyone who makes a claim of "I AM TEH NERDZ CUZ I PLAY TEH GAMEZ!" rather irritating.
the thing is, I think the main issue here is its not about playing a game and making a big deal out of it...thats one thing (an annoying thing)

another thing is when the girl in question DOES NOT give a shit about games...if pottery making was the cool new thing she would take that up, they play a a few games then proudly claim he title "girrl gamer" and some (sad) guys still go nuts over it

the thing is there are women who have petty much turned it into a profession

JabberBabyWocky

Jun 17, 2011
"some might call me a hypocrite for this but we do not tollerate "u" in thease parts (just....fuck thats pissing me off so much..sorry had to point it out)

this isnt a text, using the correct words gives you a little more credibility (again Im often called out on my bad spelling..but thats unintentional, I type too fast)"

wow! just wow! i have no words o_O

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I hate people who talk in text speak when they have an ENTIRE KEYBOARD in front of them. You're replying to a forum post, not talking in a chat room. You have time to look over and correct errors, it isn't a race.

OT: I've met plenty of girls who act that way. It's irritating as all hell. "I play COD."
"...So?"
*Cue girl being offended that I somehow had the GALL to insinuate she wasn't the most special and unique female in the world for playing a hugely mainstream shooter.*

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JabberBabyWocky said:
"some might call me a hypocrite for this but we do not tollerate "u" in thease parts (just....fuck thats pissing me off so much..sorry had to point it out)

this isnt a text, using the correct words gives you a little more credibility (again Im often called out on my bad spelling..but thats unintentional, I type too fast)"

Im just saying, there's no need to shorten your words as if it were a text

(also theres a quote button, usuing that "quotes" my post and lets me know that I've been quoted)

thatgeekbronnie

Sep 13, 2011
I've noticed this, and actually have a past classmate who does crap like this all the time. It's UBER annoying and it makes me want to hide the fact that I play games. She dressed up as some crazy psycho creature from some game for a Halloween party and had that all over her FB. It's awful and it must be stopped.

JabberBabyWocky

Jun 17, 2011
Smeggs said:
I hate people who talk in text speak when they have an ENTIRE KEYBOARD in front of them. You're replying to a forum post, not talking in a chat room. You have time to look over and correct errors, it isn't a race.*

then i guess im gonna be hated =)

ThePurpleStuff

Apr 30, 2010
I've played games for almost 12 years and I just happen to be female, that's my attitude about it, I don't think being a girl in this situation makes me more special. But yeah I really don't like it when girls pretend to like games to get guys or attention (iJustine on youtube... good example.) But what I also don't like is when guys fall for it, give the true gamer girls bad games, lol, I act so much like a guy and I get along well with guys that I'm often called a dude when my character's clearly female.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JabberBabyWocky said:
Vault101 said:
JabberBabyWocky said:

Im just saying, there's no need to shorten your words as if it were a text

(also theres a quote button, usuing that "quotes" my post and lets me know that I've been quoted)
there we go,happy now? ur one picky mofo and to be honest i'm not gonna stop typin the way i do coz it pisses u off. u dont like what i type then just ignore me =)
I was just pointing that out, using the quote thing is easyer because then the other person can actually reply if they want to

also Im not saying your stupid or anything, but people are less likley to disregard what you say if you actually type properly (because otherise it makes your posts annoying to read)

I may be comming off as a bit of an ass but I only want to be helpful

(plus keep in mind the mods here are very very VERY harsh)

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
I'm not a girl. Who told you I was a girl. Do I play like I'm a girl?

<__>

But seriously, most of the "girls" I see doing that are actually guys pretending to be girls for teh lulz (and these guys are my irl friends so I would know).

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
conflictofinterests said:
But seriously, most of the "girls" I see doing that are actually guys pretending to be girls for teh lulz (and these guys are my irl friends so I would know).
See, that's what's so unfair. I've certainly tried pretending I was a guy online but it never leads to any 'lulz'. :(

Bete Noire

Dec 20, 2011
Hi, I'm a long time lurker, and only now decided to post.

This topic strikes close to home, because, you guessed it, I'm a gamer and I'm a girl too. I'm a huge gamer, in more sense than one (my Roleplaying games Collection STILL beats my computer games Collection).

And when I read the original post -- I felt ashamed. For being a girl. For being a gamer. And for being vocal, open and straightforward about it.

Suddenly, I had this urge to beg for forgiveness because, a few hours ago, I made a post on my Facebook ... about gaming.

I can see where the OP came from, but at the same time, I can see how, we, girls, are often our own worst enemies. We want to be equal to the boys, but we will sabotage each other, and cast the first stone.

Now, I don't want to accuse the OP of hating other girls or being "holier than though" -- I read some of her answers to other people's posts, and she seemed ready to listen and embrace other points of view. However, I will have to talk of my own experience -- and, at least in MY OWN experience? I'm yet to meet a male gamer who's bothered by a girl publicly proclaiming herself as a female gamer. Every time I heard complains about this "Girl Gamer Syndrome" it came from other female players, the infamous "Who do she thinks she is?"

Most guy gamers, I learned, usually fall into two categories upon learning you're a girl: either the "ZOMG SO COOL WANNA BE MY FRIEND NAO?! HERE HAVE A BAJILLION GOLD!" group, and the "Huh, good for you? As long as you can do your job in this team, you could be an alien and I wouldn't care?" Neither of them really cares that the girl mentions it - the first is too happy about the possibility that there is someone out there they might be able to game with AND smooch; and the others just simply don't care. It makes no difference to them as long as they can play the game or talk about the topic in an informed and intelligent way.

And curiously enough (and this keeps my faith in mankind) the first group is SO much rarer than the second. Sure, as a confessed girl gamer for several years now, I had a handful of guys who immediately wanted to team with me in game (and I suspect it was because they realized I was female). But the vast majority is simply absolutely neutral about it. Some of them were interested on how a girl starts to game, but most of the times, I was just "another gamer."

I have heard, nonetheless, the complaints that "girls who speak up about their gender are just craving attention" -- and more often than not (and quite surprisingly), come from other girls. Of course, not to say there aren't attention whores - sure there are, tons of them. But then again, so are MALE attention whores, showing off their expensive computer, or their stats in game, or how he pwned you 32456 times in a row.

I read the original post a mere hours after posting in my Facebook a game-related comment. Why? Because I'm a gamer and that's my Facebook. But, for the first time in my life, I felt the need to apologize for proudly proclaiming that I'm a gamer. I paused and wondered "Am I an attention-whore and never noticed it"? And I didn't like it one bit. I know, I know "if the shoe fits..."

But ultimately, I don't think that's it -- I surely do not do it to be showered with gifts or attention. I declare myself to be a girl, because I am one and I'm a gamer. Sure, it's not important for other people to know I'm one, but I will mention it in passage if the topic arises (the same way I'll mention, oh, that some times I have trouble with the English language because I'm not a native speaker). More, I think that revealing myself as a girl shows that we're finally getting rid of the stigma that games are just for boys and if you're a girl and rather spend your allowance on games instead of clothes, you're a weirdo (yeah, I heard that one growing up a lot, even from my own family). I finally have the courage to say "Yeah, I'm a gamer--what of it?"

So girls are coming out of the "gaming" closet, slowly. Some want attention, some want to show they're not afraid of who they are, some don't want anything and just say it naturally. I'm sure there are some bad apples, true among the gamers, but it's a condition connected to being human, rather than being "female". And sure, if they go immediately "I'm a girl, gimme loot", you should dutifully laugh in her face. But I find this point of view of claiming "If this girl posts on her Facebook "I AM GAMER, HEAR ME ROAR", she's just doing it for the attention". Or "anyone that goes "Hey, I really like this game, and that's saying a lot since I'm female" is just trying to feel a speshul snowflake" is not a very positive attitude. Admittedly, I don't like feeling ashamed of being who I am (ie girl AND gamer), so maybe I am a tad grumpy, and firing in all directions. And again, I'm not accusing the OP of this -- this shame came solely and exclusively from my little dark heart who still (secretly) hears those faded echoes of "girls don't play computer\P&P games".

I could continue to rant on length here, but I don't want to overstay my welcome.

I just would like to say the following: no girl (gamer or otherwise) I know would immediately write off the majority of male gamers as assholes and sociopaths because a couple of them were jerks to her.
Likewise, I don't think we should immediately label any girl gamer as "attention whore" because they are revealing their gender. Judge them by their following attitudes ("WHY AREN'T YOU WORSHIPPING ME?" or "I need 100 gold to get a new dress for my night elf." *hint hint nudge nudge*) not seemingly neutral information.

Thank you for reading!

*steps down from soap box*

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Girl gamers are just like any other gamers.

Cannon fodder to be crushed beneath my mighty heel.
This is probably the greatest post in this entire thread.

Kudos to you, fine internet dweller.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
tobyornottoby said:
But generally speaking games are not made gender-neutral.
Well, I was thinking more like, yes, games are, mostly, for guys, but in a "subtle"[footnote]I say 'subtle' because it doesn't say "For Guys" in the title.[/footnote] manner. But there are a few games made for girls[footnote]They say so on the-pink-cover. Games such as those that fall under the Barbie/Ponies/Baby care etc.[/footnote].
Basically, I was thinking there are games, and there are games made for girls.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
museofdoom said:
Has anyone else ever noticed how many girls lately seem to think they're a "special snowflake" just because they play video games?
I have actually. Not too long ago I trash talked a gamer who responded with "I'm a girl. Show some decency!" Yeah, that statement just reeks of gender equality doesn't it?

JabberBabyWocky

Jun 17, 2011
GigaHz said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Girl gamers are just like any other gamers.

Cannon fodder to be crushed beneath my mighty heel.
This is probably the greatest post in this entire thread.

Kudos to you, fine internet dweller.
haha!! i totally agree that this is the greatest post!