Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
What... The... Fuck.

There are so many problems with this. First, leaving the gun out with a child in the house. Second, getting a child used to playing with a Wiimote that looks exactly like the aforementioned gun (to a 3 year old anyway). Third, that charges haven't been filed.

I own a lot of guns, and this offends me.

Angryman101

Aug 7, 2009
AkJay said:
She shot herself...
Even if it actually turned out to be a real gun, why would she have shot herself?
Not to mention that video-games are in NO WAY involved (seeing as it was the step-father who left a loaded gun on the nightstand.
What is wrong with you? She's a fucking toddler. They have, like, no motor control. As far as we know she picked it up wrong or dropped it while her fingers were still in the finger-guard. It's not like you pick up your tv controller the right way every singly time before pointing it towards the tv, because one, it's easier to pick up at that moment when it's facing you instead and you can easily flip it, and two you don't expect hot lead-y death to come spurting out of it.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Like I said on the original forum, she wouldn't be dead had guns been illegal.

However I can't help but think cases where young children ingest lethal materials and die are just ignored by the news media. I mean I did that and I had to go to hospital but I was fine, but there must be a lot more cases where kids die...

With guns I can't help but think that it's more final, kid makes a mistake and BOOM.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That controller looks insanely realistic, in fact probably too realistic, but still I blame the parents for leaving a loaded weapon that looks like a Wii perif sitting in a three year old's reach. Even I might have mixed the two up at first.

And again, why were they playing with something that looks like a real gun with a three year old, anyway?

cobrausn said:
I own a lot of guns, and this offends me.
I know what you mean. And this is going to give the anti-gun activists even more fuel for their fire, even though it was the idiot parent's fault. Now, asking you as a gun owner, would you leave your firearms in areas accessible to a toddler?

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
I really hope Chinese manufacturers get more flak about this than the video game industry. They probably won't, but I can hope.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Tenmar said:
Wait, hold up. Here is my question which makes me not completely believe that an american family had that specific wiimote accessory.

Where did they end up buying that accessory? Which store specifically? Because if the mother can answer that question then it will make this story a bit more believable. In all my time owning my Wii and looking at accessories third party and all I have NEVER seen that accessory here in the states and it's going to be very hard to prove that the family actually bought that accessory from China and if not China then a US small business store. You do not see those at a Best buy, Radio Shack or Fry's that's for certain.
Probably online. It wouldn't be hard to track online purchases, and NO retailer in the US could get away with selling that.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Answers the "she thought it was a Wii remote" question. She wasn't trying to blame the Wii or anything, with that peripheral, I was a little confused which one was real until the article told me.

Doesn't answer why the gun was left unlocked, safety off, loaded, and within reach of the child. I mean, the physical "why"; he left it out, is there, but why so irresponsible?

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Austin MacKenzie said:
Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

We wondered how a real gun was mistaken for a Wii gun, and with new information on the tragic death of a three-year-old girl, that question has been answered.

Yesterday, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98944-Child-Must-Have-Thought-a-Gun-Was-a-Wii-Remote-Mother-Says>The Escapist reported that a young girl had mistaken a gun for a Wii controller. Normally, a Wii controller, even a Wii gun controller, looks nothing like a real gun, but here, that was not the case.

Take a look at the picture here. The gun shown on top is an actual Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol. The gun shown on the bottom is a Wii peripheral known as WiiAuto Pistol, a realistic gun-like Wii attachment manufactured by Chinese company <a href=http://www.haihonggames.com/egsjj.htm>HAIHONGCHANG Electronics Company. The peripheral is widely available on eBay, and was in possession of the family.

The girl, identified as Cheyenne Alexis McKeehan, was playing in the living room a few feet away from her mother, who was on the computer. The night before, her step-father had left the gun on an end-table, having thought he heard intruders. Cheyenne, mistaking the real gun for the controller, picked it up and shot herself.

The police have filed no charges, but this does bring the situation into further light. It begs the question, why would you leave an unsecured weapon in reach of your daughter when she is already used to seeing such a thing as a toy? Furthermore, the parents specifically purchased a realistic gun peripheral, and then left a real gun well within reach. This tragedy could have been averted. If nothing else, this will hopefully be a lesson to other gun-owning households on keeping their guns out of reach, especially if their young children view them as toys.

Source: <a href=http://www.wsmv.com/news/22770717/detail.html>WSMV News via <a href=http://kotaku.com/5489137/wii-gun-involved-in-3+year+old-shooting-is-amazingly-lifelike?skyline=true&s=i>Kotaku

This raises issues form multiple different perspectives

First, why didn't the father immediately put away a loaded firearm into the secure compartment once he found that his home was safe, like anyone trained in the use of firearms knows to do?

Second, why is there such a thing in the home? If there are three year-olds in the house shouldn't the parents have considered not buying this thing?

And third, why would any company even think of building a Wii-mote that actually looks like a real gun? For goodness sake, anyone playing would be looking at the screen and not it, so the standard white one would do just as well. And since this version actually looks like a real gun not only can tragic events like this happen, but someone will eventually try to use it in a robbery and put their own lives at risk because the authorities will have to treat it as the real thing. I understand that personal customization is a big thing to a lot of people, but it should be within reason, unlike this truly stupid design.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
coldalarm said:
I thought all replica guns had to have some form of distinguishing mark on the barrel?
It's from China. It's likely they don't have those kinds of production laws over there.
If only they did, that girl may still be here. Sad ain't it? If only the parents had shown this earlier they would have sounded a bit less stupid. (Only a little though)

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
AboveUp said:
Geez... Anyone investing in that kind of WiiMote add-ons should be questioned.

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.
I saw the picture early today and I swear up and down the lower one was the real gun...

DreadfulSorry

Feb 3, 2009
"this will hopefully be a lesson to other gun-owning households on keeping their guns out of reach..."
Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world (one could argue it's not even an ideal one) and I'm sure there will be plenty of idiots who use this for a "realistic video games are bad" argument, rather than a "people should be more responsible with firearms" one...

zana bonanza

Oct 22, 2009
This is just tragic, and the blame lies 100% on the parents.

The Wii-mote-gun has little to do with it. Even if they didn't have that thing, chances are that the girl still would have picked up the gun and fired it anyway. Little kids are curious, especially at that age, and they'll think anything is a toy. They don't know any better.
But adults do. And what kind of moron leaves a loaded gun laying around anyway? I think that alone should count as child endangerment. And they should never be allowed to own a gun again. "She thought it was a toy" is not an excuse. The gun shouldn't have been out, the girl should have been watched. The parents were responsible for her, and now they are responsible for her death.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
CINN4M0N said:
AboveUp said:
Geez... Anyone investing in that kind of WiiMote add-ons should be questioned.

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.
Me too. Why is the real gun got wires coming out of it?
To discharge a modern automatic the battery (where the round in the chamber rests before firing) must be closed and locked. (This is, btw where locked and loaded comes from.) So long as that wire is running through the weapon's battery, it litterally cannot be fired by any means.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
hahaha stupid parents like this deserve to live with the knowledge knowing that they killed there child.why?

1. keep your guns in a safe place.
2. keep your LOADED guns in a safer place.
3. get some sort of safety device for your gun if you have kids
4. Don't be stupid parents like this.

i hope they don't have another kid...

ohh toss this one up to Darwin.....

dont take my guns away from me because of stupid people like this. There are millions of people who have guns and kids and nothing bad ever happens. My family has had guns all my life, they were never left out, I was told what guns where, how dangerous they are, how guns are not toys, ohh and NEVER point a gun fake or real at yourself or at others.

stupid parents....

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Arehexes said:
I saw the picture early today and I swear up and down the lower one was the real gun...
Yeah, the only reason I was able to tell with certainty was the proportions were wrong on the Beretta knockoff. It took me a second to process that the top one had to be the real one because it had one of those disabling straps the police use running through it.

I know semi-autos to a disturbing degree and it took me a second to process what I was looking at. (This is before I learned she was shot with a .380.)

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Lim3 said:
Its America's fault for giving the public easy access to firearms.
No. its stupid parents, there are plenty of guns in homes with kids, and everybody is safe...

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Starke said:
Arehexes said:
Yeah, the only reason I was able to tell with certainty was the proportions were wrong on the Beretta knockoff. It took me a second to process that the top one had to be the real one because it had one of those disabling straps the police use running through it.

I know semi-autos to a disturbing degree and it took me a second to process what I was looking at. (This is before I learned she was shot with a .380.)
I just can't get over how real it looks, it's a scary thought and I thought the US had laws where toy guns either has to have a odd color scheme (like the orange NES zapper) or a orange tip(like the remodeled megatron).