Girl's Death Linked to Realistic Gun-Shaped Wii Controller

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
coldalarm said:
I thought all replica guns had to have some form of distinguishing mark on the barrel?
It's from China. It's likely they don't have those kinds of production laws over there.
Anyone have laws about that? o_O

---

[sarcasm]
Besides that. Who would want a realistic gun-wiimote... Maybe even with blowback?... I mean... Any sane young person out there would ofc. choose a white or orange platic brick...
[/sarcasm]

I WANT ONE! The more realistic the better! I wanna feel the fucking recoil when i splatter out that freaking zombies head!

AboveUp said:
Geez... Anyone investing in that kind of WiiMote add-ons should be questioned.

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.
Question away.

SlingingRobin

Jan 22, 2010
Lim3 said:
Its America's fault for giving the public easy access to firearms.
No, it has nothing to do with that. The parents left a loaded gun on the table, safety off, within the reach of a three year old. Guns don't kill people, people use guns to kill YOU!

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Gimmi. A. Burger said:
Heart of Darkness said:
coldalarm said:
I thought all replica guns had to have some form of distinguishing mark on the barrel?
It's from China. It's likely they don't have those kinds of production laws over there.
Anyone have laws about that? o_O
I'm pretty sure the U.S. has laws that require fake guns to be capped with solid orange tips in order to identify it as a fake. If memory also serves, it's a felony to remove said caps from fake guns. I'm not sure if any other country has a law similar to this.

Also, don't ask for a source. I haven't seen the documentation first-hand, and I have no idea where to start looking for it. I've heard it through hearsay through my high school Thespian troupe, so I can also be wrong about this.

Lambchop

Mar 10, 2010
im surprised the gun isn't white really, don't know why but i guess i figured it would be..or that one that realistic was released, i helped a friend with a short film once and we had replica guns in it, we were told by police we had to destroy the fake guns as soon as filming was over because they were to realistic.

AND WHY IN GODS NAME WAS THE SAFETY OFF. irresponsible parenting and gun use, Jesus. how are they not being charged?

Nick Holmgren

Feb 13, 2010
well at least its not 100% un-explained why the parents blamed the wii, though it does raise eve more questions. still their fault mind you. also if you think someone might be robbing you then why the hell do u leave your loaded gun out? this seems fishy.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
*facepalm*
there's a reason most controller guns have been orange colored...

Also, take this as an example of why if you have guns in the house you should teach your children about them so they aren't as curious and don't play with them. Make sure they know proper gun safetiness and stuff.

Nov 5, 2007
mrx19869 said:
ShadowKirby said:
Nicarus said:
I am right with ya on that one. My god...how is this being left unpunished? It should be a crime in itself to act like nothing like this ever happened!
Their daughter is dead, that's a pretty big punishment if you ask me.
yeah but what happens when they make another kid?
Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but I doubt they'll do the same mistake twice.

Void(null) said:
Ladies and Gentlemen. Here we have a perfect example of Darwinism in action.

We have here a case of two stupid people, obviously too dumb to be breeding yet did so anyway, and so life has correct their happy little accident with one of its own.

Thus balance is restored and the gene pool is a little cleaner for the rest of us.
Dude, that's a pretty insensible thing to say.

playinthedark

Feb 15, 2010
SlingingRobin said:
Lim3 said:
Its America's fault for giving the public easy access to firearms.
No, it has nothing to do with that. The parents left a loaded gun on the table, safety off, within the reach of a three year old. Guns don't kill people, people use guns to kill YOU!
I could also say that frying pans don't cook eggs, people cook eggs... I think the point is if you take away the frying pan no one's doing any cooking!

Stupid parents + outdated civil rights concepts = Failure and tragedy.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
Tommy_Dizzle said:
Also, why wasn't the safety on?
It is a common misconception but not many handguns actually have safeties. The line of reasoning being that if someone who shouldn't have access to the weapon has access, than a tiny switch would be no greater a deterrent to use than the trigger itself.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
Dude, that's a pretty insensible thing to say.
Perhaps, but I really don't believe stupid people should be allowed to breed. You need a license to have a dog, you need to be trained and licensed to operate a car, the same should go for a child.

No one should be allowed to breed unless they can pass a basic IQ test, a medical test showing that they will not pass on any major birth defects to the child as well as a 6 month course on child rearing and parental responsibility. You can't meet all three of those? We have a pill to make it go away.

Not all life is precious, not every person is destined to cure cancer... some are destined to push shopping carts, or kill themselves or each other in acts of stupidity or for social dominance.

This isn't as if the kid broke into the gun cabinet or something. The parent left a loaded gun, without a safety feature on a surface, unattended and where the child could reach.

If you have even the slightest bit of common sense or the tinest amount of worth as a human being or a parent... you don't leave a loaded gun on an end table with a 3 year old running around. You just don't do it.

Tequnuki

Mar 10, 2010

The step-father left a loaded weapon, in the same room as a child who would see it as a toy.

The government allowing the manufacture/import/export of a toy that looks like a gun (has no color markings or modifications to distinguish it) is completely separate to the issue of the stupidity of parents who left a lethal object in reach of a toddler, be it a gun, a knife or a pot of boiling water. Will this tragedy be spun into the violent games debate? probably.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Okay so a kid thinks a gun is a toy and shoots themselves. It's happened before, it will happen again. There are plenty of problems with this on a number of levels.

However this is only a big deal because it's being tied to the Wii. Sure we can talk about how this has nothing to do with video games specifically, and how logical our reasoning is, but the problem is that 99% of the people out there will never hear what is said here on The Escapist, especially by users. The same goes for other video game forums that might be commenting on this.

This again gets back to the issue of the game industry sitting back and taking it as opposed to fighting back, and doing what they need to do in order to get impartial coverage of their point of view in newspapers and such. Heck, I haven't checked it out recently, but how many video game companies buy ad space routinely in say The New York Times (despite how much it doubtlessly costs). I mean if nothing else if the industry bought a bunch of space in some of these news periodicals that run "OMG Video Games" articles and did so constantly the management would of course chill things out a bit. Making the dark side of the whole "Kane and Lynch" fiasco work for the good of the game industry as a whole so to speak.

Such are my thoughts.

What's more this girl is like three years old if I remember correctly (I could have that wrong). At that age kids require constant supervision, and honestly I can't see why a three year old would be reaching for a Wii controller on their own anyway.

I also can't help but wonder at a lot of these cases of kids shooting themselves (including some that are older) I tend to get suspicious about that because most guns aren't all that touchy to be honest, and even very young children know what end the bullet comes out of, this being learned from watching TV Cowboys and such (Yosemite Sam anyone?). It takes some doing for a kid, especially a very young one, to manuver a gun into a position where the business end is pointing at them and pull the trigger. Guns aren't as light as many people think (and young children are weak) guns do not typically go off randomly when dropped (it can happen but not that frequently, and really unless it's a ricochet it's hard to believe.

Nothing to do with this case specifically, but a lot of times I can't help but wonder if parents having trouble with child rearing who want an EZ out when they realize what it entails, blow their kids away, and then claim it was an accident of this sort.

To look at this case for example, I'd think all the variables involved in that accident (gun accidently left out in same place as nearly identical looking Wii controller, etc...) are actually far greater than some frustrated parents icing their kid as "unthinkable" as that is (and in this world of child abuse it's becoming a lot less unthinkable). Occam's Razor and all that.

Also while I am rambling part of me thinking this way comes from years of experience with people getting very enraged with children in general, and talking about wanting to kill them and such (ESPECIALLY teachers, day care providers, and parents). One of the reasons why I've often defended "child murder" in games as simply catering to an impulse that everyone feels when dealing with little snots or out of control brats. However in some cases it goes beyond blowing off steam and talking Sh@t while frustrated.

Also smart people realize that the best crimes involve the simplest actions and the least variables. A home firearms accident has an easier chance of getting by with minimal problem for the parents in the long run (key term here) than say belting your kids in the back seat of a car and driving it into a lake, or molesting your daughter, killing her, and then claiming it happened while you weren't home or whatever.

My myriad (and frankly quite disturbing) thoughts.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
I'm sure the gaming community will be blamed for this, but I really do feel bad for the girl, and the abusive conditions she lived in, if anyone to blame, it is the parents.

Lets put aside the fact that she wanted to play Wii, and lets put aside that fact that the wii attachment was shaped like a gun, which isn't a good idea. (And I promise you Nintendo would not approve of this attachment.)

And now putting all that aside lets focus on the real issue here.....

HER PARENTS LEFT A LOADED GUN WITHIN HER REACH!!!!!

I'm all for the 2nd amendment, I even own a few guns to blow some steam off at the firing range. But I do not believe in having your guns in plain view, much less letting your children have access to them whether it be intentional or not.

The neglection of the parents is what is responsible for this girls death, and nothing more.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
AboveUp said:
Geez... Anyone investing in that kind of WiiMote add-ons should be questioned.

If the article didn't tell me which gun was real, I would've said it was the lower one.
Me too. What happened to white Wii controllers? Even better, blue?

Varchld

is drunk and disorderly.
Nov 8, 2008
Have to admit that I haven't read all the comments, but i'm curious how many people here had a toy gun as a kid.
My place when I was growing up had half a dozen plastic weapons around, all of which were more realistic then any peripheral that i've managed to find.
The Wiiauto gun in this case is pretty close, but still the problem is with the parents and nothing to do with a computer system at all.