Give an object a more appropriate name.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
So a few days ago I was just browsing the interwebz as most of us do, when I came upon a question: "Who the fuck named them jet-skis instead of Boatercycles?"
And so I thought "that's a good question, I wonder how many other things out there could have much more fitting names"

And now I bring that question to the escapist. What object would you give a more fitting name than it already has?

Henrik Knudsen

Apr 15, 2013
Would you rather be cool and hip on a jet-ski than rather awkward on a boatercycle? :)

Can't think of anything at the moment I would rename myself though.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Keyboard should be called Rage Sponge for whenever somone gets pissed at computer they always punch keyboard as if it was at fault that this idiot from across the globe is teabagging you with a tank.

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
The woodwind instrument called the recorder should be renamed "Tube of Hate"

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
I tried to come up with "vertiambulator" or something to describe the box you get in which takes you up and down. The problem with "lift", shared by "elevator" and "escalator" is that none of them can go down.

The problem with my suggestion is that "verti-" in Latin doesn't mean "on the Y axis", so I couldn't come up with a prefix which means that.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I like the xkcd one for Saturn 5 rockets: Up goer 5.

http://xkcd.com/1133/

I'm not good enough to come up with my own though.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
They should re-name yacht a "look-how-rich-I-am"
also an egg-beater should be an egg stirrer.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Modern games 'controlers' should be renamed 'influencers'... because modern computors and consoles don't always do what you fucking well tell them too...

Oh... and the Kinect 'you are the controller' thing... Dafuq!? I already was! My handset wasn't playing the game... I was! :/

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
instead of just calling our moon 'the moon', i think it should be called 'luna'. also 'the sun' should be called 'sol'.

i maean, using 'the moon' and 'the sun' would be just like calling earth 'the planet'.

one other thing, any of you heard of nightcore? the genre of techno music? i for one think the name is INCREDIBLY misleading; doesnt sound like the actually music it describes AT ALL.

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
TheFunPolice said:
They should have named cricket "****** Paddle"
"oooo. spank me with your ****** paddle, mistress!!~"

OT: longarm sounds cooler than rifle, it should be the standard term.

so does scattergun compared to shotgun.

also crossbow bolts should just be arrows because we already have normal guns that use bolt action.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
YingDerpington said:
So a few days ago I was just browsing the interwebz as most of us do, when I came upon a question: "Who the fuck named them jet-skis instead of Boatercycles?"
And so I thought "that's a good question, I wonder how many other things out there could have much more fitting names"
Jet-Skis aren't boats or cycles. You don't travel inside them like you do with a boat, you ride on them and unlike a boat or a ship, they travel across the surface of the water rather than through it with a significant portion of it's hull submerged.

They aren't propelled by cylindrical wheel (like Unicycles, Bicycles, Tricycles or Motorcycles), but instead by water jets, hence the name Jet-Ski, because they employ a jet to ski across the water.

Most modes of transport have simple and logical names which are usually derived from their method of propulsion and design.